Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 03:48 AM   #99

My first question is have you ever been camping before and did you like it? Ever been camping with the wife and kids and did they like it? I would hate to see you drop serious coin on a truck for something you are never going to use or do.

Next question, where do you live and where are you towing the camper to? If you live on flat ground and only are going to tow flat ground, it really lessens the truck you need. If you live in hills/mountains and tow hills/mountains it really increases the truck needs. Big difference towing in Colorado versus Iowa.

Also how far are you going to tow? Big difference towing several straight days to reach a destination (and back) versus towing 75 miles to the nearest RV resort or state park.

Also how many times are you going to tow? If it is a 2 or 3 times a year thing versus an all camping season thing, that really changes truck requirements too.

Will this truck be your daily driver? Daily driving a dually that you only really need 2 or 3 times a year SUCKS. They ride rough without a load on. Forget drive thrus, car washes, parking garages or parking anywhere near the door of any place you go. City centers are downright impossible. Street parking is completely out of the question. Even something simple like going to a relative or friends house is a hassle, can you get in their driveway? Will you take up the whole driveway if you do (limiting parking for others)? Can you park it in your driveway and still have room for the wife's car?

I used to have a dually, it sat in my driveway most of the time and I leased a car for my daily driving needs. When the lease was up I turned the car back in and I traded the dually in for my F250 diesel short box single rear wheel pickup. I use the F250 as a daily driver and tow my fifth wheel without issue when I need to and I am much happier. My fifth wheel sits in a permanent spot at a RV resort most of the time, but I do pull it out for 4 or 5 weekends a year for a change of scenery.
BigBlueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #100

The SRW vs. DRW debate can get really amusing. The OP's post was back in the middle of August of 2020 & we still have people babbling about what they think is best!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #101

I can not lie. I like Phatt Butts.Click image for larger version

Name:	0321211557.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	322478
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #102

Actually bought an 07 Silverado 2500 HD, long bed today. Couldnt resist it. Had only 49K miles. So, end of story.
vett82ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:59 AM   #103

Owned a 05 Sunny Brook, was a great 5th wheel. Got laid off two years ago. I panicked. Sold it. Ended up retiring. Bought a 08 Raptor. It all worked out. Enjoy your travels.Click image for larger version

Name:	0816171237_HDR.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	322576
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:43 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
The SRW vs. DRW debate can get really amusing. The OP's post was back in the middle of August of 2020 & we still have people babbling about what they think is best!
The OP posted on Sunday. Then again yesterday to announce he went SRW. He has been quite active throughout the thread. That is why this thread has lasted since August.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:43 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett82ce View Post
Actually bought an 07 Silverado 2500 HD, long bed today. Couldnt resist it. Had only 49K miles. So, end of story.
Good truck. Enjoy!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
Good truck. Enjoy!
Thanks to all!
vett82ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
a 1 Ton Single Rear Wheel truck, even a modern diesel one, should have at least 3300 to maybe 3500 lbs of .
Our 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW has just under 3900 payload.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #108

Another thing dually owners almost never know about or consider:

When a dually driver slams on the brakes at highway speeds unloaded, the rear brakes will lock up even if the truck has ABS installed (don't ask me WHY this happens even on NEW trucks). The truck will go into a full sideways skid and slam into the guardrail or other vehicles.

If you have a dually give yourself plenty of room and practice high speed emergency braking in a huge empty parking lot to see if your truck is affected with this extremely dangerous problem.
a7az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7az View Post

When a dually driver slams on the brakes at highway speeds unloaded, the rear brakes will lock up even if the truck has ABS installed (don't ask me WHY this happens even on NEW trucks). The truck will go into a full sideways skid and slam into the guardrail or other vehicles.

If you have a dually give yourself plenty of room and practice high speed emergency braking in a huge empty parking lot to see if your truck is affected with this extremely dangerous problem.
It has never done this on mine! I've tried that with the slippery Michelins on snow as well as the new Nokians I have on it now.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
It has never done this on mine! I've tried that with the slippery Michelins on snow as well as the new Nokians I have on it now.
Heck my old dually doesnt even do this. Crazy. It read it on the internet so it must be true.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #111

biGGer is bETter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7az View Post

Iv`e owned one for years and been in my share of panic stops. This dose not happen. You can get ANY vehicle side ways in slippery conditions just go play in the snow in your roller skate car and see. where do people come up with this stuff. Like the other guy said, Internet.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote