Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #1

****update*** on AUH & LCI

i got the message down below from LCI this morning

Thank you for inquiring. The Anderson Ultimate is considered an adapter that can place excessive stress on the upper deck and pinbox. LCI still does not recommend using this hitch

so if you our one of these folks using the AUH and have a lippert frame and using the mor-ryde cushioned pin box, do you think that LCI is over thinking the stress factor, because of using those set ups?

so if do have this set up, are you ok with it do you have any plroblems or issues?

thanks

2016 ford f350 6.7 short bx

2019 Columbus 366rl
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
P5W

I've been using my AUH / Morryde for 3 1/2 years to tow my 14,000 lb 5th wheel over 40,000 miles with zero issues.
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

P5W,do you have the rail mount or aluminum version? what is your 5W frame? any any issues with your pin box.

thanks
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
P5W

I actually had the rail mount for almost 2 years and I've had the aluminum gooseneck version for the past 1 1/2 years towing about 25,000 miles. My frame is a lippert frame. I even moved my morryde from my last 5th wheel to this trailer.
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrms88 View Post

Thank you for inquiring. The Anderson Ultimate is considered an adapter that can place excessive stress on the upper deck and pinbox. LCI still does not recommend using this hitch

so if you our one of these folks using the AUH and have a lippert frame and using the mor-ryde cushioned pin box, do you think that LCI is over thinking the stress factor, because of using those set ups?

so if do have this set up, are you ok with it do you have any plroblems or issues?

thanks

2019 Columbus 366rl
I called Morryde Direct. They had some choice words directly from their engineer. Overall they said the AUH should never be used with any pin that has any movement. Rubber pin box, trail air, so forth.

Recently another member's frame snapped requiring front cap removal and a boatload of work.

I elected to heed their advice and just got a normal BW companion hitch. It's been fine.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:

thanks

2019 Columbus 366rl
Why do you consult experts, engineers if you are going to do what you think is better? Both LCI and Morryde have advised against. Soon you will be whining when you have frame troubles and they wont fix it free under warranty.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
P5W,do you have the rail mount or aluminum version? what is your 5W frame? any any issues with your pin box.

thanks
Knowing someone else's rig has been trouble free does nothing to reduce your risk. You can't see their frame design, steel gauge or quality of welds, or even your own details. Lippert makes many different frames to different builder specs. Some owners have problems even with a standard hitch, some slap on a full GN extension and don't have problems. The AUH adds less stress than any other adaptor, but it still adds stress.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Dayle1, I have the AUH and really like it in F-350. I agree with everything you say, but not sure about AUH and less stress. Can you explain?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Dayle1, I have the AUH and really like it in F-350. I agree with everything you say, but not sure about AUH and less stress. Can you explain?
Sure, the amount of extra stress added to the fiver frame depends on the distance and angle from the king pin to the new pivot point. With the traditional GN extension, that is about 14", the distance from the king pin to the floor mounted ball. The AUH, since it raises the pivot point off the truck floor, adds minimal stress. But when the adapter plate is turned with the ball forward of the king pin, those extra few inches adds stress.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #10

If I never have to by a trailer with a lippert frame I'll consider myself lucky or smart.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #11

I think it has less to do with stress the AUH provides and more to do with LCI being the builder of the Reese Goosebox.
What better way to get rid of competition than to say all hitches other than the Reese goosebox (the hitch we make) will void your warranty.

I tried the goosebox and liked it. If I didnt have a recessed gooseball I would have went that route over the AUH. But I am really happy with my AUH, i like it better than any true fifth wheel hitch I have ever used (most B&W's).

I DO NOT have the mor ryde though, just a standard lippert pin box.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

When you build thousands of frames as Lippert does the law of averages dictate that some will have problems. The frames are built to the manufacturers specs. Just as with cars trucks and every mass produced product. Recently a new owner of a DRV had frame problems. A lot of it you can trace to the crap suspension many manufactures but on their trailers or the abuse by people that jacknife their trailer on hard surfaces lots of frame stress there.I sure wouldn't blame Lippert every time a frame cracks. Maybe some of these crap roads in parts of the country play a part also.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
or the abuse by people that jacknife their trailer on hard surfaces lots of frame stress there.
Abuse huh? Fascinating. I do it all the time. In fact I'd consider it "situation normal" verses anything extraordinary. I also do weird things like take my 4x4 trucks offroad, which some consider "abuse"....

Fortunately, I dont have a lippert frame

Honestly though, anymore. I am perfectly willing to stay within the manufacturers guidelines, and warranties and just not worry about it. Could straying outside and trying the AUH work out and you get 100,000 miles of effortless towing with no issues? Its possible.

Or you could need to spend $10k in frame work......I know what I would do.....

From my understanding its a good hitch, but its not $10k in risk good. I have more important fish to fry.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
When you build thousands of frames as Lippert does the law of averages dictate that some will have problems. The frames are built to the manufacturers specs. Just as with cars trucks and every mass produced product. Recently a new owner of a DRV had frame problems. A lot of it you can trace to the crap suspension many manufactures but on their trailers or the abuse by people that jacknife their trailer on hard surfaces lots of frame stress there.I sure wouldn't blame Lippert every time a frame cracks. Maybe some of these crap roads in parts of the country play a part also.
Lippert needs to build frames strong enough for any road. Geesh, if I do get a trailer with a Lippert frame I'm going to make sure I stay on Americas finest roads.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote