Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholo View Post
Looks like Montana came out with a new floor plan with mid bunk room, but no bunk? (3950BR). Does have a loft bed . We are not looking for a bunk model but, we like the idea of this floor plan without the bunk, (an office for me?). No residential refer is a deal breaker for us. Maybe coming later?
We are also looking at this model. Haven't contacted the factory yet, but we would also want the residential fridge, so model number would be 3951BR, and we also want the new iN Command system and preferably a full fiberglass rear cap. Those were the three issues we would want addressed to buy it.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Kitchens with an island were all the rage when we were shopping and still are, I think. The wife would take one look inside, see an island and walk out. She said they took up too much room and made the coach feel crowded in the size range we were looking for. Finally settled on our rear kitchen and with the opposing slides the living area is wide open and feels very large for a 35 footer. Since most models seem to have an island looks like we'll have this one for a while. So, our perfect floor plan is one with a center or rear kitchen, no island, a couch, 2 recliners, adequate sized bath and shower, a bedroom large enough for a king size bed and a spot for a washer/dryer which is what she got. If a 40 plus footer were in our plans it might not matter what we got but for now a happy wife makes life easier.
I have the same problem our redwood 36rl has the island which I like and the DW hates
Old 02-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #17

Just back from the Houston show. The mid-bunk rooms seem to be all the rage this year. I definitely like it better than rear bunk rooms, as the living area gets more windows. The loft over the mid-bunk room seemed like it would make a nice attic storage area if you didn't have kids sleeping up there.

One interesting floor plan was the Chaparral 371MBRB. It not only had a mid-bunk room, but a rear bunk room too. A three bedroom, 1.5 bath in 41'9". The only flaw is the mid-bunks are really short - 48x64 - so they're only good for young kids.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #18

We were there too! Yes that particular mid bunk was tight. My wife liked the one with the loft in the bunk room and 2nd full bath. Not enough truck for that one lol.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #19

we own a Solitude 369RL, we just went to the Seattle RV show and the DW spotted a Montana with a front kitchen I think that the model was a 3820 but I'm not positive, she said that if she would have seen this model we would have bought it instead of the Solitude
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #20

A front kitchen ? Better have an air ride hitch or you will be eating on paper plates.
Lol . Seems like alot of pin weight. Stove, fridge all the kitchen stuff .
Climbing stairs for a beer or snacks the low ceiling ht means one hot kitchen. Doesn't seem to great of an idea in my humble opinion.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
My wife and I looked at the solitude in person. Very great floor plan. Only negative was the salesman said it was on their "lower end" as far as quality so for full timing it may not be for everyone. Only thing about the forest river is no WD prep. Oh and the price for the solitude was 49k in case you're wondering.
That's a curious comment the salesman made. The Solitude is the top line of Grand Design, followed by the Reflection. It is warranted for full-time use if I'm not mistaken, and not many RVs are. Perhaps the sales rep was referring to the particular model, but I'd be surprised if the various Solitude models aren't made to the same quality standards. I wonder if the salesman knew what he was talking about--many do not--or if maybe he wanted to sell you something else.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great to see the innovative floor plans they're coming up with in the new units. No more "bowling alleys"!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
A front kitchen ? Better have an air ride hitch or you will be eating on paper plates.
Lol . Seems like alot of pin weight. Stove, fridge all the kitchen stuff .
Climbing stairs for a beer or snacks the low ceiling ht means one hot kitchen. Doesn't seem to great of an idea in my humble opinion.
This is featured in the new Trailer Life. Pin weight is about 2500 so not too bad and way less bounce than a rear kitchen model. I would have to see it though before coming to conclusions. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is bad. I would be more concerned about the rest of the fiver layout. My DW likes front living rooms, but they do tend to be heavy on the pin and I like having the BR in its own section up front.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #24

According to Montana's web site the 3820FK has a dry pin of 2810lbs. Probably closer to 3000lb dry when batteries and propane are added. Now add another 200 for the 5th hitch, 3-400lbs for front basement and normal kitchen stuff and it's pushing 4000lbs all said and done. DRW territory for sure.
JMO opinion but no way would I want to be on a separate floor as the kitchen. We use our kitchen a lot when camping so we'd be constantly going up and down the stairs.
Plus like mentioned before the heat up there would be nasty. Cooking on the range top would just add more. But then again that size 5er would more than likely be an RV park queen and most would eat out anyway.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
According to Montana's web site the 3820FK has a dry pin of 2810lbs. Probably closer to 3000lb dry when batteries and propane are added. Now add another 200 for the 5th hitch, 3-400lbs for front basement and normal kitchen stuff and it's pushing 4000lbs all said and done. DRW territory for sure.
Plus like mentioned before the heat up there would be nasty. Cooking on the range top would just add more. But then again that size 5er would more than likely be an RV park queen and most would eat out anyway.
Good points on the extra weight as there is a much greater potential for adding weight in the kitchen with canned goods, pots & pans, etc. And the heat issue never occurred to me either. We set the furnace for no higher than 55 in the living room to keep the BR from getting too hot for sleep.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Good points on the extra weight as there is a much greater potential for adding weight in the kitchen with canned goods, pots & pans, etc. And the heat issue never occurred to me either. We set the furnace for no higher than 55 in the living room to keep the BR from getting too hot for sleep.
BTDT with 5th wheel heat. We keep the door closed to the bedroom when heating the lower level.
The other issue I see is that with the buffet slide in it looks real tight to get into the kitchen. Not a deal breaker, but if someone's stopping for a bite to eat while traveling then the slide needs to go all the way out since its a Schwintek.
Can't run them out partially as that gets them out of sync. If it's not a Schwintek then all is good.
Also the sofas are really uncomfortable. Sat in the same exact sofa this last weekend at a local RV show. They have the back cushions designed wrong. It makes you sit upright way too much. Same exact sofa that's in the Grand Design.
The Montana FK is a really cool concept and could work for the right people.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #27

We ended up with a GD Solitude 2015 365DEN. It's both a bunkhouse and an extra room. We liked it a lot more than the 366 as well. We pick it up in a little over a week.

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
holy smokes 5 slide