Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Towing a 5r

I have towed a number of different size trailers but all have been receiver type of hitches. Well I just bought a 37' Montana 3720RL and I am waiting for my Chevy 3500 to arrive. Any advice for this newbe fifth wheel tower.
goinfulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

*Due to pivot point over trucks rear axle the 5vr will track inside of truck when making turns....watch that curb hopping
*When backing up takes lots of input to truck steering BEFORE 5vr responds and then response is FAST
*Set up 5th wheel so it tows level vs nose high
*Bedrail clearance...6" MINIMUM and that might not be enough
*When hitching set 5vr king pin plate 1" lower then Hitch Plate so 5vr rides UP/INTO hitch ---avoids high hitching issues
*Look UP........5vrs are Tall
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

That was some outstanding advice given by Old-Biscuit and I totally agree with it all. I also towed travel trailers (TT) years and then made the switch to a 5ver and am very happy on how much better they actually tow especially on windy days. Once you get your truck and trailer dialed in you will be impressed with how it handles. Now the bad part, at least for me - backing I found it hard for me to back it up to the point of being embarrassing sometimes. With practice I finally figured it out and quit thinking of it like a TT. It's very slow to react to steering wheel inputs and once you see the 5vers wheels start to react it's time to correct that input.
Good Luck and Enjoy,
Bill
Old 03-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

Since we are also planning to switch from a TT to a 5’er later this year I am watching this thread with great interest!!
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Before un-hitching, chock wheels......then after re-hitch'n, remove chocks......I prefer X chocks
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

All good info here. We went from TT to 37 foot fiver and LOVE IT! Won't go back...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Before un-hitching, chock wheels......then after re-hitch'n, remove chocks......I prefer X chocks

I’ve use and loved my X chocks for years until I got my current 5er. With the auto level system that will lift the tire on one side off the ground if really undeveloped, the Xchocks can and will pop out on occasion. I now use standard chocks again.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #8

Old Biscuit summed it up nicely.

Going on third season for us and still getting used to the difference (pulled bumper pull type trailers for almost 30 years and found the change to a 5er is definitely a learning curve for backing and turn radius).

I would recommend some practice in an empty parking lot (ex. School lot on a weekend).

Tree branches in route to the campsite or at the campsite should be watched closely too.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

To OBs list I'll add, after you back in and hook up, get out, go behind the hitch and with a good flashlight look at the hitch jaws to make sure they are closed. Don't just rely on hitch arm to swing into position as a visual check.

Do a pull test to make sure you are properly hitched.

Enjoy.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
*Set up 5th wheel so it tows level vs nose high
*Bedrail clearance...6" MINIMUM and that might not be enough
*When hitching set 5vr king pin plate 1" lower then Hitch Plate so 5vr rides UP/INTO hitch ---avoids high hitching issues
l
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
To OBs list I'll add, after you back in and hook up, get out, go behind the hitch and with a good flashlight look at the hitch jaws to make sure they are closed. Don't just rely on hitch arm to swing into position as a visual check.

Do a pull test to make sure you are properly hitched.
Both of the above.

And if you do not know how to do a pull test, ask or research it. Do one every time you hitch.

Also, you cannot beat the B&W OEM puck attach system 5th wheel hitch. Part Number RVK3700

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

I’ve ran over 4-5 curbs since we got our 5er in December. Just be careful also getting gas. Usually stop at Loves or Pilot, but I decided to stop at a shell coming home from Disney and it was very difficult getting out with the pumps being closer to the store/parking. Im still getting use to the difference in the turning radius. You will enjoy it! A lot easier to tow than a TT
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Always remember to open and close the tailgate.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
Both of the above.

And if you do not know how to do a pull test, ask or research it. Do one every time you hitch.

Also, you cannot beat the B&W OEM puck attach system 5th wheel hitch. Part Number RVK3700

Test pull will save your bed rails from damage..
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #14

I had to most problem making turns. I would think I was plenty wide with the truck but the 5th wheel tires would scuff the curb. So I had to learn to make extra wide turns.

I have an 8' bed so I like backing. I am (what I think) really good at back as I think it is easier than backing a TT.

Google hitching a 5th wheel, unhitching a 5th wheel. Tailgate up, tailgate down is important. Make sure the jaw is fully engaged when hooking up, you do not want the 5th wheel to fall on your truck bed rails.

Again use Google and you can get a list to printout.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing