Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I'm not done yet Spdracr39...I still don't know how many screw there are in a 5r. I just got a lot from Rarebear's post.

So Rarebear. On the 1 ton diesel DWR GMC Denali I looked at, there was a brake trailering option on the dash, is that a built in controller for the EoH disc brake system or are you talking about an after market add-on?
The integrated trailer brake controllers (the one you describe on the GMC) are all able to control the electric over hydraulic trailer brakes. In fact, the integrated controllers are best suited to operate all electric trailer brakes.

I converted/upgraded my 5er to E/H disc brakes. It is one of the greatest safety upgrade you can make to your rig. A newer GMC dually will do the job towing most 5ers with disc brakes... the exceptions to that idea will be discovered as you look into weight restrictions. Ford and Ram have higher towing capabilities.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
The integrated trailer brake controllers (the one you describe on the GMC) are all able to control the electric over hydraulic trailer brakes. In fact, the integrated controllers are best suited to operate all electric trailer brakes.

I converted/upgraded my 5er to E/H disc brakes. It is one of the greatest safety upgrade you can make to your rig. A newer GMC dually will do the job towing most 5ers with disc brakes... the exceptions to that idea will be discovered as you look into weight restrictions. Ford and Ram have higher towing capabilities.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to exceed the GCM Dually. But, that makes me think. Do the TV published towing specs take into consideration that a trailer with disc brakes can be controlled "easier" / better than one with lesser brakes. Is it possible to tow a heavier trailer, if it has better stopping control. Do they take a conservative view point and assume the lesser equipment or assume you have the best.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to exceed the GCM Dually. But, that makes me think. Do the TV published towing specs take into consideration that a trailer with disc brakes can be controlled "easier" / better than one with lesser brakes. Is it possible to tow a heavier trailer, if it has better stopping control. Do they take a conservative view point and assume the lesser equipment or assume you have the best.

Towing Specs are about WEIGHT regardless of the of braking being used

Towing Capacity is about WEIGHT

Stopping Power is about type of braking system, size of brake assembly etc.
TV braking and Trailer braking are not dependent of each other....they are designed to stop each one independently
TV brakes...stop TV
Trailer brakes ...stop trailer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Towing Specs are about WEIGHT regardless of the of braking being used

Towing Capacity is about WEIGHT

Stopping Power is about type of braking system, size of brake assembly etc.
TV braking and Trailer braking are not dependent of each other....they are designed to stop each one independently
TV brakes...stop TV
Trailer brakes ...stop trailer
It seems to me that CONTROL must factor in somewhere. Weight pushing you down the mountain has to translate into control.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
It seems to me that CONTROL must factor in somewhere. Weight pushing you down the mountain has to translate into control.
then you are either:
OVERWEIGHT
Brakes NOT set up correctly
Going to fast
Tow vehicle/trailer not properly matched
Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Diesel engines with exhaust brakes and well controlled transmissions work wonders too when descending mountains. It is a great thing... just tapping the brakes when downhill speed exceeds my comfort level and having the engineering built into the truck take over and slow things down without the need for prolonged brake application!

I appreciate the trailer disc brakes most when another driver removes the space I allow myself for a smooth steady stop (pucker moment...). Downhill, void of a “Pucker moment” is a non-issue if you have a newer diesel tow vehicle. If an emergency stopping situation presents itself...disc brakes on the trailer could make all the difference. They are that much better than drums.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I was recalling someone's post that said when they had drum brakes the trailer was pushing the truck down hill. When he replaced them with disc breaks, he no longer had that problem. Better equipment, better control.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #22

Quote:
I was recalling someone's post that said when they had drum brakes the trailer was pushing the truck down hill. When he replaced them with disc breaks, he no longer had that problem. Better equipment, better control.
OR drum brakes NOT properly adjusted/maintained

YES....DISC are far superior to Drum
Drum are OLD SCHOOL

BUT you can get good stopping power with drum brakes

I tow 14K 5th wheel with an 3500 SRW
and have towed all over the USA
Trailer brakes set up/adjusted/maintained so they stop trailer and truck brakes stop truck
NEVER felt pushed around
NEVER had a 'white knuckle' ride
NEVER felt trailer brakes were inadequate.

Drum brakes DO require routine manual adjustments to compensate/keep up with brake shoe wear. (or installation/use of 'self adjusters)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Although your service breaks should be able to stop the TV/T combination in most all conditions using said controls. Weight pushing you down hill is best controlled by judicious use of proper speed, gearing and "engine braking".
Most normal decent of mountain passes can be accomplished handily using your engine and transmission. The GMC you note does this exceptionally well even using cruise control.
The integrated brake controllers referred to on modern trucks also do a superior job of interfacing most if not all trailer brake systems. They are actuated by the trucks master cylinder / braking system and also receive direct feedback from the trailer and wiring system(s) to the ECM. This feedback is useful for several safety reasons. Depending on the trailer brake EoH pump system deployed (there at lease three major choices) there can be minor interface issues with some make / model trucks. This issue is easily overcome with a small electronic module installed near the hydraulic controller. The manufactures of the prospective brake controller(s) will offer an approved product as an option.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, trailer