Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Question Tires not for 5th wheel use?

I put Goodyear Tracker ll LT tires, load range E on my fifth wheel and bought the road hazard warranty a couple of years ago. A couple of weeks ago I had a flat, took it to Walmart (where I purchased the tires) for repair and was told that a nail caused the flat and it could not be repaired. It had about 4000 miles on it. I was told the warranty did not cover that, but when I checked with another Walmart I was told it should be covered by the road hazard warranty. I sent a email to the Walmart head office and later received a call from the store that I purchased the tires from-they said that they would pay for my replacement tire but that they should not have sold me the road hazard warranty since Goodyear LT tires are not made for 5th wheels and Goodyear will not warrant them for that use. (this surprised me since my 5er came with Goodyear LT wranglers from the factory and the tire plate on the 5er recommends LT load E tires). I could not find any info on the goodyear web site-Have any of you had the same problem with Goodyear tires not being covered when used on fifth wheels? (I am happy with Walmart covering the replacement cost but in the future I will make sure they write on the sales slip that they know the tires are for a 5er.)
jjorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #2

Walmart will not cover your trailer tire for sure if you have such written on your reciept. Went thru that little set up more than once both with Wally World and Goodyear stores. got away from Walmart tire shop and also Goodyear tires to solve problem of numerous tires with tread seperations.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Aside from the ST-type Goodyear Marathons, many 5th wheels came with LT-labeled Goodyear Wrangler HT tires as OEM equipment - an example being our previous Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS that came with LT235/85R-16 load range E (3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) Wrangler HTs. Goodyear's webside used to list these as being recommended for trailer applications, but they've become somewhat ambiguous on the subject and now just state that they're suitable for RV applications (whatever that means) - see HERE.

Even Goodyear's trailer-specific G614 RST tire is labeled as an LT-type tire (LT235/85R-16 Load Range G - 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG), so don't get caught up in the "only ST tires should be installed on a trailer" myth.

As an aside, after recurring tread separation problems with Goodyear tires on 3 each 5th wheels we've owned, I have switched over to Michelins on the last 2 5th wheels and have never had a problem since.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #4

The DOT says that any DOT certified tire (P - LT - ST) can be used on the RV trailer axles provided they meet the minimum requirements provided on the vehicle certification label/tire placard. The maximum weight capability depicted on the sidewall of the P - passenger - tire must be divided by 1.1 to find the maximum load capacity when used on the RV trailer.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #5

I hate to post these kinds of references but in this case I’m forced to because some readers of these postings don’t take the time to digest enough of the information provided to make an accurate statement from them. Many times in these references other regulation numbers are given that have precedence. And to add to the confusion factor one reference may not refer to another that is actually working hand and glove with it.

The reference below gives the basics and many of them will be used with the higher rated wheel/tire selections.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49CFR571.110

Here is a “hand and glove” safety rule. Scroll down to “Tire Size”.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesonit/brochure.html

Here is some very good information from a trailer manufacturer. When you get to the “Tire Size” you will find the NHSTA safety statement.

http://www.felling.com/parts/service/tiresafety/index.asp

Take a look in your owners manual. Many items discussed in there are DOT mandated. Replacement tire size is one of them. I have a Keystone product so I keep their generic manual in my computer files. Take a look at page 15, Everybody is going to say that.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Owners_Manual_08_09.pdf

Here is a different tack by an automotive industry provider. You will find the end results to be the much same.

http://www.tiresafety.com/replacement.asp

That’s just a drop in the bucket of the references I have available on this subject.

FastEagle
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #6

The rules for the tires we use on our highways here in the USA are required for our own protection. There are no real absolutes when it comes to tires that hold air. So, many of the rules are recommendations. We are recommended to use a numbered pressure values set at ambient temperatures for our tires. An absolute pressure is not obtainable because of the design of the tires we use on our vehicles.

When the Vehicle manufacturer selects the tires and sets the pressure values for them it has been determined they are the model expert and their tire/pressure selection will remain the same as long as the tires are being used. When replacements are required it’s also recommended that the same size and type tire be used. You’re not locked into that. Name brands are never mentioned. Tire manufacturers are never mentioned. Load ranges and tire load capacities are mentioned. If the model expert has given a minimum value to use why would you dispute that information? Logic alone should tell us that we must stay within the parameters set in motion by the model manager expert. So we need to make the decision to stick with the status quo or increase our prospect of safety by increasing the minimum requirements the expert has given us. It’s a simple decision, bigger is better. Don’t be duped by durability. Tires rated at 3000# have no hidden values. Tires rated at 3500# ARE stronger. Until proven wrong by DOT testing they will remain stronger.

In another forum I had a poster tell me his tires were replaced because they started forming bubbles in the sidewalls. He was so loyal to that particular type of tire that he refused to admit it had already failed. Don’t sidetrack safety with that type of logic.

FastEagle
Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedanie View Post
What FastEagle failed to say was that the placard info only applies to the original(first) seller of the RV. After that, the only rule that applies is that the tires must be equal to or greater than than the axle/wheel load limits. Basically, you can put on any tire you want so long as it meets the load requirements.

Keith
FastEagle never said a word about any placard...YOU DID!

FastEagle
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The DOT says that any DOT certified tire (P - LT - ST) can be used on the RV trailer axles provided they meet the minimum requirements provided on the vehicle certification label/tire placard. The maximum weight capability depicted on the sidewall of the P - passenger - tire must be divided by 1.1 to find the maximum load capacity when used on the RV trailer.

FastEagle
Cal,

Read your own post!!!

Keith
kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedanie View Post
Cal,

Read your own post!!!

Keith
The posting is not about the placard. It's about tires that can be used on the RV trailer axles. Which is all of the above as I posted it.

FastEagle
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

Actually I just like to post things about tires that are printed by the sources that control them. Also about information not commonly known. The majority of people have numerous misconceptions about tires in general. Forums being what they are do not tend to lend an ear to long drawn out discussions. So I just post things trying to stay under a couple of hundred words. Here is a fact that is seldom pondered. Between the LT and ST tires most often debated the 16” Load Range E tire can be rated as low as 2680# to as high as 3640#, all at 80 psi.

I’m not much at giving my opinion as it may suit only me. Posting factual things are also dangerous because someone may follow along and post things about your posts that are completely out of context.

Tires, for all practical purposes, are individual units that have to stand on their own merits and the conditions they are kept in. Therefore the debate will never satisfy all participants.

The OP has run into some really bad information.
Goodyear makes both LT and ST tires for the RV trailer. Usually the only certified tire person at a Walmart with tire servicing facilities will be the auto department manager. The very best way to find out something about a Goodyear tire is to go to a Goodyear dealer or email their tire experts. They will answer you within 24 hours.

FastEagle

p.s. That’s the end of my participation in this thread!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #11

Load range E for the truck is right. My trailer weighs 15,000 lbs loaded. I had G614 G range on it for a total load capability of 15,000 lbs. I had 2 blowouts on 4 year old tires and changed to 17.5" J rated tires for a capacity of 19,000 lbs. I now have an excess capacity of 4000 lbs and hope that will stop the blowouts. I keep the tire pressure where it should be. Put tires on the trailer that give you an excess of 4000 Lbs. You will not be sorry. Both my truck and trailer are wearing Michelins.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote