Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Used Lexel on EDPM roof

hi im fairly new to rving i just purchased my 2nd rv a 2013 infinity 3860ms 42fter upgraded from a 2007 keystone springdale 27fter. my new rv has a edmp rubber roof. I had some leaks and I recently sealed them with lexel. It was great to use and worked magnificently the leaks have stopped. I read its not good to use this product because it contains some petroleum distilates. But dicar lap sealant does also? im confused. So far so good tho id just like to hear from the experienced guys. I had a 6 day rain system moving in and was leaking and i was only able to get the lexel locally and got it on about 8 hours before rain fell. As it said it worked perfectly. I will moniter the rubber membrane but as far as i read the only problem is possible warping but that is aesthetic according to several articles I read. In the future hopefully this summer I plan to roll on the dicor 2 part cleaner/rubber system and redo the entire roof. But for all the negatives ive read about this lexel and edmp roofing, i havent seen any warping or anything on mine after a week now looks perfect and seal is strong and water tight. Thanks guys
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #2

camper i guess I mean not rv im also new to the terms
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

Nobody? It seemed to work perfect and bond extremely well? I don't get why you aren't supposed to use it on the epdm. It seems like its working great and holding very tight I dunno. I bought some dicor lap sealant and I was going to go over everything I did with the lexel (going past it onto the untouched epdm) But I just dont see why if its working well...
Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

I’ve never heard of using it on the roof. Hope it holds up for you and stays flexible. That’s one of the biggest reasons for the Dicor.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #5

The lexel is much more flexible than the dicor though its almost elastic. I believe it has to do with the ingredients in them but they both have petroleum distilates lexel i just believe has a higher concentration, but it doesnt seem to have any effect so far. Maybe years down the road over time it eats away the epdm thats the only thing I can think of. But by then ill have reroofed the thing. Thank you for your input though at least I know im not the only one here
Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #6

My understating is that Dicor has very small amounts of petroleum distillates that dissipate during the curing. The warning is I believe using an abundance of caution in reference to EPDM roofs. Trying to use something such as gasoline for example to clean a roof would destroy it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
My understating is that Dicor has very small amounts of petroleum distillates that dissipate during the curing. The warning is I believe using an abundance of caution in reference to EPDM roofs. Trying to use something such as gasoline for example to clean a roof would destroy it.

Thanks for the input. I was at the camp site today doing some roof work with dicor lap sealant. I must say I MUCH prefer the stickiness of the lexel but I have read the same as you. I used a whole tube of lexel on my 2013 infinity 5th wheel roof all around the roof edge and around many vents. After a few weeks there seems to be no negative effects at all so far, no warping no signs of weakening or tearing. But its only been a few weeks. I went over most of the roof seals that I used the lexel on with a nice layer of the dicor today and went a half inch beyond out of my paranoia, but I didn't do anything with the perimeter line I did and it looks fine and its water tight and I'm going to ride it out and see how it gos. As far as I can tell aside from labor which myself and many many able bodied friends would do with the help of some beers, we can just scrape it off worse case and use the cleaner and roll on a new layer. But really the lexel seemed better than the dicor to me as far as the adhesiveness but I will monitor it constantly. But for now im going to leave the roofline bead of lexel in place and see how it gos
Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I just used Lexel for my latest repairs. It was much easier to use and obtain than the Dicor I used for a previous repair. I did not notice any ill effects from the Lexel when checking the roof after a hail storm last Tuesday.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #9

I agree I thought it was much less obtrusive in the sense you cant even see it literally its like invisibile/see through even after weeks. no signs of damaging the rubber roofing. I think its more of a sense that one of the ingredients EG petroleum can ruin rubber, but its way too low of a concentration in lexel to bother the epdm roofing. i was once again today up on the roof and it was perfect. The dicor i used last was fine but you can tell it has nowhere near the adhesiveness/flexability the lexel does. The lexel is like a big rubber band that wont let go lol. The dicor is semi hard like a putty its sticking fine but i call bullshit on the not being able to use lexel on the roof at this point or the rv proflex which i also bought and it seems very similar although i prefered the lexel it was easier to run a bead like thinner i dunno, but trying to get it off my fingers was impossible. and if its like that on my roof edges thats what i want
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurb69 View Post
I agree I thought it was much less obtrusive in the sense you cant even see it literally its like invisibile/see through even after weeks. no signs of damaging the rubber roofing. I think its more of a sense that one of the ingredients EG petroleum can ruin rubber, but its way too low of a concentration in lexel to bother the epdm roofing. i was once again today up on the roof and it was perfect. The dicor i used last was fine but you can tell it has nowhere near the adhesiveness/flexability the lexel does. The lexel is like a big rubber band that wont let go lol. The dicor is semi hard like a putty its sticking fine but i call bullshit on the not being able to use lexel on the roof at this point or the rv proflex which i also bought and it seems very similar although i prefered the lexel it was easier to run a bead like thinner i dunno, but trying to get it off my fingers was impossible. and if its like that on my roof edges thats what i want

Can you post a picture of the Lexel you are using? If possible a picture of one of your repairs with it would be great too. I’m thinking it would certainly be good to replace some of silicone the factory uses. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
Can you post a picture of the Lexel you are using? If possible a picture of one of your repairs with it would be great too. I’m thinking it would certainly be good to replace some of silicone the factory uses. Thanks.

Yep I can take some pics in a couple days when I go back out to the camper but it was just the clear lexel i dont think there are different kinds you use it in a caulk gun https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/ its the clear tube.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurb69 View Post
Yep I can take some pics in a couple days when I go back out to the camper but it was just the clear lexel i dont think there are different kinds you use it in a caulk gun https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/ its the clear tube.

Thanks, I think I’ve seen it in small squeeze tubes too.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #13

Interesting, I have never heard of Lexel. I am not overly impressed with Dicor the times I have used it. Seems to always stay a bit sticky and is a dirt magnet, especially here in the dry Nevada desert with the wind and dust. Also had a few small 1/4' splits in it a few months after I put in a Maxxair vent. So, went over it again and touched up those spots.
Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:59 AM   #14

Yep I didn't even think about petroleum and rubber roofing and I just applied it. Was up there today again no problems with the seal. It seems IMO the dicor would dry up and crack wheras the lexel seems to be like silicon that never fully dryed even though its fully dryed. It has an excellent stick and it just remains real flexible and mallable without losing grip. But I dont know the long term effects. i was there today I forgot to take pictures of the seems but they look the exact same and are water tight. I took some of the roof for an arborist forum regarding a paper birch tree I have leaning over my camper. It just looks like see through silicone all around the roof line. No signs of warping etc I will try to remember this weekend to take pictures ill be out for a couple days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bitch6.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	248890  

Tags
roof