Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Update Newbie burnt brakes up activated breakaway drove 4-6 mi

I wrote about this before back in January I pulled out of an RV park and inadvertently engaged breakaway. I then drove 4-6 miles reaching 60 mph before seeing smoke.

I had all 4 brake back plate with all components replaced by a shop in Rogers, AR.

This week traveling from eastern OK to Nashville I noticed after traveling a few hours that one hub was overheating. Thankfully I purchased a cheap IR temp gun a month back.

In route I stopped and checked at a rest stop 3-4 hours west of Nashville and one hub reached 450 degrees while the others were around 130 degrees. I called Coach-Net and since it was after 3:00 on a Sunday they recommended staying overnight because if parts were needed I would be out a second charge. We found an rv park within a few miles. A technician came Monday morning, he pulled tire and wheel as it would not freely turn he adjusted brakes and said it was fixed. We got on the road and within an hour subject hub was running over 300. I would let it cool 20-30 minutes then go for another hour or so. I called Coach-Net about 40 miles from Nashville Shores rv park. I had to argue with them as they said one tech per incident. After going back and forth they agreed to send a mobile technician to rv park.

This tech pulled hub off and brake was down to metal. I said why don’t we just do whole back plate in lieu of pads, magnets, etc.
when he got back from parts store he said someone had put a left side back plate on right side. He took my back plate with him to store and that’s where it became known to him when he asked for right side and it didn’t match one he took off my 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF.
Just thought I would share for other folks.
I have only put 500 miles on trailer since all brakes were replaced.
I kept old part and plan to contact rv service guy that replaced all brakes and seek reimbursement for parts plus what I was out for second mobile tech ($425). I also missed a day at rv park thankfully they refunded the night I missed.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

Makes me wonder if you have 1 more backwards backing plate.

They would have bought 2 of each.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

I would have the entire job inspected at an independent shop and billed to the repair shop. I wouldn't be surprised if the backing plates were swapped l/r all the way around.

I would not accept any noise about "one tech per incident." What does that even mean? An incident isn't over until the problem is fixed. The number of techs or the number of visits required to fix what the technician damaged are immaterial. They sent you down the road in a dangerous and unsafe state due directly to their workmanship. They are responsible for making it right.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Makes me wonder if you have 1 more backwards backing plate.

They would have bought 2 of each.

Your right as to buying 4 they replaced all 4. I sent the old ones back to KZ in the boxes the new ones came in so uncertain if box was marked wrong. It really doesn't matter as RV mechanic said he handled a lot of bearings and brakes along with body work from wrecks. I do know the other 3 all run about the same temp going down highway
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think about this: if you had not activated the e brake, you would not have known about the right-left install error until you had to adjust the brakes or service the bearing. At that point you would have one wheel assy not doing it's job.

Unless.......they are self adjusting and then every time you stop they adjust??

First time I've heard about someone installing them wrong side. Makes me wonder the training level(if any) of the technicians.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
A quick update, I contacted previous RV Repair shop that incorrectly installed the 4 brakes. He is RVIA certified but I think someone else in the shop changed the brakes. He worked me in as a full timer, checked and replaced all brakes and wrote me a check for mobile tech in Nashville. It’s about all I could ask for and much more responsive than the dealer has been.
Regards Ron
Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great to know there are stand up companies out there.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Thanks Ron for the update, glad for you everything worked out financially.
I can understand there is a left and right back plate. I guess they can be mounted on reverse sides, what sounds crazy to me is if the back plates got reversed why didn't the other back plate on the opposite side go into trouble as well. I'm wondering if in the original job the wrong part was in the box and the installer never picked up the problem . I think there is primary and secondary shoes ,one with more braking surface than the other. Guess the installer didn't notice.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
Update Newbie burnt brakes up activated breakaway drove 4-6 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Thanks Ron for the update, glad for you everything worked out financially.

I can understand there is a left and right back plate. I guess they can be mounted on reverse sides, what sounds crazy to me is if the back plates got reversed why didn't the other back plate on the opposite side go into trouble as well. I'm wondering if in the original job the wrong part was in the box and the installer never picked up the problem . I think there is primary and secondary shoes ,one with more braking surface than the other. Guess the installer didn't notice.

CLIFFORD

You are correct as to primary shoe and when put on wrong side the primary is towards back instead of front I think. And yes the other side was wrong as well. I think they moved backing plates and put new magnets and brake pads
I had them save the parts and I know the shoe that was on the back (with back plates reversed) was worn down to metal. They were replaced in January and likely have less than 2500 miles on them. The magnets looked pretty bad as well. We usually stay a month or two at parks so haven’t put many miles on them. I did notice they were not really working. I’m a newbie so I guess more of my learning. I guess it’s good that the adjuster over adjusted and caused one hub to overheat or I might have taken longer to discover problem. Regards Ron
Old 07-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

I hope they repacked that wheel bearing while they were at it. I would be afraid that 400 degrees would melt the grease out of that bearing.

Good to know there are still some stand up companies out there when they do make a mistake.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #11

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
I hope they repacked that wheel bearing while they were at it. I would be afraid that 400 degrees would melt the grease out of that bearing.

Good to know there are still some stand up companies out there when they do make a mistake.

The mobile tech that replaced one back plate on hub that reached 450 degrees repacked it with new grease, but bearing grease was in place and not discolored. The original shop repacked all bearings.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One time we had the break away activate while towing the dinghy. It did a number on the brakes on the dinghy. Apparently, some road debris hit the cable and pulled the pin.

After that I rigged a flashing strobe on a pole in the dinghy that would flash when the break away was tripped. I could see it from the coach drivers seat..

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, newbie