Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Towing a 5th Wheel (Carriage Domani) with a gooseneck adapter

Hi there!

We have a 2009 Carriage Domani that needs to be hauled using a gooseneck receiver, so a fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter will be required. (The trailer will be in Mexico, where the local population doesn’t do a lot of RVing, and 5th wheel receivers are virtually nonexistent.)

The trailer is 13’1” in height, when level on the ground, and it appears to me that the lowest part of the notched part over the hitch is lower than other 5th wheels we’ve seen.

Can any of you provide insight on towing with this set up? Even better, specifically with a Domani?

We had a hauler in the U.S. want to tow it this way. We saw the set up, and it seemed like the gooseneck adapter (which was 18-20” tall), combined with the truck bed height (pretty tall 4x4 truck), was going to require us to jack the front even higher than the built-in jacks would allow. That shipper was proposing we use other jacks to get it up to the needed height. It now looks like this type of set up will be required for our current haul.

Thank you for you replies! They are much appreciated!
surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Generally speaking RV trailer frames are NOT designed for gooseneck setup. People do it, but your really taking a chance doing it. Why do you think you HAVE to tow with a gooseneck?
Old 11-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #3

I purchased a used 2008 Ram 2500 which has a gooseneck ball in the bed. I understand that's a standard option with a Ram truck. I tow my regular Keystone Everest using a B&W 5th wheel hitch, which attaches to the ball mount hole.

You should be able to find a Ram with the same set up as mine.
jim.osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #4

Towing a 5th Wheel (Carriage Domani) with a gooseneck adapter

Thought about using an Andersen ultimate setup? Those attach to a gooseneck ball and you don't run into the torque issues of a GN adapter.

Assuming you can get the truck height to work out, of course.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...onnection.aspx
Old 11-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

If you have to raise the front of the fiver so high that the standard legs are not long enough, you have serious issues. All of the weight will be on the trailer rear axle and overload tires or the axle. You also will have no suspension travel with those rear tires maybe rubbing against the underside of the trailer. Finally the truck tailgate may also make contact with the trailer. A flatbed truck would work better, but since they sit higher a standard length GN adaptor will be too long.

Beyond that a GN adaptor is not the best way to tow a fiver, and there are better ways to match truck to fiver but they may not be EZ to get done in Mexico. So use a flatbed truck and get a welder to cut and shorten the GN adaptor so the trailer will tow level.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
Thought about using an Andersen ultimate setup? Those attach to a gooseneck ball and you don't run into the torque issues of a GN adapter.

Assuming you can get the truck height to work out, of course.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...onnection.aspx
The Andersen Ultimate looks fantastic—thanks for the tip! We are considering the idea of buying one to give us a secure way to attach to gooseneck balls. It looks like the Andersen has about 3” of adjustability. I think our 5th wheel hitch has a small amount of adjustability, as well.

Can anyone else comment on the flexibility of using this setup in different trucks?

Thanks!
surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Some reading here.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mate-club.html
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

A couple of points on the Domani:

You don't have a welded frame. You have an engineered frame held together with huck fasteners and nuts and bolts. It may be a superior frame, it may not be. I doubt you can get a definitive answer as to using a gooseneck adapter.

Your GAWR may be derated because of your tires and wheels but the axles themselves are stiff. Since they are independent there is no equalization between axles. When I use an Andersen Rapidjack to lift a wheel I only have to lift a front wheel a little over an inch to get the rear wheel slightly off the ground. What I'm trying to say is that towing a Domani really nose high is a bad idea. Because of its short length and axle design you will have major weight shift to the rear axle.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

I pick up my new 5th wheel tomorrow, I told them I wanted to use my Gooseneck hitch on my truck to pull it and this is the ONLY one that will not void my warranty to do so. Yes I am having it installed before I take delivery.
Reese® Goose Box™ Gooseneck Coupler - Cequent 94623 - 5th Wheel Hitches - Camping World
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
The Andersen Ultimate looks fantastic—thanks for the tip! We are considering the idea of buying one to give us a secure way to attach to gooseneck balls. It looks like the Andersen has about 3” of adjustability. I think our 5th wheel hitch has a small amount of adjustability, as well.

Can anyone else comment on the flexibility of using this setup in different trucks?

Thanks!
The Andersen Ultimate is a beautiful setup, it works with every truck that has a ball in the box, and yes the ball on the frame can be adjusted 3" in height. For trucks with a deck instead of a box they make a low profile version.
What confuses me is that the Andersen for regular pickup trucks has a tow rating of 24k and the deck mount version, which would be for MDT's, only comes in 20k
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
I pick up my new 5th wheel tomorrow, I told them I wanted to use my Gooseneck hitch on my truck to pull it and this is the ONLY one that will not void my warranty to do so. Yes I am having it installed before I take delivery.
Reese® Goose Box™ Gooseneck Coupler - Cequent 94623 - 5th Wheel Hitches - Camping World
....needs chains as well.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
Technically, using another gooseneck box won't void your frame warranty, but Lippert will most likely deny a frame related claim if you have an issue and are using another gooseneck box besides the Reese. Semantics, I know, but technically your warranty isn't voided.

Anyway, Andersen does provide their own $5mm warranty should any damage happen, and any that is denied under warranty by the frame manufacturer.

Up to you if you want to get caught in the middle or not in the event of a claim denial by Lippert.

Regardless, OP is not under warranty. The Ultimate would do fine in this situation. It keeps the same geometry as a 5th wheel in terms of leverage on the frame.

From my research, it appears that LCI, who makes Lippert frames, also owns Reese, hence their incentive to block out other designs. You can find the Reese Goose Box on the LCI webpage.

Todd
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #13

Goose Box on my new unit, and yes it has safety chains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Nov 28, 9 11 28 PM.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	184169   Click image for larger version

Name:	File Nov 28, 9 11 02 PM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	184170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	File Nov 28, 9 10 29 PM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	184171  
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #14

Warranty would have been voided if I had of gone with the bolt on adapter that bolts to the 5th wheel hitch to convert it to a Goose, replacing the whole hitch is the only way the warranty is not voided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Technically, using another gooseneck box won't void your frame warranty, but Lippert will most likely deny a frame related claim if you have an issue and are using another gooseneck box besides the Reese. Semantics, I know, but technically your warranty isn't voided.

Anyway, Andersen does provide their own $5mm warranty should any damage happen, and any that is denied under warranty by the frame manufacturer.

Up to you if you want to get caught in the middle or not in the event of a claim denial by Lippert.

Regardless, OP is not under warranty. The Ultimate would do fine in this situation. It keeps the same geometry as a 5th wheel in terms of leverage on the frame.

From my research, it appears that LCI, who makes Lippert frames, also owns Reese, hence their incentive to block out other designs. You can find the Reese Goose Box on the LCI webpage.

Todd

Tags
5th wheel, andersen ultimate, carriage, domani, gooseneck hitch, tow, towing