Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Use Laundromat or Have Washer & Dryer
Use Laundromat 26 50.98%
Have Washer & Dryer 25 49.02%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I do not have a w/d in my rig but if I ever go full-time I think it would be a "must have" item. In the laundry rooms I have found dirty washers, washers that do not clean my clothes (or muddy paw prints off my sheet), and dryers that either burn my clothes or do not get them dry enough.
There is a good solution for you, Barbara!

We most often go to a laundry in town. They are in the business to try to do it right, and online reviews have not failed us yet.

My DW did not relish the thought of 2 hours to do a load in the RV (especially when what she and I have on is a full load) when 90 minutes does the whole shebang.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We most often go to a laundry in town. They are in the business to try to do it right, and online reviews have not failed us yet.

My DW did not relish the thought of 2 hours to do a load in the RV (especially when what she and I have on is a full load) when 90 minutes does the whole shebang.
X2. We find a well run Laundromat if CG facility is undesirable. Couple hours gets all the wash done and one less thing to break in the motorhome.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #17

We have the stackables and would not be without them. We can do laundry on our terms. Right now we have a load washing and one drying. It is evening and we are sitting around in our sweats Still only have to take care if laundry a couple times a week and we do not have lots of clothing. We can wash everything except for our quilt. Laundries can be filthy, nasty places even in campgrounds.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My vote would go to use both
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
There is a good solution for you, Barbara!

We have the hook-ups for a combo but I prefer the Laundromat. With jeans and towels to wash, we would never finish. At the laundry, it is done. a couple hours every 10 days or so, is a simple thing. And you get to feel like you accomplished a chore well done.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
One irritation with needing to use laundromats is having to store dirty clothes until laundry time. In the shower stall? In the closet? Never a good place. So much easier to throw a small load in ever day or two while you're doing something else.
IMHO, the stackables are much nicer than the combos.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
We have the hook-ups for a combo but I prefer the Laundromat. With jeans and towels to wash, we would never finish. At the laundry, it is done. a couple hours every 10 days or so, is a simple thing. And you get to feel like you accomplished a chore well done.
I feel that way every morning when I find I'm still breathing
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
One irritation with needing to use laundromats is having to store dirty clothes until laundry time. In the shower stall? In the closet? Never a good place.
For us, the space that a W/D would fill is more than enough space for a large laundry basket. ;-)

To the OP: Each to their own. You have a decision to make and certainly enough fodder for that now.

Best wishes!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
For over 15 years I have gone to the laundry in town 98% of the time.
The other 2% times campground, friends and sons
Laundromats have bigger washers & dryers and more of them then most campgrounds.

Maybe I haven't looked close enough to notice any of those nasty, dirty, washers or dryers that burn or put dirt on my things. Guess I have just been lucky that way.

The ones I have been at usually have a TV to watch and I like to use the washers that do a double rinse. Does those small combo models have that? In less then 2 hours I have my usual 4 loads done and on my way to stop and get a Great Strawberry milkshake for a treat on the way home.

My laundromat 4 loads would mabe be 8-9 loads in a small combo. Or could be 16 to 18 hours. Laundry mats have went up in price over the years.

For 2013 my Quicken says I spent $218.43 on Laundry that year and includes all soaps, cleaners, softeners, ect. and all coins for laundromat machines. Just can't see buying a $1,100 plus small washer to put in the MH that takes up space and may need repaired and takes more time to do a wash.

Then you will still need to go and use those dirty, nasty machines for your bigger items. And when staying a month or more the extra electric the combo uses may not be included in campground site rate.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #24

We just vacation in our MH. Seldom more than 6 weeks. Sometimes just the 2 of us, often adding a grandchild with or without parents. Our current MH has the Splendide combo washer dryer, and we were so happy when we first had it available. The last 5 years has shown that we usually just use the camp laundry when we are out and about. The RV washer takes a very small load...underwear OR a couple of towels OR a few T-shirts...certainly not a combination of any of the above. It really works well when the grandkids need to freshen bathing suits or beach towels. The Splendide also has a very long cycle time...about 2 hours for a load, but it is water saving.
The next rig will not have a washer/dryer or a washer and dryer, we will just use the facilities at the campground. Experience has shown that the campgrounds we tend to frequent have very nice, up to date facilities.
JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
For those of you who have voted against the in-rv washer/dryer....how many of you have actually had one (them)? It is easy to say that you would prefer a laundry mat, but your vote is actually miniscule if you don't have any experience with the other. Right?

Not a good poll as it was worded wrong. The poll should have included those who have used both. Then the results would make sense.

Just my opinion, of course.

Have a great day...

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #26

Excellent point. My DW really likes having the smaller but functional stacked W/D. We used to go to the laundromat with a sock full of quarters.

We will have a stacked W/D in our next unit or else we will not buy it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
For those of you who have voted against the in-rv washer/dryer....how many of you have actually had one (them)? It is easy to say that you would prefer a laundry mat, but your vote is actually miniscule if you don't have any experience with the other. Right?

Not a good poll as it was worded wrong. The poll should have included those who have used both. Then the results would make sense.

Just my opinion, of course.

Have a great day...

Ron
I don't see it that way ... that's like saying I really need to own and carry a canoe, or a bowling ball, or a jackhammer when I can rent one. I already know what I prefer. I think both viewpoints are valid regardless of whether I had a washer/dryer in an RV before ... it's not like I haven't seen them, priced them, and assessed the "need". And, I think the folks who have a washer/dryer onboard and have never NOT HAD a washer/dryer onboard, also have a valid opinion.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Splendid combo and use it for small items. When jeans, sheets and such needs washing we go to the laundrymat. That's why I noted we use both. We camp several months a year.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote