Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #15

I use the cruise control most of the time, at least while on the interstate hiways and most all other good roads. I haven't had a problem with the transmission down shifting. I get better milage on cruise.

1999 Fleetwood Southwind
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As stated above by others it is not a problem, and can give you your best mileage and will make the trip more enjoyable. Same reasons the big rigs have cruise control.... So in essence the gf is wrong....oooohhhh did I say that..lol..
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use CC most of the time. Towing or not.. Always have. If I'm in very hilly country (SC-59 between Fair Play and Seneca) I may disengage it because..> Well it has it's limits.. Or I may just override it on the uphill segments.

But running it up to 55 or 60 and pushing the button.. Beats the dollars out of pulling out the check book and writing a check to the xxth district court for speeding.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Love the cruise control

We use CC all the time, in the car and in the RV.

1. No speeding tickets.
2. No leg cramps.
3. Better overall MPG.

Only real problem is the people in front of you that drive slower and slower up the hill and fly down the hill. Or slow down when on the phone then wake up and speed past you--until the next call.

In the mountains take it out of overdrive and do not use the CC. It will overheat the trans otherwise. My hubby did that on our first Rocky Mtn trip, he was a little over confident of the trucks abilities.

We have not added any type of exhaust brake etc. Using a lower gear has always held the rig back on the long grades down. We have never had brake failure or brake overheating. (Towing this rig since 2002).
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
On my rig, the cruise control also controls the engine brake. I use it all the time on major highways, except where there are lots of woopdeedoos. Then I find it annoying to have the throttle bouncing from full to idle and back. I just keep steady pressure on the pedal let my speed fluctuate.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #20

Cruise control is great for everything others have said. I personally think that there needs to be a steering wheel pressure sensor ("Dead Man" or "I'm asleep" switch) to disengage the darn thing.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cruise

I have been using CC in all my MH's. I can drive for more hours using CC and feel great. Have never had a problem using CC. Some people said they would not use it incase it stuck and they couldn't control the coach.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #22

I use the CC when towing. It lets me watch traffic closer with out worring about a ticket. Also it lets me monitor the Exhaust temp. on long hills so that I don't burn up the engine. (the truck pulls the hills with no problems in 6th gear but the exhaust temp will climb near to the limit) So I will down shift to lower the temp.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #23

I use cruise when on fairly level ground. With my gasser, it shifts too much in the hills and I shift it myself before losing too much speed. The button on the shift lever makes this easy.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
All the time. As stated if I don't use it my bad habit is I creep up until I notice the engine noise which has been north of 80 more then once. These trucks (Even my decade old one.) today have so much power it's really easy to ramp the speed up.

I do turn it off in heavy traffic and serious hills but in general I just leave it be.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverna View Post
Is it safe to run on cruise control on major highways?

My gf insists that, if pulling anything, cruise control should not be used at any time.

Don

Could she give a little more info on what she believes is unsafe about it?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote