Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #15

If it is a factory installed inverter it should have a remote control/display panel. Have you looked for that?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #16

drwwicks: The LG residential fridges have no on/off switch. You can power down the compressor by tapping the control panel to disable. This is my first 5th wheel with a residential fridge. Have to make a couple adjustments. I can't get to the power plug so I use the breaker to kill power to the fridge.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
drwwicks: The LG residential fridges have no on/off switch. You can power down the compressor by tapping the control panel to disable. This is my first 5th wheel with a residential fridge. Have to make a couple adjustments. I can't get to the power plug so I use the breaker to kill power to the fridge.
Interesting, didn't know that. Figured all refers would have them. I assume it has a rheostat to adjust temperature.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:59 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for the help. It's a full size residential fridge. No on/ off switch inside the fridge. I've look all under the storage bays, before ever asking for help.
I've decided to just turn the the battery disconnect off and put a trickle charger on it. I was just curious, if I was missing something. I'm sure I am, but a trickle charger will suffice.
MathewS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an inverter it should be located within a few feet of the batteries.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewS View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. It's a full size residential fridge. No on/ off switch inside the fridge. I've look all under the storage bays, before ever asking for help.
I've decided to just turn the the battery disconnect off and put a trickle charger on it. I was just curious, if I was missing something. I'm sure I am, but a trickle charger will suffice.
How long do you plan on being in storage?
With the disconnects turned off, on our unit there is 2, one near the generator and one in the storage compartment. The one in the storage controls the equipment in the unit. The one near the gen allows it to be started when I need to without hooking up the truck.
Only time I accidently drained the batteries was the very first time we brought it home and parked it. I did not turn off the discounts and that allowed the fridge and backup camera to remain energized. After 3 days drained the batteries. Now if we are going to be in storage the disconnects go off.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Are you saying you found no 120v circuit breaker for the fridge? Are you sure the inverter is wired through the battery disconnect and not directly? Or with its own disconnect?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
If you have an inverter it should be located within a few feet of the batteries.

Unless an inverter was added by the dealer as an option at time of purchase, according to Coachman specs the unit would only have a converter - not inverter.
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with a samsung residential refrigerator. First time I brought it home I tried to turn off the refrigerator but guess what no off and on switch, just a tempature switch. Well I ran the batteries down. So I now just hook it up to power and leave the refrigerator on. I could open the breaker box and throw the switch to the refrigerator but it is in front of the bed slide out and hard to get to when the slide out is in. We leave our refrigerator in the house on all the time so what can happen if I leave the motor home one on, just burn a little electric.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Yes it's a residential. I don't need to run it while it's just setting in storage. If I turn the battery disconnect off, will it still charge my batteries? Our old TT didn't have a residential or an inverter. Thank you for your help.
Simply turn the frig control to off and it will not run.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Our residential fridge has an On/Off switch on the control panel. Whirlpool though so don't know about others.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Making this too difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
If it is a factory installed inverter it should have a remote control/display panel. Have you looked for that?
If your fifth wheel is a newer model and came from the factory with a DEDICATED invertor for your refrigerator then there will be a switch to disconnect the invertor from your battery, probably inside your unit or on the invertor itself. The DEDICATED invertor should be located close to the battery. This DEDICATED invertor will have nothing to do with charging batteries or running anything else in your rig. You do not need to turn the refer off, just disconnect from the battery.

When disconnected from the power pedestal simply turn the DEDICATED invertor on and travel right on the road with the refer running and keeping your ice cream frozen. When you get to your next destination simply turn off your DEDICATED refer invertor, plug into the power pedestal and have a cold one. When storing your rig simply turn the DEDICATED refer invertor off and you will be good to go.

It's really that simple and hope this helps.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator