Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #1

Travel questions

2 basic questions for planning our first trip:
First: being only 61 and use to driving, how many hours is comfortable to drive for each day?
Second: if my nav says 7 hours should I assume 9 hours since I'm towing?
Looking forward to seeing you out on the road!
douginpoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

6-8 hours for me tops.
That’s with mucho stops for the old dog.
She has to pee a lot
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

Does adding 15 minutes per hour since I'm towing seem right?
Old 05-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #4

Everyone is a little different on this, but we aim for 300 miles (about 6 hours) when we can.

It definitely takes longer when towing. We average 50 miles per hour (which seems to be the rule of thumb) once you stop for breaks, walk the dog, etc.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #5

I normally figure 50 miles per hour. This covers time for breaks and maybe a quick lunch.
If I am trying to reach a certain destination I sometimes travel for 10 hours, covering approximately 500 mile. I have driven further. Some people like to keep it to 300 to 400 miles a day.
Tex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Everyone is a little different on this, but we aim for 300 miles (about 6 hours) when we can.

It definitely takes longer when towing. We average 50 miles per hour (which seems to be the rule of thumb) once you stop for breaks, walk the dog, etc.

And by using Gigattime's numbers, if you leave the CG at 8 in the morning, you will be at your destination and set up before 3pm.

Miller Time!

Tim
Old 05-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #7

We drive 250 to 300 miles per day and for us that is 6 to 8 hours. We stop about every 2 hours, walk the dogs, get a beverage, use the bathroom.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #8

On a time schedule.......or just traveling??

Traveling........
250 miles
We leave CG at 10AM and our set up enjoying a cocktail under the awning by 3PM
That includes a potty break and a lunch break....traveling secondary/back roads only
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #9

There won't be a single answer

Everyone is different. Some love to drive, some are frightened, some tire easily,some live to drive.

When we leave for a mega trip we are typically excited and leave early, like in the 5AM to 7AM range. We often drive 12 hrs the first 2 or 3 days if leaving freezing weather for warmer areas. As we get older, we are cutting that down to 10hrs when possible. Once we are in a fun or destination-dense area we try and drive only a few hours and visit the area as much as possible.

One thing I've learned, it's no use to drive yourself to death and nod off. I almost lost it down a 7% winding grade at 11PM once. Best to sleep wherever you can past a certain fatigue point.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #10

I just checked my RV Trip Wizard settings, and I use 57 MPH inclusive of stops for timing. We don't really stop other than fuel.

We will never plan to arrive at destination after dark (shooting for 3:00 - 4:00).

300 miles is the number I like to stay under, but we absolutely will travel 400 miles or more in unique cases, for example to avoid stopping in Van Horn, TX....

As Old-Biscuit said above, this would differ if we were not on a time schedule ... but unfortunately we are always on a time schedule.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
no right answer, have to find the sweet spot for your comfort zone. Set the GPS with the right parameters and it should be pretty accurate. Unit in our coach is usually right on the money. I am still working on not taking the arrival time as a challenge and trying to beat it.

If your time on the road is limited, your travel days may be longer. If you are flexible, you can shorten driving days up and enjoy being set up in camp earlier.

These days, most of my driving segments are set up by the CG I want to stay in. We spend more time looking at which CG we want, and then look at the distance between legs. I really hate to press for a one and done. Would rather get in early, set up and relax. also don't look to be first one out on the road next day either.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #12

You're right. No ONE answer but there is a lot of consistency that helps my planning.
Love your, "no sense killing yourself just to nod off when you get there"
Old 05-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #13

When we were working vacation time was limited, so 10 to 12 hrs driving weren't uncommon. Now we're in no hurry so 200 to 250 is a typical day for us.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We're early birds so our travel days are:

7am-9am ==> Drive (avg 60mph)
9am-10am ==> Stop for fuel and breakfast
10am-1pm ==> Drive (avg 60mph)
1pm-2pm ==> Stop for Fuel and lunch
2pm-4 ==> Drive (avg 60mph)

Seven hours driving gets us 400-450 miles. We use RV Trip Wizard to plan our trips and usually can reserve a campground within the 400-450 mile leg of the trip.
One mistake we made on our first long (5000 mile) trip was stopping for one night between some of the destinations. After the trip we realized we missed enjoying some of the destinations and also this was our first trip being both retired.
From now on we will stop for two or three nights so we can explore the areas where we stop.
Time to relax and enjoy retirement .
Dont take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel