Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2022, 12:15 PM   #1

TV - Dish or Directv

Dish or direct? We had an in motion on our class A obviously don’t need that but I do want a satellite finder I seen a lot of fifth wheels that have a tripod & a dish, would just like to get opinions…. We had direct on the class A…
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2022, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Dish or direct? We had an in motion on our class A obviously don’t need that but I do want a satellite finder I seen a lot of fifth wheels that have a tripod & a dish, would just like to get opinions…. We had direct on the class A…
I think most stream these days.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went Direct, as that's what we have in the house, and I just take the "box" and remote out of the bedroom and throw it in the coach.
We use the Wineguard carryout dome mounted to the roof.
The one we bought accepts Dish or Direct TV.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:15 PM   #4

110% DirecTV

I do use it and Roku Streaming..but love the DirecTV, especially since it's FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!!!
AZstavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #5

If you use a portable then Direct won't give you an HD picture. Only Dish has HD with portables.
If you use equipment from home then obviously use what you have at home and a manual dish.
I use a Wingard PathwayX2 and a Dish Wally receiver along with a stand alone hard drive.
I can stop, record etc with the hard drive.
I also use Dish Pointer Pro app. Finds the sats quickly.
Depending on where you stay will limit any streaming.
I quit DTV 15 years ago. CS was horrible. Dish is also more friendly with RV'ers and satellites.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:37 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If you use a portable then Direct won't give you an HD picture. Only Dish has HD with portables.
If you use equipment from home then obviously use what you have at home and a manual dish.
I use a Wingard PathwayX2 and a Dish Wally receiver along with a stand alone hard drive.
I quit DTV 15 years ago. CS was horrible. Dish is also more friendly with RV'ers and satellites.

I agree 100%. Only think I don't like is you can only turn off Dish month by month, so if you are on a short trip, you still have to pay for a whole month.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
This!
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliWali View Post
I agree 100%. Only think I don't like is you can only turn off Dish month by month, so if you are on a short trip, you still have to pay for a whole month.
True. If you have Dish at home it's only $7. I use mine year round. I have a TV in my shop and use the X2 in there. $84 a year is cheap entertainment.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Not sure what u mean by PORTABLE won't give u DirecTV HD

I use a 3lnb DirecTV dish, just like I have at home. I have 3 Rx dedicated to my RV, and get 100% HD reception

I've had DirecTV since the changed from Primestar, won't ever change....well....if the NFL ticket goes to streaming..I may look into straight cable at home then...but we shall see

I usually set up my dish in less than 10min, using a compass mostly, I do have a phone app if I have some trees to negotiate
AZstavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
This!
Even though I have Direct TV at home Dish was the best choice. User friendly for RV'rs vs Direct TV which isn't friendly to anyone. A simple phone call to change locations for local channels make my use so much better. The free Winegard -tv signal finder is a nifty app for those who don't have auto search satellite dishes and also has station locator for off air stations. The portable Pathway X2 is the best dish for RV'rs since it can pick up both East and West satellites as we travel across the U.S.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #11

DirecTV for us.
hilgert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #12

No brainer for me....Dish. $7 a month.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstavman View Post
Not sure what u mean by PORTABLE won't give u DirecTV HD
What they are referring to is a portable dome antenna like the Pathway X2 they are using. Those will not receive HD on DirecTV, just on Dish.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #14

Dish all the way. I had DirectTV for years at home and when we started trying to use the service with the RV we discovered that DirectTV knew nothing about RV use and they were almost impossible to communicate with. I guess they don't have RV's in India.

We switched our service to Dish and got better rates than DirectTV. With the purchase of a Tailgater Dish and a Wally receiver you have all Dish programing in the RV for an additional 5.00 per month and you can suspend service when not in use with just a phone call.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, directv