RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

Travel with full water tank

We have a 2019 Montana 3810MS 5th wheel and occasionally travel with a full fresh water tank. Is this something I should be avoiding?
fritz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 12:57 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
No reason to avoid so long as you are under the 5-r's GVWR, your combined GCWR & your axle rating.

We often traveled with at least 1/2 fresh with our prior 5-r.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:20 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had always started trips, even short ones, with a full tank of fresh water. Mostly with a "just in case we should need it" logic. Even in the once or twice I did actually think about filling it to less-than-full, usually for testing of maintenance, it was difficult to gage when the desired level was reached without having to repeatedly go in the coach and look at the tank level panel.

Someone in another recent thread on this very subject recommended buying a flow indicator that attaches to the fill hose that will tick off the number of gallons added. I bought one from Amazon for about $13 that will do the trick nicely.

My fresh water tank has the capacity of 44 gallons. Now if I want to fill the tank halfway, I can stop the flow at 22 gallons and we're good to go.
akeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:34 AM   #4

Depends on where we are going.

No hookups where we are staying? We leave with a full tank.

Several hours to a CG? We leave with just a few gallons in the fresh tank so that SWMBO is able to use the toilet at rest stops.

Less than a couple hours to a CG? I don't add any water.

But we always carry our drinking water in smaller containers.

As far as measuring, I keep it simple. I know that our home water supply flows at 5 gallons/minute- I timed it filling a 5 gallon bucket. So I start filling the fresh tank and look at my watch.
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Like they said , it depends on what you are going to do. I'm a full timer and I keep about a 1/2 tank of water. In 11 years of full timing we have had water problems at a park 5 times (no power, well trouble(2), broken pipe(2). This happens often enough that I keep enough on board to cover these problems.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #6

We have an Open Range 5th wheel with an 85 gallon tank. I used to travel with the tank 1/3- 1/2 full. Then one day I found the tank sagging. One of the 4 straps supporting it became unbolted. Someone with way more experience suggested that a partial tank creates a lot of force with the water having room to slam back and forth. A full tank keeps the air space full... no motion. So, now I keep it full.
JK
Old 10-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #7

We travel with a full tank for a JIC scenario, which has happened more than we expected. Like when we were in a traffic jam for 4 hrs due to a large crash. luckily I spotted a WalMart and off-ramp, drove up the break-down lane to the exit to WM. We dry camped the night, as that was 8PM. It would've been a miserable night without drinking and flushing water. DW has a medical issue requiring water also.
I have never detected a fuel mileage difference between full or empty water tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

I don't travel with a full tank unless I know that where I'll end up that there's no water.
I always have some in it it as we pull off where ever we need to for potty breaks or a bite to eat. I have an 80 gal tank and travel with 20-30 gals in it.

This year because of Covid one of our favorite CG's we go to shut off the water at the community pump. My guess is to control spreading the virus from people touching the same pump handle.
It's and area where there's 7 CG's along a river and there's a large gravel parking lot that campers can pull into and fill there fresh water tanks since none of the CG's have any spigots in them.

Our TT manufacture also installed a piece of angle iron that runs side to side under the tank, so no way for to fall out when traveling. Our previous 5er had the same angle iron installed as well. Something I'd DIY if it wasn't there.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
IC2

Unless you are boondocking, can't see why you should haul around 66 gallons of water at 8-1/3 pounds/ gallon or ~550 pounds. Your 5er weighs at about 13.5Kpounds to start with before necessities and toy which could put it real near 17,000 pounds. Phew.

Is it OK? Yes. That Montana was built to carry a full potable tank worth of water tho more then a few have fallen out due to Keystone mounting the tanks incorrectly by the top flange rather then bottom supports - and one of my concerns with ours.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #10

usually the wet bay includes the grey tank, the black tank and water tank ... all together they equal a lot of weight ... I've seen pictures of the structure failing from the dynamic loads/impacts at the wet bay from all that weight.

If I'm going somewhere .... if I know the quality of the water where I'm going .... I will take less water with me on the trip.

Just for the trip I don't think I need 100 gallons ... 50 gallons or 25 gallons are enough ... depending on how long the trip is, whether I'm boondocking on a stop .. etc

I try to have some in case of emergency but no more than I need due to fuel usage and weight stresses ...
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #11

Always... always have. Fill up first trip of the year, drain last trip of the year. It can come in handy. Our last long trip, the park was out of water for two days, but we weren't.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:49 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your input. I talked to a Keystone dealer today and they recommended having either a full or empty fresh water tank. The water in a 1/3 or 2/3 full tank "sloshes" around and has a lot of weight behind it thereby causing unnecessary wear and tear on the support brackets and the tank then coming loose.
fritz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz54 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I talked to a Keystone dealer today and they recommended having either a full or empty fresh water tank. The water in a 1/3 or 2/3 full tank "sloshes" around and has a lot of weight behind it thereby causing unnecessary wear and tear on the support brackets and the tank then coming loose.
That is a CYA for poor tank supports!

We used to travel with just a few gallons for lunch breaks/potty breaks until we got to one destination that had no water due to City Main Water Supply line break.
Had to go and haul water via 5 gallon bottles
THAT was last time......always travel with full tank JIC
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
IC2

I suggest you wander over to the Montana owner's site and ask the question again: https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php

Do uou actually beleive/trust your dealer? I'm still waiting to be reimbursed $70 for a minor warranty issue from 2014)

Tags
tank, travel, water