Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #15

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I am from the east side of the state and I have been driving in snow all of my life. We got our first snow yesterday. If I followed the advice to stay home, I would be stuck for 3-4 months. Not to mention all of those people that enjoy winter sports dragging their trailers/toys around. With that said I am not leaving if it requires chains to start the trip. Chains are for when conditions change, or possibly when there is a short area of your trip you might need them.

First off, DRW and SRW do not handle the same in the snow. The extra surface area of the DRW means you have less PSI of contact with the surface you are driving on compared to a SRW. I spend a lot more time in 4x4 with my DRW then I ever did with SRW. Also unless the snow is deep, my car (Kia) handles better in the snow than my DRW.

I never owned chains for my SRW truck, I will not be with out chains for my DRW. Also by weight, most DRW trucks are required to carry chains in many states on mountain passes, even if they are 4x4. Here are the laws for WA, https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/up...quirements.pdf My DRW 3500 has a GVWR of 12,000.

Front vs rear. For on road use, especially with weight, rear or all 4. For plow trucks or off road front chains have the advantage of having the weight of the motor to help performance. However for on-road use if you need to use 4x4 and all 4 chains I hope it is to get out of a situation and not head into one.

Single chains may work, but if you are in a situation that requires chains, they may or may not work. Not a risk I am willing to take. If I need chains, I need chains and that means 3-rail is the way to go. With single it is possible to dig though compact snow or similar surface and have the unchained wheel touch the surface before the chain has anything to get traction on. I have done this in my drive with my HDT trying to be efficient since single chains are a little easier to throw. Also make sure to get chains with camlock adjuster, they go on easier and are able to fit tighter.

The next thing about chain and making sure the do not "beat up your rig" as others have suggested is making sure they fit right. Once you get your new chains that fit x size - x size, actually put them on your truck see if and how they fit. See what the actual process is to get them on, the time to learn is not at a chain up area. Once you have them on your truck with the camlock open I usually leave 1 link past where they are currently hooked and cut the rest off. Now you have no excessive chain flailing around. That one extra link will come in handy when things don't slide on right. Now when you tighten you camlock the the last one should take a bit of effort, but your chains will be tight to your tire, not flopping around. Last but not least get some of the heavy duty black bungee straps to pull anything that is possibly loose.

As others have said you will need a least a single chain on your trailer, if I put one on I am putting both on. I have the cheapest set I could find from WM that stay in the trailer.

Tire socks are awesome, but like everything else using the right tool for the right job is key. I have used them on our emergency vehicles, however for your application they aren't likely the right tool. On the highway if there are bare patches the socks will get destroyed quickly. If I had a vehicle that did not have clearance for chains I would also go for socks.

In my DRW I carry a set of 3-rail chains. In my HDT I have a set of singles and a set of 3-rail since I have 3 axles and a much bigger tool box so storage is not an issue. This allows me to choose the level of traction I need. As in my example above the single would not get me out of my situation. Also last year I was traveling to work in a new snow storm and I made it over one of the first passes without problem. Got to the next pass and it was chains required and I am not 4x4. I threw on the singles since most of the road was not that bad. It worked perfect for that application.

Those are just some thoughts form a guy that lives in the snow and drives in the snow.
Here is your best answer. I was born & raised in WI, had an off grid cabin 8 miles off county road in ID, drove semi 750K nation wide. Chained the big rig 3 times, a 4x4 Bronco all 4 in Idaho. If your going to use the chains I suggest a chain repair kt and tools and extra tighteners that can also break. Even properly chained as Nwcid said cross links break and need repair so the don't beat the TV to death.

I have pulled my 36ft 5W with a SRW 4x4 F350 once, freak storm over Wolf Creek pass. I had 4" on the ground before I hit the summit, shift on the fly AT tires and I made the top. I would not have gone had the snow been predicted, nothing like feeling the TV slide with the trailer behind to pucker the seat. Even if your a good driver in that stuff most are not, best bet wait for good weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_103756.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	348675   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_103759.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	348676  

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 3 View Post
A friend of our has a shop that rust proofs cars,trucks and RVS. Paid $350.00 and it only has to be renewed every three years for less $. We never drive in snow and ice in our TT. The rust proofing is also good for rain protection. Protect your expensive investment.
While that will improve protection of the exposed metal bits it will not prevent the saline mist to creep into the belly. It will also not protect springs/hangers etc etc.

I live in winter weather and had no choice but to drive (and fly) in it for decades. We now regularly escape to warmer climes in winter with the RV. I will NOT drive in a snow event itself. Drivers are getting less skilled overall, their bad weather skills are suffering even more.

I will wait 'till the slush is gone and the road is white and dry.......
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We accidently pulled ours through the Crater Lake area duing a snow storm. I wouldn't recommend it and we'll stay where there's NO snow forever more.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #18

Well as stated before I believe that no matter the weather or conditions you are required to carry chains for drive axle of TV, and one axle of trailer.
I have towed in snow before and would do it again. Need to relax, drive for conditions, I did about 45 most of the time.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #19

Drivers

Smart cars make STUPID drivers
BIGBADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #20

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADDOG View Post
Smart cars make STUPID drivers
you can add new SUV's drivers with 4X4 that think that they can go any where fast, and don't know they just can't stop.

Advise I got from an old time truck driver my first winter out in a big rig; "if you drive in snow and ice drive slow enough that when you crash you can walk away from it".
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, tow, towing