Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

TT to 5th wheel upgrade... Thoughts?

I have been on this forums for a while and nothing but good information that I've received when I started this whole camping thing. I have learned more here than anywhere else so thank you all. I am 2 yrs before retiring from the navy, well I could have retired this November but thanks to COVID my plans where completely changed. Anyway, I currently have a small 2019 wildwood TT that was used for weekend getaways with the family. Now that my plans changed I'm forced to do full time for the time being, my trailer is definitely too small for my needs so I'm trying to do my homework before I take a trip to the dealership and trade it in for a 5th wheel. I have a 2015 chevy 2500hd so trying to stay within towing capacity.... Now my question is : are there any brands that are better than others or is it just what "I feel comfortable with as far as floorplans"? I really like Grand design 5th wheels but I want to stay open minded about other manufacturers.... I guess I just want to know what you guy's think since you are more experienced in the 5th wheel community. Sorry for the long post but I really need some advice since I am not able to bring my family with me until I get something bigger. Thanks to all who read this post.
robledjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

I have a 2014 2500hd. Mine is gas 6.0 motor. Is yours gas or diesel? That will affect payload. Look in the driver's door jam sticker to see what your payload is. This will help you determine what pin weight you can handle. When you put a 5ver hitch in the bed and load any extras for camping and extra weight for people other than yourself-subtract the weight of those items. Do you have a long bed(8') or standard bed? Start there.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips, mine is gas and short bed which I understand I'll need a sliding hitch. Also according to the specs with a 5th wheel hitch it's 14,300 towing capacity but I'll look in the door jam and see what info I can find. Also I think using the Vin # can get me some info as well.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

Put the towing capacity out of your thoughts. With 5th Wheel Camping trailers it is all about the payload capacity. 99 times out of a 100, you will run out of payload capacity long before you reach towing capacity. A 5ver camping trailer will, in almost all instances put at least 20% of the trailer weight down on the truck as pin weight. That is why a previous poster told you to check the door post and find YOUR truck's payload capacity. Once you know that number, you can start doing some estimates on the size of trailer that you can safely haul. Notice I didn't say tow, I stated haul. And remember, not only the pin weight that the trailer is putting on the truck, you have to add up the weight of the hitch, passenger(s), and anything and everything else that goes in/on the truck. If there has been anything added to the truck, after it was built, the weight of that is also deducted from the truck's payload number. Probably, the easiest way to know what amount of payload you have available is to take the truck to a scale and get a weight of the truck, with a full tank of fuel and then deduct that weight from the GVWR of the truck. An example might be a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. The truck weighs 7000 lbs. Your available payload number is 3000 lbs. That 3000 lbs would have to be able to carry the pin weight, the hitch, passengers, and everything else in/on the truck. If all of that is less than 3000 lbs, you are within limits most likely. Hope that helps.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robledjl View Post
I have been on this forums for a while and nothing but good information that I've received when I started this whole camping thing. I have learned more here than anywhere else so thank you all. I am 2 yrs before retiring from the navy, well I could have retired this November but thanks to COVID my plans where completely changed. Anyway, I currently have a small 2019 wildwood TT that was used for weekend getaways with the family. Now that my plans changed I'm forced to do full time for the time being, my trailer is definitely too small for my needs so I'm trying to do my homework before I take a trip to the dealership and trade it in for a 5th wheel. I have a 2015 chevy 2500hd so trying to stay within towing capacity.... Now my question is : are there any brands that are better than others or is it just what "I feel comfortable with as far as floorplans"? I really like Grand design 5th wheels but I want to stay open minded about other manufacturers.... I guess I just want to know what you guy's think since you are more experienced in the 5th wheel community. Sorry for the long post but I really need some advice since I am not able to bring my family with me until I get something bigger. Thanks to all who read this post.

With a 3/4 ton truck you are VERY limited to what you can get for a 5th wheel. MY first suggestion is you and your wife set a budget for your new/ used 5th wheel and then look at replacing your truck to suit your towing needs. At a min you need a single rear wheel one ton to tow any 5th wheel over 10~11,000 lbs , and going over 14000lbs you need to look at a duel rear wheel truck. The problem is most 5th wheels when they are loaded to travel (water , food, clothes and gear) put about 22% of there weight right over the rear axle of your truck. I will say there are a few thing that will change the numbers slightly like the location of water , how much fresh water, gas or diesel drive line , 4 wheel drive ,short trips verse full time (how much extra stuff is in the RV). I know some will say I pull my 16,000lb 5th with my 3/4 ton or one ton single wheel truck any where but the truth is they are well over weight on the rear axle and tire ratings.

I have a 42' redwood full profile 5th wheel that scales at 16,800lbs and puts 3600lbs on the hitch , I pulled it with a one ton single wheel truck that was 800 lbs over the tire and rear axle rating. I had to have air bags , great shocks, aftermarket sway bars and 19.5" tire and wheel upgrade to the truck to hold the 8000 lbs I was carrying on two tires. Fast forward two years and I upgraded the truck and and happy with my decision to drive a duel wheel truck daily. the trailer is much more stable on twisty and windy roads , the weight of the trailer no longer steers the back of the truck as the road angle changes or cross winds.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

Awesome feedback! It's definitely a different ballgame going from a bumper puller to 5ver! Depending on the numbers I get we might have to go with another TT but bigger than what we have now. I just recently bought the chevy 2500hd but like I mentioned, plans changed drastically and wasn't planning on full time rv living so definitely some thinking to do. I'm just glad I can learn more here because if I go straight to the dealer I know they just want to sell not taking in consideration the safety of hauling but that's just my thoughts.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #7

This is what I came up with. The numbers listed where from chevy's Vin decoder website. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_110741.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	317982Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_110719.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	317983
Old 02-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
The 2753 number is what’s gonna get you. Figuring conservatively 500 lbs. in the truck for hitch , passengers, and cargo , you’ll have about 2200 left for pin weight. That leaves you looking at a fifth wheel with a GVWR of around 10k. This is my opinion only.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
The 2753 number is what’s gonna get you. Figuring conservatively 500 lbs. in the truck for hitch , passengers, and cargo , you’ll have about 2200 left for pin weight. That leaves you looking at a fifth wheel with a GVWR of around 10k. This is my opinion only.
Charlie
Hey Charlie. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's what I'm learning that the pin weight is what's going to get me because most of them are over 2k.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #10

My 5ver has a GVW of 10k. The 2500hd 6.0 motors pulls it well. It is a crew cab with standard bed. My trucks payload a little over 3,115lbs since it is also a 2wd. I also have a 4.10 rear axle. The 4.10 helps with towing. Look in your glove box for a sticker with building codes. If it's there you can research codes to see what rear end and items specific to your truck. For me I am not sure I would pull more than 11K. When I fulltimed I pulled 16K with a Chevy dually Duramax. That was a good fit.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk734 View Post
My 5ver has a GVW of 10k. The 2500hd 6.0 motors pulls it well. It is a crew cab with standard bed. My trucks payload a little over 3,115lbs since it is also a 2wd. I also have a 4.10 rear axle. The 4.10 helps with towing. Look in your glove box for a sticker with building codes. If it's there you can research codes to see what rear end and items specific to your truck. For me I am not sure I would pull more than 11K. When I fulltimed I pulled 16K with a Chevy dually Duramax. That was a good fit.
Awesome feedback. Thanks. From the information I'm seeing and maybe that's just me... I might be better off with another travel trailer but big enough for full time. Although I really was leaning towards a 5ver but I want to be able to to haul it safely to my destination. I'm not moving every weekend. I'll be stationary for 2 years. A lot of thinking to do but at least you guy's have given me a good start. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]
Old 02-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #12

Grand Design Owners Club
I just picked up a used 2019 Grand Design Reflection. Amazing interior layout, kitchen and storage. I'm pulling it with a F-250. Numbers are all within specs.

For a hitch I went with a B&W Companion. Got a deal on a used one - there were several around between Facebook and Craig's List.

The rig has the Turning Point pinbox as all the Grand Designs 150 series do. Means I don't need an offset ball or slider. I've towed it both with the turning point locked out and not locked out, the latter moves the pivot point back 22" where I can get my truck to 90° or more for extreme maneuverability. The previous owners never used this capability of the GD Turning point pinbox and stated quite emphatically they never needed it.

BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's been a LONG time & trucks have come a LONG way since then, but we pulled a 30ft Cougar 5th wheel with a Chevy gas 2500HD 4x4, CC, short bed. It was a perfect match (click link for pics) for the truck. Pin wt was just about 1k & if I remember correctly we weighed (loaded for travel) just shy of 9.2k. We did not have a slider hitch but never had an issue (even on an almost 90-degree turn) with the nose kissing the truck rear window.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, upgrade