Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 04:26 AM   #43

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
I understand the principle but on a tractor trailer the trailer wheels are much further to the rear than in a RV 5er, how do you adjust for the tail swing you get with an RV over the quicker turn of a semi trailer?

Thanks
Doc
Hi Doc, good question.

The rear of an semi trailer doesn't turn, it pivots at the rear. The direction a backing trailer goes is determined by how much the tractor swings the front of the trailer. The same principle works on a RV 5th wheel trailer, but you have a little extra trailer behind the axle. In fact, if you base your observation on just the back of the trailer, the RV 5th wheel looks like it actually reacts quicker than the semi since the pivot point on the RV trailer is forward of the rear by several feet causing the rear to swing laterally.

Like I mentioned earlier, except for watching and making sure I don't hit something while pulling into position to start backing or the actual backing of the trailer, I ignore the part of the trailer behind the trailer axles. I watch the trailer wheels and if I have the trailer wheels pointed in the direction I want go, the rear of the trailer will take care of itself, within reason.

Hope that answered your question. I'm not a professional truck driver, but I have driven a lot of bumper mounts, goosenecks, 5th wheels, and a limited number of semi-type tractor trailer rigs in both the military and in civilian life over the past half-century. I know enough to get into and successfully extricate myself from tight situations.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #44

Freightliner Owners Club
CarlnJanis
the trailer is most dangerous when turning tight corners most often swinging into a pole. pulling out of a campsite the tail swing can clip objects very easily. Personally for me backing through the tail swing is not that big of a problem. in tight areas use a spotter at the back of the trailer. if you have a back up camera learn where the edge of your trailer is in respect to your view. I have also stopped and got out and looked when I did not have a spotter. the biggest thing is being aware of the tail swing and how much it can actually "Sticks out" if you will. Practice practice practice. especially when no one else is looking. on lookers can make you very nervous. play it safe practice until you are comfortable.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #45

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upServant View Post
CarlnJanis
the trailer is most dangerous when turning tight corners most often swinging into a pole. pulling out of a campsite the tail swing can clip objects very easily. Personally for me backing through the tail swing is not that big of a problem. in tight areas use a spotter at the back of the trailer. if you have a back up camera learn where the edge of your trailer is in respect to your view. I have also stopped and got out and looked when I did not have a spotter. the biggest thing is being aware of the tail swing and how much it can actually "Sticks out" if you will. Practice practice practice. especially when no one else is looking. on lookers can make you very nervous. play it safe practice until you are comfortable.
2upServant,
Thank you for post. It was not my intention to discount the need to pay attention to tail-swing. The thread is about backing a 5th wheel. I personally do not have a problem driving or backing a trailer. In fact, in Texas you need a non-commercial Class A drivers license to drive a Class A combo vehicle over 26,000#. Not only did I have to demonstrate my ability to drive my truck and trailer though narrow streets in town and on the wide open interstate, I had to demonstrate that I could safely back a trailer straight. I also had to demonstrate that I could safely parallel park my 55 ft. combo vehicle within a measured parking space without touching the curb, crossing the front or rear parking space boundaries, or the tires being more than a specified distance from the curb when parked. The first two points are mandatory fails. Oh by the way, I nailed the parallel parking attempt on the first try.

Most of the time I am driving alone. When backing or managing a tight space, I practice the motto GOAL, get out and look. In my many years of driving a vehicle with a trailer attached, I have never accidently hit or backed into anything.

Now I've gone and done it. I better pay closer attention to my driving until the curse wears off.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upServant View Post
CarlnJanis
2upServant,
I just looked at your rig on your public profile. Yeeaah, I can see why tail-swing would pose a little more of an issue than with my rig. Nice setup by the way.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
CarlnJanis
Thank you I completely understand Texas put me through the same process. I let my CDL lapse and drop off. then had to do the same thing you did. mine was the same way. in Texas the space is 100 feet and you only get one pull up. my truck and trailer is 73 feet long. not much wiggle room. enjoy yourself.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel