Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #1

True Four Season 5th Wheels

Hi All,
I am new to this forum but have been browsing for a little while. I was attempting to find my answer without posing a new thread but I am giving up. So sorry if you have all seen this a million times already...

My husband and I are currently working on selling our home in Idaho and will be transitioning to full time living in a fifth wheel... along with moving to Wyoming! We absolutley must be crazy, is what I am sure you are all thinking, and yes that would be the definition of us.
So... we are trying to determine the TRUE Four Season fifth wheels out there. I see a lot that say four season but few that are actually designed with Wyoming winter temps in mind. I really like the Arctic Fox by Northwood... but what other fifth wheels would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
mnt2bdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #2

4 season 5th wheel means able to be comfortable in 100*F and 10*F temps for short periods

Above/below those temps and it gets to be a PITA

We have a 4 season 5th wheel by NuWa
Attic vents, high insulation value in roof/floor/walls, enclosed and heated underbelly etc
It is 'comfortable' in temps upt to 100*F and down to 10*F
Above 100*F and A/C Units have to start early and RUN
Below 10*F furnace WILL keep unit warm......but you need a large supply of propane or ability to refill almost daily

I grew up on WY and would NOT live in an RV thru a winter in WY.
I do not care WHICH Brand and what they designate as 4 season.
Walls are not thick enough, rig is not air tight enough (WIND) heat escapes/cold creeps in ----cold escapes/heat soaks in (slideout roofs are huge heat sinks (winter/summer).

Guess you have to otherwise WHY?
Best of luck.
IF I was looking for a 4 season Northwoods Artic Fox would be on the list
ORV Mountain and possibly Heartland Big Horn
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

Does it help if I say it will be Ranchester WY? Regardless, my husband is going for work so we decided it will be better than living apart as we have for almost 90% of our marriage.
That being said... I very much appreciate your honest feedback on this. I think Northwood is going to be the path we take, but will look into the Heartland Big Horn and ORV Mountain for sure!
Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Id be looking at a New Horizons, Spacecraft, artic fox, if seeking new. If used add a few more. Continental by Forks, Excel or Nuwa. Go back few years Teton or Newmar come to mind. The kountry aire i had did winter in Minneapolis no problem. My Teton i currently have would handle that cold even better. Many nights last winter single digit and no issue in OK. Its 100 today and still 71 inside. In my opinion also real winter rigs have two furncaes and they run much less and use less propane. No electric heat for me give the furnace any day. Heat the upstairs plus the basement where heat counts alot. I wouldnt own another rig without two. There is an awesome Continental.for sale on RVT if its in your budget.. One word should.come.to.mind when thinking four season. HEAVY. if its not 15k empty its prob not in the right category. Below is the link to what category you need to be looking in my opinion. Wyoming, Rochester NY or any other cold places are no joke in the winter.

https://www.rvt.com/ForksRV-Continen...63073-UX216880
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Id be looking at a New Horizons, Spacecraft, artic fox, if seeking new. If used add a few more. Continental by Forks, Excel or Nuwa. Go back few years Teton or Newmar come to mind. The kountry aire i had did winter in Minneapolis no problem. My Teton i currently have would handle that cold even better. Many nights last winter single digit and no issue in OK. Its 100 today and still 71 inside. In my opinion also real winter rigs have two furncaes and they run much less and use less propane. No electric heat for me give the furnace any day. Heat the upstairs plus the basement where heat counts alot. I wouldnt own another rig without two. There is an awesome Continental.for sale on RVT if its in your budget.. One word should.come.to.mind when thinking four season. HEAVY. if its not 15k empty its prob not in the right category. Below is the link to what category you need to be looking in my opinion. Wyoming, Rochester NY or any other cold places are no joke in the winter.

That thing is INSANE!!! Thank you for this information. Some of these may be a little out of the budget but it does help to understand which ones qualify as true four season and why... but this does give us more options to look into for sure! Thank you!
Old 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnt2bdestiny View Post
That thing is INSANE!!! Thank you for this information. Some of these may be a little out of the budget but it does help to understand which ones qualify as true four season and why... but this does give us more options to look into for sure! Thank you!

Remember itís your residence, and you will be able to deduct the loan interest as if itís mortgage interest. If youíre paying cash, good for you!
NewBlackDak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post

$265,000 for that trailer when new, that's crazy. I would rather buy a class a if I could afford that much money.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnt2bdestiny View Post
I think Northwood is going to be the path we take,

Don't believe the sales pitch. The only thing different between a NW product and the majority of other towables is the in-house produced frame.

Everything else is the same components from the same manufacturers (the same water heaters, pumps, lights, fixtures, leveling systems, etc) with the same grade of assembly quality, that runs from mediocre on most days, to abysmally poor if its your turn in the barrel.

The "four-season" insulation is unsealed fiberglass batting that readily becomes saturated from condensation or road spray. You might be better off renting a single-wide near the intended location.

Want to see what a towable RV is worth?
Call a dealer and ask how much they will give you for one (the model of your choice) that is 1 month old.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

I think old-biscuit said it very well--I don't think there are any on-the-lot true 4-season units available, when considering winters with a lot of snow + wind. Any unit will need really good skirting and area heating underneath, insulated water/sewer lines, and possibly a dehumidifier inside to keep ice off windows. I have spent many winters in portable cabins for the oilfield, and they all have deficiencies unless properly set up to handle the temps and winds. Lived in WY for 10 years, and yep, the house was great until the power went out...speaking of which, you really need a backup power supply.
Also, if you have a good reliable electric source, check out CheapHeat that uses your furnace ducting to supply resistance heat, not propane. Also, will need an oversize propane tank...
Lots of people do what you are looking at, some well, some will never do it again--I won't. Good luck.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #10

I think you can buy a used New Horizon 5th wheel for around 120k. Maybe a bit less.

I agree with the above posts 100%

You can add the Augusta Luxe and DRV Elite or Mobile Suits.

You will want dual pane windows and late model dually truck. It will not be easy to stay warm. Try to keep the rig on the smaller size as it will be easier to heat and cool.

Are the winters colder in Idaho or Wyoming?

Thinking outside the box:

How about a Tiny House?
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #11

Those of you knocking winter in an RV. some food for thought. Minneapolis gets super cold weeks at a time below freezing temps. Windchills minus 20. yes its windy in the twin cities. Never skirted my Newmar. No hay bails just let it be. Heated water hose. only sewer outside when dumping. It used a 40 pound bottle every 4 days. as long as you can refill its not bad. Dual furnaces kept it 68-70 all winter. set thermostats and let it go. only use furnaces no electric that way heat goes where it needs to. And no they didnt run all the time. Two furnaces helps a ton 60,000 btu of heat and it changes ones outlook. A dehumidifier is mandatory set it 35-40% brlow tgat static elevtricity is a prob. My carri-lite only had one furnace. When i went to two furnaces in the newmar kountry aire 39RKWB i was shocked. The right rig does it with ease. sweep snow off when gets to 6 inches and thats really all. Dual or thermopane windows keep the draft out. And make sure slide seals are in good shape. put the rubber protectant on so remain plyable and free. Many rigs today use spray foam closed cell like a house. Even better. That continental i linked, my teton, a newmar like my last rig id take on that cold any day. Thats why i have my rig. if my jobs sends me somewhere. the weather hot or cold is last thing on my mind.

One other note on thermostats. dont move em up while home and down while gone. leave them alone. making them catch up when you get home is the worst thing. they wont ever catch up that night. wont be till next day that they will.

History before going to Minneapolis i called newmar ask then about cold weather rating. Gave them the VIN they said ohh minus 20 no problem.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
$265,000 for that trailer when new, that's crazy. I would rather buy a class a if I could afford that much money.
that kind of quality in a new class A your over a million spent. used coach you could get a nkce coach for 265. most money sucked in...in a class a is the drivetrain.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many manufacturers add a sticker that says Polar Pak or Arctic Pak and call it Four-Season. A lot more than that to make a true Four Season trailer.....like better insulation, radiant heat barrier wrap, heated and enclosed basement area, dual pane windows.

Ken
Old 08-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #14

I really liked the Artic Fox and how solid it felt, BUT I did not like the floorplans at all. I can't stand the idea of watching TV in the kitchen, on a couch that doesn't face the TV.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel