Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Unhooking & Setup 101

After I pull in the campsite and have the RV sitting where it's ready for setup, what are the first 5 things you do (after getting out of the truck)?

1 - chock the wheels
2 - place jack pads under the jacks
3 - lower the front jacks until front of RV just starts to lift
4 - lower tailgate
5 - open the hitch to free the kingpin

Am I close?

Then after pulling the TV clear of the RV, I can push the auto level button?

I know the folks at the dealership are suppose to go over all this with me, but I trust the advice I get here is sound. We'll see how thorough the dealership is. I'm trying to have written procedure notes to follow those first few times. I know y'all will be glad when this is over....hahaha.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #2

You've got it right....only I do different is this 5er is low enough, that I don't use or need cribbing under landing gear
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Before I chock I make sure the slide out is clear of the power pedestal and any trees.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Mostly right. I don't have autolevel so I let the legs down a ways before putting pads under them - makes sure I get them in the right places! Also, you'll have to unhook your truck completely and get it out of the way if the nose has to come down to get level. We have to do this in about 20 - 30% of CGs so I'd do this if it looked even close.

For #3, I want to see a slight gap between the hitch plate and your kingpin plate.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Before I chock I make sure the slide out is clear of the power pedestal and any trees.
x2 BTDT a few times.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Should do that when spotting trailer into site while still hooked up......I changed my slide to function with an RF controller...can be outside watching it.....
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes, always check first. Nothing worse than getting all set up and then realizing your slide is going to hit that one tree branch.

I have never done it, mostly because I once watched another guy do it. Better to learn from someone else's mistakes, right?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I lower the tailgate after I chock the wheels so I don't forget. Also I always use cribbing to shorten the length of the legs for stability. And walking around to check for clearance first is always a great idea.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #9

I would also insure that the power cord and water/sere lines will connect to pedestal/water spigot and the sewer inlet to the septic system before setting up the trailer.

Since a lot of campgrounds were built before some of the newer trailers have been designed and built. As to were the service connections are on the trailer they may make it difficult in hooking up.

As an example my trailer is a 2016 model with the inlet for the sewer, water and electrical connections are all mid point on the trailer. Some campgrounds that I have been to have had the water and electrical connections at the rear of the site with the sewer connections up towards the front of the site. Sewer lines were added later and this way they did not have to worry about interrupting the water and power lines when digging. I have also seen this done the opposite way too.

So, we also check that are umbilical lines will connect before un-hooking the trailer.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
After I pull in the campsite and have the RV sitting where it's ready for setup, what are the first 5 things you do (after getting out of the truck)?

1 - chock the wheels
2 - place jack pads under the jacks
3 - lower the front jacks until front of RV just starts to lift
4 - lower tailgate
5 - open the hitch to free the kingpin

Am I close?

Then after pulling the TV clear of the RV, I can push the auto level button?

I know the folks at the dealership are suppose to go over all this with me, but I trust the advice I get here is sound. We'll see how thorough the dealership is. I'm trying to have written procedure notes to follow those first few times. I know y'all will be glad when this is over....hahaha.
I mentioned this before but a Laminated check sheet will work wonders. Ones side for set up and the other for break down.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Yes, always check first. Nothing worse than getting all set up and then realizing your slide is going to hit that one tree branch.

I have never done it, mostly because I once watched another guy do it. Better to learn from someone else's mistakes, right?

A little trick I use to make sure my slides will clear any power peds or trees. I carry is a piece of dowl that is marked where the side of my slide will be when fully extended. I check this before I unhitch the 5r. No guessing here.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I would also insure that the power cord and water/sere lines will connect to pedestal/water spigot and the sewer inlet to the septic system before setting up the trailer.

Since a lot of campgrounds were built before some of the newer trailers have been designed and built. As to were the service connections are on the trailer they may make it difficult in hooking up.

As an example my trailer is a 2016 model with the inlet for the sewer, water and electrical connections are all mid point on the trailer. Some campgrounds that I have been to have had the water and electrical connections at the rear of the site with the sewer connections up towards the front of the site. Sewer lines were added later and this way they did not have to worry about interrupting the water and power lines when digging. I have also seen this done the opposite way too.

So, we also check that are umbilical lines will connect before un-hooking the trailer.
My water hose is 50' long which I would think should reach in the vast majority of CGs, but the sewer hose is 20' which I think is a standard length. How often is 20' not going to reach the sewer connection?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #13

One time is one time to many.....got 35' out right now...but, I don't stretch them to their max either....
Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Before I check I make sure the slide out is clear of the power pedestal and any trees.
Yup! Learned my lesson. Many years ago we pulled into Blythe Riviera on the Colorado river for a summer holiday weekend. This was after two trailer tire blowouts in the middle of the desert. It was late. Hungry kids. Very Tired. Bypassed my normal set-up protocol and ran the slide out. Heard a strange noise on the bottom of the slide. One of the kids says "that sounds like water spraying". Yep, pushed over a too-tall hose bib and flooded several campsites before maintenance could find the shutoff valve. Passed out a lot of beers to the neighbors that night.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote