Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
Show us a picture of the truck (sideview). I can not believe your truck is not squatting much. You have way more pin weight than a 3//4 ton should. Your truck loaded weighs 12280! You've got about 3800 pin weight if I added correctly!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

I will take a picture of my truck when I get home from work, but it wont be hooked up to the trailer. My truck does squat when its all hooked up, it actually sits a little lower in the back. And because of that I have thought about getting air bags on the rear end to eliminate that. As far as the pin weight im not sure how to calculate that, but with what you calculated at 3800 for pin weight I would still be within the specs. With the current 2500HD trucks with the diesel engine it permits towing up to 17,500 lb. Maximum payload with the 2500HD in stock configuration is 4192 so allowing for a 200 lb. max king pin weight it can handle a 5th-wheel weighing in at 15,968 "wet" or fully loaded.
rjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
I will take a picture of my truck when I get home from work, but it wont be hooked up to the trailer. My truck does squat when its all hooked up, it actually sits a little lower in the back. And because of that I have thought about getting air bags on the rear end to eliminate that. As far as the pin weight im not sure how to calculate that, but with what you calculated at 3800 for pin weight I would still be within the specs. With the current 2500HD trucks with the diesel engine it permits towing up to 17,500 lb. Maximum payload with the 2500HD in stock configuration is 4192 so allowing for a 200 lb. max king pin weight it can handle a 5th-wheel weighing in at 15,968 "wet" or fully loaded.
Tires are your limit.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #18

Obtaining your pin weight is simple. Weigh your trucks rear axle, with everything in it ready for for towing. Then weigh your truck with 5er hooked up the same way. Subtract 1st from 2nd.
You cannot rely upon mfgrs. figures, use this 5th wheel weight calculator to obtain the exact numbers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #19

Here is a picture of my truck, but like i said its not hooked up to my truck. My trucks rear end does squat down when its all hooked up. Its a little lower than the front but I checked the rear axle to make sure the rubber stops were not sitting on my axle and they weren't, the rubber stops still look brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0181.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	100922  
Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #20

Quote:
My truck does squat when its all hooked up, it actually sits a little lower in the back.
Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news but you have a overloaded 2500 truck. Your loaded drive axle is at 6920 lbs vs a 6500 RAWR/tire/wheel and rear suspension so its not surprising the truck doesn't handle well. Your trucks FAWR and RAWR numbers are on the certification placard on the drivers side door post.
Quote:
Maximum payload with the 2500HD in stock configuration is 4192
This isn't your particular very heavy 4x4 crew cab diesel 2500 trucks payload. See your yellow tire placard on the door post for your trucks mfg recommended payload.
As Glenn West says your axle/tire rating will determine your trucks actual payload.

Ram may give your truck a 17k tow rating but your particular 2500 truck simply doesn't have enough tire/wheel and rear suspension for carrying your present loads. If you need help understanding Rams Body Builders Guide specs for your particular trucks ratings we can help you with that.

Air bags are needed in your case. If you have 3195 lb 17" wheel and tires you need to upgrade them to 3500-3600 lb 18" tires and wheels.

I know your stressed over the nose high trailer issue and now a overload issue. Many Dodge/Ram 4x4 owners seek help from their truck dealers. At one time shorter rear suspension blocks were a manufactures fix for the rear of a tall 4x4 truck.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #21

I have a stock 20" rim and I just looked at the max load rating on my BFG tires and it said 3860 at 80PSI. with all the new info I am going to get air bags on the rear end. I didn't see the sticker where it says the payload capacity, but I looked at that one too and it said 2108lbs, which I think is a little ridiculous for a HD truck. You would think for the amount on money I paid for it the payload would be more. Hopefully when I put the air bags on the rear end it will eliminate the payload issue. Still have to figure out what to do about the nose high issue. Thank you all for the help.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #22

When you put airbags on and eliminate the rear squat, the nose high is going to get worse...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing