Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #1

Truck suspension help

I have a 2012 Ford F150 FX4 with Screw and Ecoboost. I would like to raise the rear end a few inches to support the weight of the trailer pin when towing. I know I could add and extra leaf on each axle or I could use air bags like Firestone. Does anyone experience with doing a similar upgrade or thoughts.
Technobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

I had a Ram 1500 that had coils. I ended up adding heavier coils and airbags. The camper we had at the time had a tongue weight of 1050lbs.

I put a set of these on our 3500 and really really like the results. Very easy to install.

Timbren SES Suspension Upgrades - Upgrade Your Truck, Van, SUV
Old 08-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Generally, the air bags would be the normal solution. Timbrens will not raise the truck, just keep it from sagging badly under load.
I have used both types on 3/4 and 1-tons, and I don't have a definitive answer to which is better, but the Timbrens are much simpler to install, and then forget about them. Air bags have to be aired/deflated as necessary, and you can't run them empty, unless you put the new AirLift 5000 Ultimate in.
Hope you can figure out which way to go.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

I chose the extra leaf options. I heard of too many air bag failures. It is a rough ride sometimes. So when the RV is not in use, I move the tool box to the back of the truck bed for a smoother ride.
Paul Pierett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:06 AM   #5

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I had a Ram 1500 that had coils. I ended up adding heavier coils and airbags. The camper we had at the time had a tongue weight of 1050lbs.

I put a set of these on our 3500 and really really like the results. Very easy to install.

Timbren SES Suspension Upgrades - Upgrade Your Truck, Van, SUV
Thanks very much. This looks like the perfect solution. Made in Canada too. I have contacted the local dealer for a quote.
Technobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #6

I'll just go ahead and ask: are you using a WD hitch? I've set a few F150s, including my own, for towing and never had them sag below level using a WD hitch.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #7

Technobody-
Hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine.

I was able to install mine without taking a wheel off or raising the truck. Just 'cause of the natural height of a 1 ton. You can probably install yours with jacking it up a bit. If you do jack it up, raise it with a jack under the axle, not the body. There's a dimension between the bottom of the Timbren and the top of the axle that they want. They send spacers if you need them.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

I installed the AirLift 5000 Ultimate air bags and love the adjustability and the install was super easy.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Extra Leaf + Timbrens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobody View Post
I have a 2012 Ford F150 FX4 with Screw and Ecoboost. I would like to raise the rear end a few inches to support the weight of the trailer pin when towing. I know I could add and extra leaf on each axle or I could use air bags like Firestone. Does anyone experience with doing a similar upgrade or thoughts.
I did both -- an extra leaf (tried 2 extra leafs but rode too rough without the fifth wheel) on each side plus the Timbrens. I have a 2500HD, but installed Timbrens for a 3500 just to increase the resistance to additional weight. They fit in the same holes. Love the system!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #10

I put Airlift 5000 on my F150/5th wheel combo. Rides great loaded and unloaded
tderouchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get a truck.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #12

Yeah, Get a Truck. I have a friend who is the business. Had a lead on a 10 cell diesel GMC. Just was sure until this year was I going to sell out or move on with my NEWMAR 32 to the NW. What the heck!!! So this year something between a Dodge Cummings 4500 or a knock down Semi. Get a truck
Right now I have a 1990 Dodge 250 that I want to finish up for local Car shows in Florida.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

Guys- Not everyone can afford to just go out and 'Get a truck'. In my case I was already making payments on the 1500. The final payment was simply extended by a couple of years when I picked up the 3500. For various reasons not everyone can do that.

Technobody- According to the specs I've looked up, like me with the 1500, you're right near the upper end of your trucks ability. That being said, back to your original question, the Timbrins should make all the difference in the world for you. Like I said, keep us informed.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #14

You got it right White Wolf,
At the end of each RV year, I go into a self debate on keeping this lifestyle. I can drive around in a self contained van for the same cash, but is that why I want. About to leave SD for the summer. I hate leaving and I hate coming up here. But once I am spotted I chill out. But at 4:30 this morning, I will quietly been the routine of packing and getting out of here.

Tags
suspension