Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 05:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Specs for current GMC models show:
3/4-Ton Payload ~3500, 5th wheel tow rating ~18K
1-T SRW Payload ~4000, 5th wheel tow rating ~21K
1-T DRW Payload ~6000, 5th wheel tow rating ~30K+

Based on the earlier calculations, a 3/4-Ton would have a sufficient tow rating and ~1000lbs of available payload capacity remaining after the trailer is hitched up.
true on the tow rating BUT what they don't say is that at 20% of 18000 lbs. your putting 3600 lbs in the bed right over the rear axle and NOW your overloaded even on a 3500 single rear wheel GM truck. By the time you get a hitch , fuel , the kids , Dog and fire wood in the truck your 700lbs over weight on the 2 rear tires .

with 5th wheels you really need to use the GVW as a guide not the pin factory weights. But I suggest to everyone to know the factory rating but leave a safety margin.

I feel a good fit for trucks is much less and depending on diesel and BIG gas motor may add or subtract a little to these number. Some of your decision should be based on how far am I going and is it flat or hilly ? Hills the diesel will be far better but cost more and can carry less payload.

1/2 ton 6000~7000 lbs max (tires and brakes are the issues then cooling)
3/4 ton 11000 lbs max
1 ton srw 14000 lbs max
1 ton DRW 21,000 lbs max
bigger trailer then 21,000lbs you need a real truck not a 350-3500 class.

Keep in mind the hitch adds 200-300lbs , fuel , the dog , wife , kids , fire wood in the bed your right at max payload on 3/4 ton trucks at 11,000lbs maybe over.

I am currently pulling 16,700lbs with my 3500 SRW gm truck but its overweight and feels like its over weight. before then end of Sept I will own a DRW truck and put this problem behind me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #16

^^^Those are approximate numbers for current GM trucks. It is up to each individual to understand what they are doing and stay within the limits provided by the manufacturer.

It is certainly possible for a properly optioned SRW 1-Ton to tow a ~18K trailer without exceeding any weight limits. This isn’t the place to haggle over hypothetical situations.

Rather than make specific weight recommendations for a particular class of truck, I would suggest an owner not exceed 80% of any maximum weight capacity provided by the manufacturer for their specific vehicle.

Thank you for realizing that your rig is overloaded and making the decision to get an appropriate tow vehicle. Not everyone does this.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #17

If your only towing 2-3 times a year, don't be afraid to get a 3/4/2500 gasser. My 2015 2500 has more towing than my friends 3500 sw 2011, every year they up everything on all brands.
If looking at new or used dodge ram, all you have to do is put in the vin # on a dodge ram sight and it will tell you factory specs of payload and towing, I would assume ford and chevy should have the same thing. My 2015 4wd 2 door is rated to tow 17.780lbs, payload was 2,500, but now its 3,000.
Others know the specs, but, I think you might be able to just have one half tone truck if you went with the ford with the tow built package. Flat towing is not a problem, but mountains on a daily basisis is different.
Best of luck
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vett82ce View Post
Would appreciate any expert advice on size truck necessary for a '99 Sunnybrook 5th wheel, model 30RK-F. The GVWR says 10,700, but that does'nt tell me much, I am very green to RV'ing.

The Sunnybrook was inheirited and I plan to spend the next 3-4 months fixing it up before I even attempt to take it some where. Before I can take it any where, I have to buy a truck. All I have is a 1/2 ton Avalanche and I know that can't handle it.

So, I have the RV and the 5th wheel apparatus itself (it was taken off my Dad's old truck), but have no truck that can handle it. I've heard a lot of folks say, you need a dually or you will regret it. Problem is...I don't want to be "a dually guy" and really can't afford two trucks - one for every day driving and the other just to pull my RV maybe 2-3 times a year.

So, how crucial is a dually for the RV I have?

Depends on how much weight you are going to put on the rear axle. Add up the 5th wheel pin weight, hitch weight, and all the stuff you want to haul that puts weight over the rear axle and compare to the rear axle rating.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
You dont need a dually for that load or most others. Also check payloads between a dually and single tire and the dually is usually less payload due to the added weight of two wheels and tires.
Sorry to say this is bad internet advice, DRW 350/3500’s have higher GVWR and also a higher payload than SRW trucks. Example our DRW Ram has a payload of 5,411#, a SRW would be about 4,200# or less.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #20

Also think about down the road. Will you be upgrading to a larger 5th wheel?
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
If your only towing 2-3 times a year, don't be afraid to get a 3/4/2500 gasser. My 2015 2500 has more towing than my friends 3500 sw 2011, every year they up everything on all brands.
If looking at new or used dodge ram, all you have to do is put in the vin # on a dodge ram sight and it will tell you factory specs of payload and towing, I would assume ford and chevy should have the same thing. My 2015 4wd 2 door is rated to tow 17.780lbs, payload was 2,500, but now its 3,000.
Others know the specs, but, I think you might be able to just have one half tone truck if you went with the ford with the tow built package. Flat towing is not a problem, but mountains on a daily basisis is different.
Best of luck
A 1/2-ton truck towing a 31’ 10,700lb 5er is a recipe for disaster. Even the Ford with its astounding figures would be a poor decision. Only a few configurations offer a rating above 10,700 and that truck will be on the rivet the entire time.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #22

The nice thing about having a dually is. ..well. ...it is a dually. The weight calculation game is not a big deal unless you start talking about really big & heavy 5ers. The added security of additional stability is not to be downplayed when you find yourself going into an exit ramp a little hot.

So you have to park a little further from the door at Walmart. Big deal. You probably need the exercise.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
Best of luck
Would you care to explain how your truck went from 2500 lbs of payload to 3000 lbs of payload? Or, are you talking about the new models of your truck?
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
The DRW will have the same or more conventional towing capacity as a similarly equipped SRW and considerably more 5th wheel towing capacity.
Comparing similar equipped trucks, a dually will have 1500+ payload over a SRW. My research was looking at the labels on the doors of the trucks, not the sales brochures. Payloads on dually will vary 800-1200 pounds between trim levels. Comparing a base SRW to a loaded DRW, they maybe close, but I doubt less.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #25

easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Would you care to explain how your truck went from 2500 lbs of payload to 3000 lbs of payload? Or, are you talking about the new models of your truck?
That's easy, its fully deleted from the emissions stuff, and that stuff is heavy. EGR, EGR cooler, dpf, scr, no def fluid, is an easy 500lbs.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Comparing similar equipped trucks, a dually will have 1500+ payload over a SRW. My research was looking at the labels on the doors of the trucks, not the sales brochures. Payloads on dually will vary 800-1200 pounds between trim levels. Comparing a base SRW to a loaded DRW, they maybe close, but I doubt less.
I’m unclear as to why you quoted a statement about towing capacities to lead into comments about payload capacities.

To elaborate on the towing capacity statement, GM 1-Ton SRW models have conventional towing capacities up to 20K. The DRW models all have a conventional towing capacity of 20K. The SRW’s have a 5th wheel towing capacity of approximately 21K, the DRW’s have a 5th wheel towing capacity of approximately 31K.

As for payloads between same configurations, ie; 4x2 regular cab v 4x2 regular cab, the GM towing charts show the DRW models have 1531-2317 lbs more capacity than the SRW models. That works out to 38-55%.

The highest payload capacity for a SRW is 4215.
The lowest payload capacity for a DRW is 5609.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #27

The highest capacity rear axle I can find on any SRW truck is 7,300lbs.

On all the dually trucks the rear axle capacity is 10,000lbs or a little more.

So not only do you have 4 tires at the rear you also have a much higher capacity rear axle on a dually.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett82ce View Post
Would appreciate any expert advice on size truck necessary for a '99 Sunnybrook 5th wheel, model 30RK-F. The GVWR says 10,700, but that does'nt tell me much, I am very green to RV'ing.

The Sunnybrook was inheirited and I plan to spend the next 3-4 months fixing it up before I even attempt to take it some where. Before I can take it any where, I have to buy a truck. All I have is a 1/2 ton Avalanche and I know that can't handle it.

So, I have the RV and the 5th wheel apparatus itself (it was taken off my Dad's old truck), but have no truck that can handle it. I've heard a lot of folks say, you need a dually or you will regret it. Problem is...I don't want to be "a dually guy" and really can't afford two trucks - one for every day driving and the other just to pull my RV maybe 2-3 times a year.

So, how crucial is a dually for the RV I have?
Lots of good advice here.. you did not mention if you are looking for new or used. Regardless, the advice regarding payload is spot on. It’s common knowledge to those of us who have had a fiver for a while that payload is typically what you should be concerned with, not towing capacity.

If you were towing a lot and at distance you might want more of a margin, but for a few times per year and as a daily driver you will likely find a gas engine a good choice. All three of the full size trucks have a gas motor that will tow well in excess of that easily and you won’t have the additional up front costs, def, etc. plus a gas motor is lighter so you have more payload. You likely can find a 3/4 ton gas truck with both the payload and towing capacity you need at ten grand less money.

Ignore what the sales guy tells you and check the load plate! 😁