Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2022, 05:46 AM   #1

Unable to drain fw tank and water heater

I have a 2021 Alpine 3850 RD and unable to find the drain for the fresh water tank. In the wet bay are two low point drains, assuming just for hot and cold water lines. Looking for the FW tank drain and some way to drain the Suburban IW60 model water heater. Wondering how the original owner drained the tank and heater.

2020 alpine 3850 rd
2019 ram 3500
timeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforus View Post
I have a 2021 Alpine 3850 RD and unable to find the drain for the fresh water tank. In the wet bay are two low point drains, assuming just for hot and cold water lines. Looking for the FW tank drain and some way to drain the Suburban IW60 model water heater. Wondering how the original owner drained the tank and heater.

2020 alpine 3850 rd
2019 ram 3500
The freshwater tank is usually around the axels, start there and see if you can locate any drain valves underneath. Also, you may have a blue & red drain valve hanging down. These are low point drains and will help in draining the water lines in the rig.

Since this is a preowned rig, the previous owner may have cut the underbelly and pushed the valves up inside to help protect the valves from the winter/cold weather.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #3

Unable to drain fw tank and water heater

The drain for fresh tank is generally right below the tank; should be a pex drain line w/valve coming through & hanging just below the chloroplast under belly.

Sorry, no idea if the water heater is a tankless on-demand unit…
The drain for the “old fashioned” water heaters is to remove the threaded plug on the water heater tank itself, but you probably knew that. If it is a tankless unit, you should be able to download a manual on line, maybe.

Happy Trails,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #4

Thank you HAMM2018, after you said that the FW tank is usually near the axles and then further checking I found the drain. You were correct and the tank is no where near the fill valve. I called Suburban and asked about the drain for the tankless heater. They said there is a drain on the rear of the heater which would be inside the trailer, also said if I blew the lines out I should be ok. Want to thank all that helped and took the time to answer my post.
timeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforus View Post
Thank you HAMM2018, after you said that the FW tank is usually near the axles and then further checking I found the drain. You were correct and the tank is no where near the fill valve. I called Suburban and asked about the drain for the tankless heater. They said there is a drain on the rear of the heater which would be inside the trailer, also said if I blew the lines out I should be ok. Want to thank all that helped and took the time to answer my post.
Before you blow the lines out and stop, I would ask about the antifreeze getting in the On Demand water heater system. You can blow it out, but you may not get all the water out and it could cause damage.

Ask them about using the antifreeze to help winterize, especially if it gets really cold at your location.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater