Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Use auto battery in permanent parked 5th.

We have parked our 2001 Royals International 5th wheel permanently, under roof in Central Texas for our winter home. We have converted to residential refer, electric (120 vac) furnace and a flush toilet. 12vdc is only used for lights, ceiling fan and igniting the gas water heater and kitchen range.

We currently have 3 old 12volt, deep cycle batteries in it. We want to replace these batteries. I am considering replacing them with a single 12 volt HD auto/truck battery. Since the unit is always connected to electric, with small electric load and continuous charging, I felt this could be a better and more economical choice than a deep cycle replacement. Your thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

I don't see any problem with this as long as the battery is well maintained and stays fully charged.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #3

I'm sure it would work, but the question is how long will it last? Most of us use 2-6v (or more) in series for longevity. If it is a winter home you may wish to consider AGM so water is not an issue.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

The converter will power the 12V in the trailer so there is not need for batteries.....but....if there is a power outage batteries will keep you from being in dark without warm water. In a pinch you could pull a battery out of a vehicle.

A battery shop could run an equalization charge on your old batteries so you can squeeze some more life out of them.

Good friend of mine works at on of the big 3 dealers. They put used batteries that have been equalized and tested in all the used vehicles they sell
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

Only issue is which CONVERTER you have......

That 2001 vintage is most likely a single stage fixed voltage charger and could over-charge a single battery
Plus that converter may also be the type that needs a battery connected to use as a 'load' for it to have regulated voltage.

Single HD auto/truck battery will work OK
Just be aware of how your converter works
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks folks. I think I’ll give it a try. Appreciate your input!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

Group 31 has worked for me
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

I would also suggest matching the CCA capacity of your current trailer batt
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #9

I would check w any local RV or battery dealer. Many folks replace a whole bank because some are bad and don't want to mix old &new...good practice.
They may have some still useful ones for cheap that would do fine when used as you describe.
You can give them one of your bad ones for core charge.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
IC2

Unless you already have a 'spare' automotive battery, the cost differential for a deep cycle battery, say from Walmart, is minimal.(I owned a TT predecessor to a Royals, a Rolls years back)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #11

I always like to have a bit more then is needed, for contingency. As mentioned, a power outage could have you wishing you had a bit more AH's. I see no problem with your usage, going to a the single battery. But agree that I'd go for a true deep cycle 12V, or two 6V. If you don't mind maintaining Wet's, they are more economical to buy. If you want to put them in and forget them, the AGM allows that.... But, also check that your charger can handle AGM values.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only issue is which CONVERTER you have......

That 2001 vintage is most likely a single stage fixed voltage charger and could over-charge a single battery

Plus that converter may also be the type that needs a battery connected to use as a 'load' for it to have regulated voltage.

Just be aware of how your converter works
I know about single output converters but I though they'd went out of style in the 80's. Good to know (but hard to believe) manufactures still used them in 2001. Any idea what year WAFCO and PD came out with the "3stage" converters.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can use any type of battery so long as you are only using it to filter the DC. Starting (Auto) MARINE/deep cycle (WHat you most likely hae now) or DEEP CYCLE

The difference between them is basically how far you can run 'em down before they start fast aging.

Starting batteries like to be kept full, 80-90% State of charge MINIMUM

MARINE/deep cycle can go a LITTLE lowerm say 75-80%

DEEP CYCLE to 50 %
Old 12-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I would also suggest matching the CCA capacity of your current trailer batt
CCA is not a concern in RV batteries.

Amp-Hour capacity would normally be a concern in an RV but for the OP's case it is not. He could get by with a small 7 AH gel cell like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NPP-Rechargea...+battery&psc=1
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery