Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Hmm, mine has been through numerous automated car washes across the continent. Imagine that.
A DRW or SRW? I would pay extra to have my DRW fit in a car wash. Beats the heck out of hand washing it all the time. But... that's really the only down side I've noticed with my dually, so I can live with it.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
A DRW or SRW? I would pay extra to have my DRW fit in a car wash. Beats the heck out of hand washing it all the time. But... that's really the only down side I've noticed with my dually, so I can live with it.
DRW or I would not have mentioned it. Always went through touchless car washes, but it always fitted so far. Probably done it 5 to 7 times.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #31

A Tommy’s Express opened up near me and it’s great with a dually. They are expanding rapidly so maybe one is close to many of you! I still hand wash in the summer but it’s great in the winter!
Old 06-14-2022, 07:47 AM   #32

Quote:
DRW or I would not have mentioned it. Always went through touchless car washes, but it always fitted so far. Probably done it 5 to 7 times.
Lucky you!

There are none in North Alabama that fits my truck unfortunately. :(
Old 06-14-2022, 07:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Lucky you!

There are none in North Alabama that fits my truck unfortunately. :(
Do they say so? Are there ramps that are too narrow for the DRW?

I gotta admit the 1st time was intimidating, but after trying it it has always fitted everywhere I've tried it.

I prefer using a waterless wash'n wax at the campground anyway. I do it early AM while the GF is still snoring.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Do they say so? Are there ramps that are too narrow for the DRW?

I gotta admit the 1st time was intimidating, but after trying it it has always fitted everywhere I've tried it.

I prefer using a waterless wash'n wax at the campground anyway. I do it early AM while the GF is still snoring.

I know so. My 2500 would barely fit in only 1 of the car washes. They're automated and the guide rails are too tight. I actually tore the sidewall on one of my 2500 tires trying to get through the bigger of our 4 options.

My DRW won't even come close. I've actually talked about opening a wider one for bigger trucks here. We could probably make a fortune doing so.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:43 AM   #35

The only issue I ever had in an automated car wash was in Tennessee due to length, not width.
My truck is 24 feet long bumper to bumper and I unthinkingly left a Blue Ox hitch in the receiver. The car wash had a gate that dropped down behind the vehicle (never saw that before) and it got hung up on the hitch. That was embarrassing!
Old 06-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #36

We pull 13,000 pound 5er with a SRW Ram Diesel 2017 using an Anderson hitch (85pounds) and I could not be happier.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #37

We have a 2006 Carriage Carri-Lite weighing in at about 17,750. Towed it for many years with a 2005 F250 diesel. I just switched to a 2016 Ram 3500 dually. Love the change, and would never go back to an SRW.
Audioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #38

Go dually- brand of your of choice. The stability is worth it.

The Journey Continues
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #39

Towable Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikinBikin View Post
at the risk of opening a BIG can o' worms ...
Just purchased our retirement home - a 38' Alliance Paradigm 340RL (38', 16,500 lbs). Other than this opp came up and we just jumped at it, we had no pref of truck 1st vs camper. Now, we are in search of a tow vehicle. (And maybe a hitch. Generator. Solar components. Washer & dryer. Places to stay.) Want to stay w SRW, as it will be our only ride, and the wide hips on the dually can be an issue. (I know, I was raised on a farm and have some knowledge of driving the old 3500 around town! )
Found a few Rams, Fords suitable for the task; less so Chev/GMCs.

Our intro to camping was a 21FBS Starcraft getting yanked around by a 2017 Ford Expedition. Almost 3 years with the combo and part-timing it, we want to give full-time RVing a go.

So - what say you?
From 1998 to 2021 I towed Malibu's, 4 different ones, about 180,000 miles without a towing problem. Some models and years are not towable 4 wheels down but check the operators manual.
Hung up the keys last year
Pine Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a Freightliner Class 8 and enjoy the drive. A Cascadia or M2 with crew cab and L9 Cummins will have the power for going up mountains and engine braking down. It has the weight and brakes to tow and stop and not be pushed around by the trailer. It eliminates the worry about will the pickup be able to stop quickly and haul the load, and the M2 can carry a lot more heavy cargo.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:37 AM   #41

Quote:
I know so. My 2500 would barely fit in only 1 of the car washes. They're automated and the guide rails are too tight. I actually tore the sidewall on one of my 2500 tires trying to get through the bigger of our 4 options.

My DRW won't even come close. I've actually talked about opening a wider one for bigger trucks here. We could probably make a fortune doing so.

You need to find a carwash with the conveyer belt setup, and not the old school rail type setup. I know they have them throughout the US, and I've reluctantly had my 3 month old DRW long bed through a local wash at least 4 times with no problems, or scratches that I could see. It's not touchless but does a WAY better job than touchless. It even buffs it dry after going through the blow dryer. The new tech is pretty good and car washes have come a long way. I used to never go through washes but it's tough during the winter months to do it by hand, and a DRW CCLB is a lot of real estate to wash by hand so it sure is convenient to just go through a wash from time to time.

My local wash is the same as this one:

To the OP, I'd suggest going with a DRW as mentioned by many others. I believe the rig you'll be hauling is a toy hauler? They're super heavy and you won't have much payload left with a SRW once you hook up.
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I looked for a 340RL a couple of years ago when were shopping. Couldn't find one close enough to go see but I had included it on my list of possibilities. You need to account for things like a generator and washer/dryer which will add quite a bit to the hitch weight. My Pinnacle's listed hitch weight was less than 2500 pounds but adding a Splendide washer/dryer and loading it up for a month long trip increased it to 3120. I'm only familiar with Ford but I do know a short bed diesel would not work for me as most of the payload capacities I saw was in the 3200 to 3300 range. My long bed has 4054 and works great with my fifth wheel. I would think something in the 4K payload range would work for you.

Most will say dual. I've had 2 and never want another one, to each their own. As far as handling and stability I can't tell the difference between our previous F350 dually towing a heavier Excel. In fact, I think this combo has much better road manners.
I don't know about the 340RL, but we bought a 385FL a few months ago.
With many tools and an air compressor in the front bay plus a Honda 3000 in the genny compartment my pin weight is 3140#. That is 300# less than our old 36 ft front bedroom.
I have pulled goosenecks and fifth wheels since the early 70s with SRWs. 2K# bulls moving around were always the biggest challenge.
I never wanted a dually either. I always chose my trailers and loaded them keeping the capacity of the rear axle and tires in mind.
My only "bad" experience with a truck was with an F600 dump truck on the I at 60mph. One rear tire blew and took out the other one. I guess the split second between blowouts might have let me slow down a little.
Give me a SRW like my Ram with good tires anytime!
CUtgrfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow