Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

Truck Sag Part 2

Ok guy's, I've done alot of research these past few days and it seems to come down to air bags or Tembrens, one personal opinion on you tube video says go with air bags if hauling 10k and above, Tembrens if less than 10k. Anyone with these set ups your opinion is greatly appreciated, thanks.
nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

There have been reports of Timbrens giving a harsh ride when empty. I always look at Timbrens as overaized bump stops. Air bags when properly installed allow you to inflate to help carry the load, and deflate for a softer empty ride.
Remember, neither will increase your load weight ratings.
Going back and reading your original post I would before you spend a dime get some accurate weights of the truck and trailer loaded ready to travel.
Where is your hitch in relation to the axle?
Old 06-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There have been reports of Timbrens giving a harsh ride when empty. I always look at Timbrens as overaized bump stops. Air bags when properly installed allow you to inflate to help carry the load, and deflate for a softer empty ride.
Yes I also heard about the harsh ride with Timbrens when unloaded, that makes no sense whatsoever as there is no contact with the axle when there's no weight to engage it.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #4

Well if I find myself in this situation with our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW I will bag it and have a wireless fill control, I already have on board air.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

OK.......not ALWAYS....but if you are sagging enough to need airbags or some other method to eliminate that much sag, you may be over your payload capacity of the truck. Like I said, not always, but certainly worth making sure that is not the case.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #6

Timbrens seem to be a cheep and crappy way to level the load. No adjustment.

Airbags with a remote is more expensive but a higher quality addition. The ability to adjust the bags for height is the best feature. I believe the ride is better too although I have never ridden on timberens
Old 06-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclauser View Post
Yes I also heard about the harsh ride with Timbrens when unloaded, that makes no sense whatsoever as there is no contact with the axle when there's no weight to engage it.
Actually if you think about it it does make sense. Since Timbrens replace the factory bump stop with a taller part as the suspension works and the axle moves up it can come in contact with the Timbren rather harshly some times.
Like I have said before I spent a dime on anything I would get some accurate weights. Pictures of the truck both loaded and empty would be helpful.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Going back and reading your original post I would before you spend a dime get some accurate weights of the truck and trailer loaded ready to travel.
Where is your hitch in relation to the axle?
Hitch is rite on top of axle, truck came stocked prepped for fifth hitch
Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Had Timbrens on my last 2 trucks and have had no problems with them and they work like they are supposed to!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #10

Love my air lift kit with wireless remote. Second set I have had, love the versatility. I can ride level with any load, adjust to slow down bounce on highways or bridges with galloping issues. Also when I back up to the fiver hitch and I’m an inch too high or low I can air up or down to slide in perfect without leaving the drivers seat.

Local to me the wireless pump kit is about $1200 installed.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Have air bags on my old 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel, they are manual fill (only draw back) but are fully adjustable and make highway travel on today's roads at least bearable.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Actually if you think about it it does make sense. Since Timbrens replace the factory bump stop with a taller part as the suspension works and the axle moves up it can come in contact with the Timbren rather harshly some times.
Like I have said before I spent a dime on anything I would get some accurate weights. Pictures of the truck both loaded and empty would be helpful.
Yep, I get it, I'm jumping to conclusions in a all out effort in deciding which way is best, thanks for your cooler mind!
Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Interesting discussion with this and your first post. I'm curious how all the posters position their hitches one inch forward of their rear axle. When I installed my hitch rails with model specific brackets, they were to be installed in one position, period. Factory puck systems don't have fore/aft adjustments. I have a nice hitch that has no front/rear adjustability, nor do most hitches on the market. Can we assume correct pin to axle placement is designed in by the hitch manufacturers? Does someone manufacture an adjustment device that fits between a hitch and the truck so a person could impact the hitch to axle relationship?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Interesting discussion with this and your first post. I'm curious how all the posters position their hitches one inch forward of their rear axle. When I installed my hitch rails with model specific brackets, they were to be installed in one position, period. Factory puck systems don't have fore/aft adjustments. I have a nice hitch that has no front/rear adjustability, nor do most hitches on the market. Can we assume correct pin to axle placement is designed in by the hitch manufacturers? Does someone manufacture an adjustment device that fits between a hitch and the truck so a person could impact the hitch to axle relationship?
The B&W fifth wheel hitches have many different settings--front and back, up and down--so you can set them up exactly as needed.

I set mine to have the kingpin 1' in front of the center of the axle. And I set it up mid point in height to where it sits perfectly. B&W are very high quality hitches.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote