Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

To buy used now, or to buy new later?

So I'm getting into a little dilemma. I would like others opinion about whether to purchase a cheaper used 5ver in a year or wait possibly 4 to 5 years and then get something that I love not like. This is why I raise the question.

I have access to my dad's 24 footer that I could use throughout the season, but the one time we both go on a 9 day trip together gets really cramped for 4 adults. And now more family members are showing interest in wanting to come up for a couple days as well. Now that 5ver seams big enough but gets very cramped very quick.

So me and my wife are really wanting to get a unit of our own to have more space BUT, the question is, buy cheaper used now, or wait and get something that we love later?

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thank you.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd get a used unit now and enjoy it, then get something else later. I say that because life throws curves at you!
I retired in 1999 at 51, kept working as an IT contractor till the bottom fell out. Then my parents needed more and more help and moving to higher care places. Took over doing all their financial stuff too. Then they both died within a month of each other.
DW kept working. The week she put in for her retirement her daughter died and left us with two grandkids to raise. One is still with us (15 now) but the other has moved out (22 now). So she cancelled her retirement.
Then the DW got sick and has been off work for three years now, was on short term and then long term disability. Then April 30th they terminated her from her job and we lost medical and dental coverage so went on COBRA at $1,430+/month. Also finding out the they aren't paying the medical bills like the brochure says.
Then in June they diagnosed her with liver cancer. Just yesterday we got word that it might be treatable but we don't know for sure.
Anyway, do things with the family while you can!! You just never know What life will throw your way!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

That much I do know. That's why the used unit is coming into play now. Its been 11 years since I was forced to sell my popup. In the following years I've looked at expendables, tt's, but settled on 5vers due to safety of towing and large living space. I'm almost to the point I can get another one after so many years just don't want to make the wrong choice.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'd get a used unit now and enjoy it, then get something else later. I say that because life throws curves at you!
I retired in 1999 at 51, kept working as an IT contractor till the bottom fell out. Then my parents needed more and more help and moving to higher care places. Took over doing all their financial stuff too. Then they both died within a month of each other.
DW kept working. The week she put in for her retirement her daughter died and left us with two grandkids to raise. One is still with us (15 now) but the other has moved out (22 now). So she cancelled her retirement.
Then the DW got sick and has been off work for three years now, was on short term and then long term disability. Then April 30th they terminated her from her job and we lost medical and dental coverage so went on COBRA at $1,430+/month. Also finding out the they aren't paying the medical bills like the brochure says.
Then in June they diagnosed her with liver cancer. Just yesterday we got word that it might be treatable but we don't know for sure.
Anyway, do things with the family while you can!! You just never know What life will throw your way!
Life does tend to throw us some curves. I'm sorry you've had so many. My wife has many health issues, too, so we are "doing it" while we can. God bless and keep you.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

I am on my third fiver now and my first one was bought used at a decent price. I was not sure if this is what we wanted or not as the DW wanted a Class A. I did not want a Class A since I already had the TV so she agreed. We bought used first to find out what we really wanted and we are now on our third fiver. Buying used allowed us to see if this is want we wanted to do and not spend a lot of money getting into Rving again.

Jim
Old 07-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

I say get a used 5er that you love now and then get out there and enjoy life with your family.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of your situation..

We bought a good used..will re evaluate after 1st season of long timing...

Grassy
Old 07-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

Used Now. And start enjoying rving.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

I've been looking at new, but life has given us some new things to work through and I have had to look at used. Have to get out and enjoy the beautiful scenery while its there.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy a used 5er. One that your wife likes. Before any handshake or money is extended, have the unit inspected by a pro. Looking especially at ceiling & roof for leaks & damage. Make sure that all appliances work or if they don't, use as negotiating tool on price. Tires - check date of manufacture. Again use as negotiating tool if over 5-7 years old. Brakes & bearings conditions. Be diligent on front end, not surprised on back end.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

That I won't be. When my dad bought his he didn't look close enough and when he got it home and for the first time was flushing the tanks there was a big leak. We went under and the plumbing looked like it was backed into a curb. All patched up in a couple days and that was the only issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #12

If ST tires are 5 years old,toss them and buy LTs (as long as the rim is 16 inches).

life is too short for blow outs..
Old 07-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #13

One of our camping buddies had a blow out on tires with less than 3k on them. Tires are high on my list. That's one thing I learned on here.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #14

Thanks for the input everyone. Hopeing in the next 12 to 18 months we will have our own unit and enjoying the wonderful outdoors with all of you.