Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

To de-bag or not to de-bag.....

That is the question.

I have a TH thats about 7 years old. As with most RV/trailers, sun has shinned on it most of the time. The fiberglass is showing a little oxidation and I plan on taking care of that with some compound but just haven't had time. I'm not worried about the fiberglass but some of the stickers are showing a little cracking. No peeling that I have noticed. So because I kinda like the look of a de-bagged RV, I thought about just taking them all off so I no longer have to deal with them but thought I'd check with all you guys to see if its a lot of work, worth the effort, or whatever advice anyone can suggest. Thank you.
steveatpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
de-bagged? How can you remove bags when they aren't there to begin with?

Or do you mean de-badged, which is to remove all the badges (decals)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

De-badged..... Decals.
steveatpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I like the decals because it seems to add a little something to an other wise plain white wall, but to each is their own.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

Does anybody make a line of good quality stock decals? Most sign shops can produce them from a digital image (and its mirror if you want the sides to match). Since I don't have a suitable level of artistic training, I am open to ideas.

If it is not peeling, is it necessary to invest the time and effort to peel first, rather than just sticking new over old? I am assuming that the new vinyl will act to preserve the old adhesive underneath to some degree.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

If I had the money, I would de badge it, and have it painted.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

There are a couple of methods to remove old decals. Be aware that you will see a difference in color between where the decal was and where it was not. One method is to use a heat gun and plastic scraper to remove the decals. I have used a 3M decal removeal wheel in a hand drill. Cost is about $40 and is quick once you get the feel. I do not recommend putting new decals over old ones.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

I like using steam and a plastic scraper.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #9

Where is the Kitty?

I did this removed all the front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1316.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	27922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1318.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	27923  

Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003
I did this removed all the front
Haha you debagged your trailer and added the cheesy "power wagon" to your truck!
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailer6334
There are a couple of methods to remove old decals. Be aware that you will see a difference in color between where the decal was and where it was not. One method is to use a heat gun and plastic scraper to remove the decals. I have used a 3M decal removeal wheel in a hand drill. Cost is about $40 and is quick once you get the feel. I do not recommend putting new decals over old ones.
When using the heat gun, what do you look for to judge that you have applied enough heat and not too much? I have charred the wood a few times when trying to remove stubborn paint from furniture and doors. Which solvent did you use to remove the remaining adhesive?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #12

LOL....at Cheesy remark....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
Haha you debagged your trailer and added the cheesy "power wagon" to your truck!
What do You have ? The Wagon make You wish You had one Boy?Small people like You should keep Your coments to Your self...I ...Will ...Bushman
Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
What do You have ? The Wagon make You wish You had one Boy?Small people like You should keep Your coments to Your self...I ...Will ...Bushman

Yes, my Silverado 3500HD DRW CC LB Diesel is small... Right...
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
Yes, my Silverado 3500HD DRW CC LB Diesel is small... Right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
Brave you two, brave
If you didn't notice Bush, it was a JOKE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
When using the heat gun, what do you look for to judge that you have applied enough heat and not too much? I have charred the wood a few times when trying to remove stubborn paint from furniture and doors. Which solvent did you use to remove the remaining adhesive?
If you heat the decals too much, they will wrinkle and start getting thin.
I heat the whole area of the decal that I'm about to do, then start pulling, adding just short (.5 sec) bursts at a time.