RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

TPO Roof Treatment

Heard a comment on a YouTube video recently saying one of the differences between TPO and EPDM is EPDM needs to be cleaned and conditioned with a rubber roof conditioner. The TPO roof was said to not need a conditioner, only regular cleaning.

What say the authorities?
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to the manufacturer of my TPO roof, Alpha Systems, TPO needs no regular maintenance/treatment. Just a periodic cleaning will be fine.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #3

I have seen a number of commercial roofs made with TPO and they do not appear to be cleaned by people, just the rain.
Rick
Gold Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Pot View Post
I have seen a number of commercial roofs made with TPO and they do not appear to be cleaned by people, just the rain.
Rick
I only clean the roof so I can see problems better.
rvneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used Murphy Oil Soap on my TPO roof as per the Mfg instructions.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #6

Yep, mine is 16 years old and no problems. Clean a few times a year with Murphys and a splash of bleach. Now that does not mean you can ignore the caulk. You must inspect at least twice a year for failure anywhere there is something attached to the roof and at the edges and caps. The only think worse for your trailer than a water leak is an undetected or unrepaired water leak. It will destroy the trailer given enough time. You can reduce the likelyhood of leaks by using eternabond everywhere you can. Hope this is helpful
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

Facilities Manager here... $.02
We all know spending some time going over and cleaning stuff you own makes it last longer. Have had buildings with both TPO and EPDM.
EPDM holds up better however on a full glue down (current building is only sections glued) is not as flexible as TPO and gives more residue to clean off the sides of your RV.
TPO is more flexible and a bit cleaner but tends to stretch and tear easier.

I clean the roof once a year. Gives me a reason to give a good look at the roof and all sealed joints or penetrations. Also to check for glue that may have released.

But I have been told I can be anal about things...

Bill
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We had a TPO roof on our prior Bounder. Kept it for 13 years & it got washed once a year with a solution of Simple Green & some bleach. Being up there gave us the chance to inspect for tears & cracked caulk. We didn't treat it with anything.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #9

We have TPO on our roof and power wash it once a year using just water and a 1600 PSI electric washer carried in our storage compartment. It takes about 1 hour to wash and the roof looks clean and white when I am done.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof