Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #1

Upstairs Living Area

Hi there. A few years ago I saw some 5th whls at the show that had the living area upstairs where the mstr bdrm typically is. Is there a name for that style? Can someone tell me who makes them?

Thanks
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
Hi there. A few years ago I saw some 5th whls at the show that had the living area upstairs where the mstr bdrm typically is. Is there a name for that style? Can someone tell me who makes them?

Thanks
I know which ones you are talking about. We looked at the same ones. I do know it was at a CW show in 2017. Let me see if I kept any info.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

Found the one we looked at. [emoji3] Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_135935.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	218816
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #4

All the rv manufacturers make FL Front Living room models. Usually have 4 slides. Very nice but generally you are into a heavier pin trailer and a 40 footer. Need a minimum 1 ton Tow vehicle and better if you have a dually. 4 slide trailers are heavy and long. Lots of side wind resistance.
Just my 1 /2 cent opinion

YMMV
RoadrunnerII
Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Yes they usually have a designation of FL for front living.

I prefer to have the galley on the same level as the living room because it makes for one large room rather than having small walls between the two. Anyone in kitchen is separated from the living area both literally and figuratively
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

If you want front living, then you would love this one from Grand Design. https://youtu.be/ctxsz_Q2tnA
Old 09-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #7

Mobilemike, good point. My DW would sure get her workout going up and down the steps bringing me Cheetos & beer! Lol

RoadrunnerII, I'd love a new dually but that'll cost more than the 5W, lol, but hey go big or stay home, right? I was thinking more along the lines of a seasonal rig though.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

cougar 2018 367fls, this thing is awesome, loaded to the hill, I just picked one up about 1 week ago after a ton of research(to much research) right around 43000
rcmadman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
Mobilemike, good point. My DW would sure get her workout going up and down the steps bringing me Cheetos & beer! Lol
In the yacht industry it is called "galley up" or galley down"

Galley downs were the norm for many decades for design reasons. But the complaints eventually started because the galley cabinets were as tall as the women heads. Anyone in the galley was completely cut off from the salon. The other problem was want you stated. Navigating stairs while holding food or drinks was a real problem in a moving boat.

That is when galley ups began to come in. It opened the entire space into a great room
Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #10

We have a Cardinal 3825FL. Love it. We only use the living room at night. No stair climbing to get to the bathroom. I don’t know why the pin weight would be heavier, nothing up there but some furniture and a TV.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #11

I looked at a Cardinal 3825fl on RVTrader. Sweet rig! That thing looks like a Class A with a hitch instead of a cab! Lol

Tags
air