Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

I might go. That way. Tomorrow I'm just gonna do a massive flush job and see what happens. I won't know until I'm camping I think but I'm gonna fill the tanks a few times and see what happens
Kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #16

Try dumping a few 10 lb bags of ice down the toliet then tow your unit 10 miles or so. The ice will help clean the tank. That is all I can think of...
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #17

Oh...forgot to mention maybe clean the toliet seal that holds water in the bowl. Maybe the burping is water leaking past the seal.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #18

On my unit, the vent for the grey water is common with the vent for the black water. They rise from the tanks independently, but then join before they get to the roof, and only one pipe goes thru the roof.

Is it possible you are pouring water down the vent, and it is going into the grey water tank? Perhaps there is still a clog at the bottom of the black water tank vent pipe?

I believe in this picture, the straight pipe is the vent for my grey water, and the one that goes half way up and then joins it is the vent for the black water tank.

If I look in the water tank bay, I can see clearly that my black water tank is forward of my grey water tank. On mine, the toilet and the drains are on the road side of the MH, and the vents are on the curb side. So, clearly there are some differences in the build of our rigs, but I thought I might give you some ideas to consider.

My unit is an old one ('88 Southwind) but perhaps if your vent is like this, it would explain why you think the vent is clear, but it is not.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post

I watched that you tub video and while I don't do it exactly the same way, I am pretty damn close to his way. I also use scott tissue. Have always used it for my 15 plus years of camping and never had any issues. Maybe I should switch to the RV paper?
That is one thing nice about the video method, it will dissolve paper jams. Put a sheet of your paper in a jar of water, if it dissolves.......it's no different than the over priced RV paper. If you don't have the clear sewer hose tube, run to Walmart to pick one up.....it makes a big difference seeing if your tank is really clean and you can also see if any blockage has finally let go.

Since I started useing this method, I have not used one drop of tank chemicals.

There have also been stories where the cut outs for a black tank have fallen inside and caused blockages. Good luck and let us know what finally worked.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #20

Here is an update, and yes, I have the clear elbow and have always used one.

I was at the dump station and I drained everything, and filled the black tank 3 times through the black tank flush and emptied it all again. I also used a wand down the toilet with the spinner head on it, and probably half a dozen 5 gallon pals of water down the toilet. By the time I was done, the water coming out was clean, cleaner than what comes out of the grey dank. There were not any signs of solids at all.

After that , I flushed several timesaver, and did not have a bubble at all. I filled the black tank again until it read 2/3 full, and when I flushed the toilet, I was getting the burp again.
At this point I'm wondering it the vent pipe slid down into the tank or was too low to begin with and is getting obstructed when the tank reaches a certain level? Maybe I never noticed it.
Last year I let the tank get to full several times and never noticed an issues.

I finished filling the tank until it read full, there was still a good amount of room in there, and then I dumped again, and all the water was pretty much crystal clear.

When I started this weekend, there was def a clog, because water backed up right into the toilet, but at this point, I just don't see how that is possible, that water coming out was so clean, and there were not any traces of solids at all
Old 05-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post
At this point I'm wondering it the vent pipe slid down into the tank or was too low to begin with and is getting obstructed when the tank reaches a certain level? Maybe I never noticed it.
Last year I let the tank get to full several times and never noticed an issues.
My parents had problem with theirs and came to find out it was not the vent pipe, but the toilet drain pipe itself that went too far down into the tank. So things like that can happen from the factory.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
My parents had problem with theirs and came to find out it was not the vent pipe, but the toilet drain pipe itself that went too far down into the tank. So things like that can happen from the factory.
This is the problem we had with our last fiver. I wonder if you have the same issue with the drain line or the vent line. Maybe you have some leftovers stuck in the bottom of the vent line that are not flushing out.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #23

One other way to try and troubleshoot the burping is to hold open the toilet valve while draining the black tank. If you get no burps while the toilet ball valve is open means you are getting adequate ventilation. Sounds like the vent line could be partially submerged in the liquid of the black tank. Does the burping occur when the tank is full? If so, that could possibly answer your question but if the burping occurs at a low level then the vent is obstructed. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Maybe it's time to take a look inside the black tank....

http://www.amazon.com/Supereyes-Insp...s=camera+probe
A Colonoscapy for your RV?
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
REF: Toilet Burping

For what it's worth, I had the same problem this past week-end at with my RV toilet burping, actually causing water to splash out of the toilet while flushing. My tanks were reading about 1/2 full at the time. What I found was actually some sort of blockage between the tank and outlet valve. I flushed the tank with water only to have it actually back-up until the toilet started to fill up. I ended up having to manually remove about 10 gallons of water using a bucket/scooper method and re-flushing several times. After about 3-4 times of flushing, it finally let loose with a significant BURP and voila, the burp and cause(s) were washed away. I should point out that the flushing was done with the hose actually stuck into the toilet with wand attached. I have built-in tank flush, but it didn't do the trick. I don't have the clear elbows like shown in the youtube video, but will be getting them, they definitely are the way to go. End result for me was no more burping toilet and everything worked fine the rest of the week-end. Good Luck.
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #26

Well, after several flushing attempts, this appears to be happening when my tanks read 2/3 full. I had it filled with just water, got to 2/3 and burp.
emptied the tanks, and no flushing issues at all. I also tried to flush the toilet with the black tank valve open, and no problems there. I did start this whole process with a clog, as water did back up into my toilet, but im pretty confident that is gone now, and there is another issue. Id love to take a peak in there, but I don't have a snake cam, and I don't want to buy one just for this at $100 a pop. Hoping the dealer comes back with something, they are working with me now