Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Trending now - Cool new floorplans

When a manufacture unveils a new floorplan, it's exciting. Each one seems to have something unique and creative, a layout or a luxury that may be new to that particular model line or completely new to the market. If we are honest, is also doesn't take long to critique a thing or two. "Wow, that is a neat idea, but what in the world were they thinking to leave out this over here?"

Everyone has their own ideas of what a 'perfect' floorpan would be, and so let's hear it!

For my wife and I, looking to FT with our 3 kids, I have been looking at 38'+ 5er bunkhouse models for almost a year. The trend that has us most excited are the growing number of manufactureres offering a Mid-bunk model. The Mid-bunkroom is smaller than those models with rear-bunkrooms, but we think its a good trade for extra living space and a more open feel with rear wall windows. Plus that means that our daughter has her own space in the loft above the bunkroom.

So far we like what the Grand Design Solitude 377MB and the Forest River Blue Ridge 3789LF are offering.

Solitude Fifth-Wheel Floorplans | Grand Design RV

Blue Ridge Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

This industry seams to be very good at copying good ideas, so I expect to see other manufacturers unveil similar layouts. I would love to see an Augusta Ambition or a Redwood Sequoia. If either of them added a side patio and second master bedroom slide out, I would buy one tomorrow.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

My wife and I looked at the solitude in person. Very great floor plan. Only negative was the salesman said it was on their "lower end" as far as quality so for full timing it may not be for everyone. Only thing about the forest river is no WD prep. Oh and the price for the solitude was 49k in case you're wondering.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

I'm a huge fan of front bath models. Much better use of space instead of having a hallway. Too bad I wasn't able to convince DW of this until after we bought our trailer.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
JDT

Kitchens with an island were all the rage when we were shopping and still are, I think. The wife would take one look inside, see an island and walk out. She said they took up too much room and made the coach feel crowded in the size range we were looking for. Finally settled on our rear kitchen and with the opposing slides the living area is wide open and feels very large for a 35 footer. Since most models seem to have an island looks like we'll have this one for a while. So, our perfect floor plan is one with a center or rear kitchen, no island, a couch, 2 recliners, adequate sized bath and shower, a bedroom large enough for a king size bed and a spot for a washer/dryer which is what she got. If a 40 plus footer were in our plans it might not matter what we got but for now a happy wife makes life easier.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
My wife and I looked at the solitude in person. Very great floor plan. Only negative was the salesman said it was on their "lower end" as far as quality so for full timing it may not be for everyone. Only thing about the forest river is no WD prep. Oh and the price for the solitude was 49k in case you're wondering.
Grand Design designates the Solitude as extended stay rather than full time. But with most sales people, you can tell when they are lying when their lips are moving. It isn't negative if it is what you are looking for.
$49k for a new Solitude? I haven't shopped for a GD yet, but thought the MSRP on the Solitude line was around $80K.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Ya I belive they were trying to get us to buy the more expensive units but the 49k was truly the price. La Mesa RV in albuquerque nm. Seriously almost bought it. But truck not quite big enough...
Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

But I will say this, the salesman we spoke with was very honest. Wish I could remember his name. I told him my truck and he saw the tow ratings and said he wouldn't sell me that big of trailer. At least he was honest about safety.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Ya I belive they were trying to get us to buy the more expensive units but the 49k was truly the price. La Mesa RV in albuquerque nm. Seriously almost bought it. But truck not quite big enough...
Was it discounted since it might have been a 2014 carry over? I agree that Solitudes MSRP is 80K. I have seen them discount listed for 59K but that is with very few options and only 1 A/C.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
GD's lower end is the Reflection, which would go for around $49k. I'm wondering if that is what you were looking at? If it was indeed the Solitude 377MB, its good to know how low the price can go. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Grand Design designates the Solitude as extended stay rather than full time.
That is a good point abut the extended stay v full-time. However, Manufactueres of 'Fulltiming' rigs don't offer bunkhouse floorplans in those higher end models. If you know of one, please let me know. (I think DRV offers one but it would be difficult to cram a third bunkbed into the small room)

I went to this year's Hershey RV show and Augusta hinted that we may see some sort of new bunkhouse offered in the Ambition Line. A rep from Redwood also told me that one was in development for their Sequoia line. But as I mentioned above, neither plan on bringing the bunk models to their highest line (Luxe or Redwood).
Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Kitchens with an island were all the rage when we were shopping and still are, I think. The wife would take one look inside, see an island and walk out. She said they took up too much room and made the coach feel crowded in the size range we were looking for. Finally settled on our rear kitchen and with the opposing slides the living area is wide open and feels very large for a 35 footer. Since most models seem to have an island looks like we'll have this one for a while. So, our perfect floor plan is one with a center or rear kitchen, no island, a couch, 2 recliners, adequate sized bath and shower, a bedroom large enough for a king size bed and a spot for a washer/dryer which is what she got. If a 40 plus footer were in our plans it might not matter what we got but for now a happy wife makes life easier.
I went in a model with a rear kitchen with opposing slides and it felt nice and big inside. I know it is cheaper for manufacturers to gain space by lengthening the trailer. In an ideal world, I would take the shorter rig with more slideouts. Can it really be that hard to build a 35' rig with opposing, deep 30' full-wall slides?
Old 11-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #11

It was for sure, without a doubt a 2015 Solitude. That dealer was 20k cheaper than the other dealers in the area. Now, I didn't get as far as looking at dealer fees and such so they could have made some money there. Also I did feel their used vehicles were priced a little on the high side and their trade in policy was a little strange as well. So take that into consideration and they may actually be able to sell the new ones for lower prices
Old 11-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #12

The DW and I will be ordering our full-time 5er about this time next year. She also wants a room she can call her own for some private time. Our first choice at the moment is the Luxe by Augusta-RV. We saw it in Hershey and fell in love with it.

A couple of weeks ago as I was reading another post, I think on this forum, I heard about Spacecraft 5th Wheels and Trailers.They have some intersting layouts. We're planning on a factory tour in late summer/early fall 2016. I believe these would be considered full-time rigs and on the higher end in cost. I don't like the look of the website but that's my issue Theirs also a YouTube video by the CEO of the company giving a tour of one of their 5ers. The link to their site:

Space Craft custom built 5th wheel trailers

TJ
TJ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

Montana

Looks like Montana came out with a new floor plan with mid bunk room, but no bunk? (3950BR). Does have a loft bed . We are not looking for a bunk model but, we like the idea of this floor plan without the bunk, (an office for me?). No residential refer is a deal breaker for us. Maybe coming later?
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #14

Spacecraft is, indeed, a high-end custom builder. Like New Horizons, they have some stock plans to get you started, but if you come in with your own plan they will give you a quote.

If anyone plans a visit to Spacecraft, plan a couple of extra days to see the area. Some Civil War stuff in Lexington (cannon ball still in the courthouse).
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote