Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
We use a F250 4x4 4DR to pull a 43' 5er with a B&W slider. I put bags on it to level it out and I can easily 1 hand it on the freeway. We just come up from FL to MD and there wasn't any stability issues at all. In west TX on a trip in April we had a significant crosswind (40-50mph) and I just slowed to 60 and had plenty of control. I think I would have slowed if I had a DRW truck also.

I've found that if you listen to all the advise you get from others - you'll end up with a Freightliner to pull your RV.
I have no idea what your 5ver weighs, or what the payload capacity is on your F250, but there is a strong possibility that you are over the payload capacity of the truck with a 5ver that big....especially if it's the diesel.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I have no idea what your 5ver weighs, or what the payload capacity is on your F250, but there is a strong possibility that you are over the payload capacity of the truck with a 5ver that big....especially if it's the diesel.
The 2017 F-250 diesel 4x4 with 3.31 differential has a rated towing maximum of 17,600-lbs, according to the Ford online specs.

The trailer weight about 16K and I have air bags to keep things running level.
JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #17
JDT

It's not all that difficult. Look at the yellow sticker on the driver's door pillar. It will tell you how many pounds your truck, or any truck, can hold, not tow. It will be a different figure for each truck, depending on options. If you know your pin weight, hitch weight, passenger weight, extra cargo weight, dog weight, etc. just add them up and compare to what's on the yellow sticker. If that passes, then start looking at towing capacity, etc. I kind of doubt you'll get past step one with a single rear wheel.

I really wanted to go back to an srw when I bought our Ford last year but could not find a diesel with the options we wanted with enough capacity.

The other option is just ignore it and do what you want, which obviously many do. I for one think the engineers and technicians who come up with these figures and ratings are probably a lot more knowledgeable than me.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #18

No worries about daily driver you get use to it. I use my C4500 Topkick for a daily driver. Been doing this almost 3 years. Dont look at fuel or mileage. Get to half a tank and just pump 40 or 50 bucks. Mileage is what it is. Just be glad you have a tank underneath you if someone does do something stupid and hit you

Forget bank drive thrus you wont fit in a drw. most everything else youll fit these days.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
The 2017 F-250 diesel 4x4 with 3.31 differential has a rated towing maximum of 17,600-lbs, according to the Ford online specs.

The trailer weight about 16K and I have air bags to keep things running level.
I don't want to be argumentative but if it your pulling a 5th wheel the highest F250 4X4 rating with a 3,31 rating is 16,500# and that is a regular cab. Then it drops as the cabs get bigger. Down to 14,700# for a Crew Cab.

If you are pulling a 16,000# then you are looking at about 3200# pin weight, this is 20% of 16,000# trailer. Per Ford payload the max payload is 3444# for a 4X4 Regular cab. Then the payload goes down as cabs and beds get bigger. Down to 1606# with a CC 4X4 with the diesel. What does the yellow tag on your driver side door tell your max capacity is?

I noted that each time you posted you made mention of having air bags which do not add anything to the capacities, all the do is raise a sagging rear end.

This is all from the 2017 Ford towing specs. I would have to say that you are way over the payload. If your pin weight is around 3000@ and your payload around 2000# that you are 1000# more in the truck. This is not even taking into account your hitch, people and anything else you put into the truck

2017 Ford Rowing Specs

ttps://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RV&TTgde_r6_Nov8.pdf

To give people wrong advice just because you do it doesn't make it right. I only saw one person on here put something about a class 7 or 8 truck, most are only recommending a DRW which most likely is the proper truck for the size 5er he is looking at,
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch50 View Post
I don't want to be argumentative but if it your pulling a 5th wheel the highest F250 4X4 rating with a 3,31 rating is 16,500# and that is a regular cab. Then it drops as the cabs get bigger. Down to 14,700# for a Crew Cab.

If you are pulling a 16,000# then you are looking at about 3200# pin weight, this is 20% of 16,000# trailer. Per Ford payload the max payload is 3444# for a 4X4 Regular cab. Then the payload goes down as cabs and beds get bigger. Down to 1606# with a CC 4X4 with the diesel. What does the yellow tag on your driver side door tell your max capacity is?

I noted that each time you posted you made mention of having air bags which do not add anything to the capacities, all the do is raise a sagging rear end.

This is all from the 2017 Ford towing specs. I would have to say that you are way over the payload. If your pin weight is around 3000@ and your payload around 2000# that you are 1000# more in the truck. This is not even taking into account your hitch, people and anything else you put into the truck

2017 Ford Rowing Specs

ttps://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RV&TTgde_r6_Nov8.pdf

To give people wrong advice just because you do it doesn't make it right. I only saw one person on here put something about a class 7 or 8 truck, most are only recommending a DRW which most likely is the proper truck for the size 5er he is looking at,
The only reason I recommended a class 7 or 8 was you can buy them very economically if you look around. It would be used exclusively for towing enabling the poster to purchase a smaller fuel efficient vehicle for a daily driver.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The only reason I recommended a class 7 or 8 was you can buy them very economically if you look around. It would be used exclusively for towing enabling the poster to purchase a smaller fuel efficient vehicle for a daily driver.
I know they are. I had a 96 Volvo with a sleeper then dropped the rear axle to single it out. I wished I would have removed the intermediate axle instead of the rear. Then had a hauler bed installed on it. I don't know if you have heard of Jack Mayer from Escappes? We had discussed a lot on the HDT forum and in fact my bright yellow Volvo was the one that got him looking at the HDT route so he tells me.

I no longer have a need for that size of rig with my smaller 32' 12000# 5er.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote