Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #1

Transfer switch question

Hey all, I have a question, hoping someone can help me out. Our RV has 50 amp service. Everything works perfectly when on shore power, recently we ran on out 30 amp Honda 3000 generator and discovered that the ground and neutral must be tied together or the power management system gives a code. So, with the dog bone and everything works ( one ac at a time). So, our RV was set up from factory for a generator but was never installed. I thought I would utilize some of that technology and wire up the automatic transfer switch, generator in only has one power so just jumped fro L1 to L2 , 30 amp on either side ?? Everything appeared to work till I fired up the a/c. When the compressor kicks on all the power goes off briefly and continues to repeat this process?? All generator breakers are good. I’m thinking there could be a automatic reset breaker kicking out?? The 30 will run one a/c on the dog bone but not via the automatic transfer switch. Thanks for your input!
Btheresoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Portable (the keyword here is portable) generators do not bond ground and neutral. This results in a missing ground error in the power management system. If you had the onboard generator it would be bonded in that generator. RV wiring does not bond because the CG shore power will provide the bonding and there can only be ONE source for bonding by code. The transfer switch provides surge protection which is where the ground error is being detected.
You can make your own, as it appears you did, or you can buy a bonded adapter and plug it into one of the 15/20 A plugs. For those using two generators in parallel, you only need a bonded adapter in one generator to take care of it.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
It looks like you bonded the ground & neutral at the generator so that is good. I always thought that the transfer switch provided that bond on the generator side. I could be wrong. But either way it doesn't seem the bonding is the issue.

I'll guess the generator isn't supporting the surge from the AC(s) when it (they) come on. It might be dropping to too low a voltage and then the transfer switch trips briefly, resets and repeats.

Since your running only 30 amps to the entire RV try turning off all the other loads like the water heater, converter and/or inverter, etc. Then listen to the xfer switch when the AC tries to come on.

A 3000 watt generator should probably not have this problem. But if there is too much load, or your running in ECO mode then the generator can be getting overloaded.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #4

New approach

Thanks again for your input! I’m learning but still not 100 percent sure on all of it.
I talked to a RV shop guy today( one who I have gotten great advice from in the past). He’s telling me that you can’t tie the neutral and ground together, things won’t work and creates power on the neutral???? Well, I had a 50amp outlet so I wired the 30 amp power side from the generator to L1 put a jumper to L2 creating a dog bone set up , then against advice I bonded the neutral and ground together. Plugged it into generator before putting cover on. Had 120 v on both L1 and L2 Plugged in the RV turned ac on ( just one) and everything appears to work fine. Am I missing something here ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52B207A5-EFC9-41B0-A66E-BD8FD2C1B45D.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	336565  
Old 07-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #5

If that outlet is only used with the generator your fine.

Don't use it at RV parks. They are bonded at the source.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:48 AM   #6

Good point, even though I know that, I think I will mark and tag it in some way so know else gets ahold of it and uses it in the wrong way. Thank you !

Tags
switch, transfer switch