Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Storage

we're new at this but have done a lot of looking and research on TT vs. 5th wheel vs. Class A and concluded that a 5th wheel looks like it would fit us best. In the 'nothing's ever easy' category we learned that our HOA doesn't allow pickup trucks of any kind.

Our 2nd choice is a Class A but then I got to thinking about storing the tow vehicle as well as the trailer. More cost I know but not enough to play in our decision so my question is, what issues other than storage cost are there with storing the truck?

Thanks.
Rrcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
IC2

There really aren't any issues storing the truck that, if you went with a Class A wouldn't be similar. You need to start and drive it occasionally up to operating temperature and 'rotate' the tires to road heat as some brands will flat spot.

I'm surprised that a HOA prohibits pickup these days as they are the nation's best sellers. I would discuss that with the HOA committee as it just may be something that dates from years past. Pickups can be as luxurious as a BMW, and IMO, look as nice and a lot more useful.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

I thought my HOA was strict. I get not allowing commercial vehicles or rotted out vehicles, but pick ups should be allowed. If your HOA is that strict, I would anticipate grief from them for parking any RV overnight as most allow for trip prep.

As far as storing, I rent covered storage that is large enough to accommodate both truck and trailer. Many leave the tow vehicles connected to the trailer in storage
Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #4

Sounds to me like it's one of those convoluted logics where they mandate no vehicles parked outside...garage door heights no higher than 7 foot...some pickups can't fit through 7 foot doors...no pickups allowed...[emoji43]
Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

Sorry in my opinion time to move!!!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Sorry in my opinion time to move!!!
The OP lives in Florida - and a strict HOA in many areas there is normal and is the main reason we don't have a home there.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #7

Even if he could convince them it was his daily driver, some people don't want to daily drive a 1 ton (esp. if its a dually).

In this case I wouldn't bother buying a new $70k pickup just to have to pay to park it for 10/months a year - I'd go Class A and just park and maintain one item. use your daily driver now as a toad.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps the HOA is not so relevant.
In regards to storing any vehicle you'd do well to do you're annual maint. prior to storage (oil / fluid changes etc.). Use an approved fuel stabilizer gas/diesel in a full tank. Install a smart rather inexpensive battery "tender" to keep the battery(s) from decaying.
Should be good, Enjoy.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tow