Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer Height with 2018-2019 f-350 DRW

The new ford drw 2018-2019 owners with the large and tall fifthwheel RV. What is bedrail measurement to bottom of trailer? How much is your front high are you? Anyone using Anderson Ultimate with there set up and measurements? I believe the new ford is just about 2in higher than my 16 gmc and I was nose high with that? Has anyone lowered back of new ford drw. I see some 2017 models have been done. I still need at least 6in bed rail clearance.
Our trailer is GD solitude and it’s pretty tall to start with. Thanks
Sask Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

What exactly are you concerned with--height of fiver/truck bed height/space between the bed and fiver/front-rear bias of fiver when towing? Or all 4?
The truck is going to settle some when hitched and the hitch should be adjustable up/down. Andersen, don't know about adjustments.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
I would need to measure mine. I know I thought it the truck I bought would be to high for my 5 er. I installed a goosebox on 5 er. I have a 2018 Ford F-350 , SRW, CC, 4x4, LB
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
JDT

Mine is a 17 but the same thing. Not sure how to answer everything but I have about 7 inches of clearance between the bed rails and the fifth wheel. I do not sit nose high at all. My hitch weight is about 3100 pounds with another 180 for the hitch and 200 for the extra 25 gallons of diesel that I carry in a transfer tank.

I have a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride hitch at it's lowest setting. I have no experience with the Anderson.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

My main Concerns is being very high, with my old 16 gmc which is about 2in lower than the new ford. I was about 13.7 high. Which makes it front high, Not that it effects the towing that much, but would catch more wind as well as more weight on rear axle and makes rear bumper closer to ground. So go up another 2in with the ford will look silly and really tall. The box depth from gmc to ford are the same. I had 6in bed rail distance and I don’t won’t to compromise that. I may have to look at raising trailer axles which I would rather not, it seems high already. Some say you can lower back of truck. If that is possible I may have to do this. I guess it will be trial and error to figure out. New truck is in just have to get it home. Trailer is a GD solitude.
Sask Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Farm View Post
My main Concerns is being very high, with my old 16 gmc which is about 2in lower than the new ford. I was about 13.7 high. Which makes it front high, Not that it effects the towing that much, but would catch more wind as well as more weight on rear axle and makes rear bumper closer to ground. So go up another 2in with the ford will look silly and really tall. The box depth from gmc to ford are the same. I had 6in bed rail distance and I don’t won’t to compromise that. I may have to look at raising trailer axles which I would rather not, it seems high already. Some say you can lower back of truck. If that is possible I may have to do this. I guess it will be trial and error to figure out. New truck is in just have to get it home. Trailer is a GD solitude.

Mine is a 2012 drw ford, I have the Anderson, it is easy to adjust has a 5” total adjustment, mine is in the lowest setting an have 9” bed rail clearance. I lowered my truck by removing the block under your leaf springs, witch was 2” an put a lower arc overload spring, an put in airbags. My 5th wheel sits high an level when towing! Also I have been running the Anderson hitch for 5 years, an never had a problem rides smooth an no chucking, is simple to hook up and unhook, an can remove it in 3 minutes weighs 48 pounds. Hope this helps!![emoji3]🤙
kz owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Talking about the Andersen, my wife just showed me a pic off Facebook. This couple was pulling their 5er and have to do emergency braking and the hitch totally collapsed and the fiver feel onto their truck bed. Just saying...
mechanic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic2 View Post
Talking about the Andersen, my wife just showed me a pic off Facebook. This couple was pulling their 5er and have to do emergency braking and the hitch totally collapsed and the fiver feel onto their truck bed. Just saying...

Read the whole story, was not properly tightened down, it turned sideways that’s why it broke, just sayn!!!
kz owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

We have a 2016 f350 dually long bed but we also have 17 inch tires where as most newer trucks run with 20 inch tires.
It may be as simple as smaller tires if possible and a lower hitch height. We had a 2012 F350 SWD diesel before the 2016 and had 18s on it, now running nose level and 7 inches of clearance between rails and fiver.
Hope that makes sense.
Tundra2084 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer