Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2
Vanleigh 5th wheels, any good anymore?

We are considering a new 2022 Vanleigh Beacon 42RDB. I do have concerns on the overall quality of the unit. Existing owners please be honest here.
__________________
******************
2008 Providence 40x
rweissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
oscarvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 939
Not an owner but I've owned a lot of types and brands, new and used.

My opinion is that for the higher level price points you get better appliances, countertops, mattresses, flooring, sound light fixtures..... you know the stuff that you notice while you're touring a unit. You are paying a LOT for these upgrades.

The basic fit and finish is the same across the board. Same Amish and Crackheads in a race against the clock. So it is not the brand you're looking for, you're looking for a good one within the brand. When they were having a good week in the factory and cared a little bit more. They all have design flaws. Some more than others.
__________________
'20 RAM 3500 Long Horn '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/
Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Not an owner but I've owned a lot of types and brands, new and used.

My opinion is that for the higher level price points you get better appliances, countertops, mattresses, flooring, sound light fixtures..... you know the stuff that you notice while you're touring a unit. You are paying a LOT for these upgrades.

The basic fit and finish is the same across the board. Same Amish and Crackheads in a race against the clock. So it is not the brand you're looking for, you're looking for a good one within the brand. When they were having a good week in the factory and cared a little bit more. They all have design flaws. Some more than others.
What he said x2
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 745
Ditto above posts........EXPENSIVE, albeit nice looking, features, decor and layout. An owner towed a new 45 ft Beacon fifth wheel trailer (not your model) from from Oregon to Palm Desert 1000 miles and he had a BIG SMILE so was happy with it.
__________________
2020 Montana 3780RL fifth wheel (41 ft) / 2016 F-350 6.7L diesel crew cab long bed 4x2 DRW
2022 Entegra Vision 27A / 2021 Chevy Equinox LT AWD toad
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
jacknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,373
I would look at others in the same price range . For all the money they want their suspension is really basic . Riverstone is also a brand within that price range . Thicker walls . They have a forum so u can conversation and read about problems . They all have problems . Beacon is built in Mississippi .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
oscarvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 939
Oh, and if you want to hear the ugly join their FaceBook page. I joined 5 brands when I was shopping.......
__________________
'20 RAM 3500 Long Horn '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/
Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #7
Community Moderator


 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Full timing
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by rweissen View Post
We are considering a new 2022 Vanleigh Beacon 42RDB. I do have concerns on the overall quality of the unit. Existing owners please be honest here.
Every brand has issues, allot depends on how the manufacturer handles the issues under warranty, and beyond warranty. Generally, the warranty is 1 year, but there is a 3-year structure warranty on some brands. Also, the appliances can have a 2-year warranty, that the manufacturer or dealerships do not explain.

We have a Road Warrior toy-hauler, and within the 3-year warranty, we had a sidewall crack happen. Heartland paid for the repairs for the crack. They did not pay for the repairs to the broken spring hangar that happened on the way to the repair shop for the sidewall. As far as the sidewall crack, it reoccurred in August 2021, and due to our schedule, we could not get it repaired at that time. But last week we had it repaired, Heartland covered the cost because they determined it was a bad fiberglass work that made it spider-web crack a year later.

So, customer service, does/should carry some weight in your decision.
__________________
2018 Road Warrior 427/2016 golf cart (gas) sold
2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Teamfoxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,653
I don't own one, but have a neighbor in FL who has had endless leaks and another owner, in the park, had his back to the dealer many times. The dealer finally returned their money and took it back. I didn't like that you could not get anywhere inside until you put the slides out. It was beautiful though.
__________________
TeamFoxy ~ Traveling North America
2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710
2017 Chevy Equinox in tow.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:23 PM   #9
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rweissen View Post
We are considering a new 2022 Vanleigh Beacon 42RDB. I do have concerns on the overall quality of the unit. Existing owners please be honest here.


We have a 2022 Vilano. We have not had many issues. The service advisors at Vanleigh are great. I have had a couple of new 5th wheels and this by far is better built than my Redwood. I didnít by the Beacon as we chose to do the options on the Vilano and still came in way cheaper. Yea we donít have full body paint but I have everything we wanted. One downfall so far is I wish there was an option for Moryrde suspension. Not many manufactures offer it. Yes itís true Vanleigh has some issues but still better than the rest of their competition in my opinion. The family did sell to Thor, but all management is still in place. We were told they are going to leave Tiffian & Vanleigh run independent like they did Airstream. You can go to the Vanleigh Facebook page and you will see many happy customers. Yes there are some complainers just like any other complainers. The RV industry has good and bad manufactures. Most of the problems are with the dealers as they donít have good qualified service techs. If you want to message me, I would be glad to answer some questions if I can. My wife consulted for many rv manufactures so Vanleigh was on the top of her list for great service and quality.
If you do have warranty work, you can go to the service center in MS. A lot of people go back every year for once a year inspections. They do fantastic work and they get the parts from the factory. We went there for some minor items to be fixed and was blown away by the quality of work they do. They even make new cabinets and make conversions. I donít know of any other places that do that . These are not made by Amish like in Indiana.
Poormarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:36 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poormarky View Post
We have a 2022 Vilano. We have not had many issues. The service advisors at Vanleigh are great. I have had a couple of new 5th wheels and this by far is better built than my Redwood. I didnít by the Beacon as we chose to do the options on the Vilano and still came in way cheaper. Yea we donít have full body paint but I have everything we wanted. One downfall so far is I wish there was an option for Moryrde suspension. Not many manufactures offer it. Yes itís true Vanleigh has some issues but still better than the rest of their competition in my opinion. The family did sell to Thor, but all management is still in place. We were told they are going to leave Tiffian & Vanleigh run independent like they did Airstream. You can go to the Vanleigh Facebook page and you will see many happy customers. Yes there are some complainers just like any other complainers. The RV industry has good and bad manufactures. Most of the problems are with the dealers as they donít have good qualified service techs. If you want to message me, I would be glad to answer some questions if I can. My wife consulted for many rv manufactures so Vanleigh was on the top of her list for great service and quality.
If you do have warranty work, you can go to the service center in MS. A lot of people go back every year for once a year inspections. They do fantastic work and they get the parts from the factory. We went there for some minor items to be fixed and was blown away by the quality of work they do. They even make new cabinets and make conversions. I donít know of any other places that do that . These are not made by Amish like in Indiana.
We are in the market now and have narrowed it to Vanleigh and Grand Design. We seem to hear "less" horror stories on them, does that sound accurate?
lifguardct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
KingKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 169
I met a guy at the camp site he had one and he love it.
__________________
Retired Army MGS - 1972-2000
2022 Jayco Precept 36C
2022 Hunyadi Venue (Toad)
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
2Yung2 Quit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 891
We follow this couple on YouTube, and they have had their fair share of issues with the Van Leigh. YMMV
https://youtu.be/-UCK9dqd018
__________________
2021 Ram CrewCab 3500 Cummins, DRW, 4x4, pulling a 2020 Mobile Suites, and loving it! Oh, and I did quit (retire) since I joined the forum.
https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/A...XUTWAWYxlg.jpg
2Yung2 Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 343
Make sure you compare options when decision time comes, a lot of the options on a Beacon are standard on the River Stone line, both brands are very nice, but I feel the River Stone is a better choice. Good Luck and please let us know what you finally end up with.
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifguardct View Post
We are in the market now and have narrowed it to Vanleigh and Grand Design. We seem to hear "less" horror stories on them, does that sound accurate?
I dunno man, I would pass on the Vanleigh. An RV of that price with super basic HVAC issues (which seems very common for them) would irritate the hell out of me. Also, insulation appears to be generally lacking on many units from what I've read. It makes no sense when a 34 to 36' unit needs 3 A/C units to keep a mildly adequate temperature, even if camping in 100F temps. Our 15000BTU roof air keeps our 32' unit fine at 72F or so anytime we want.

You can read a few threads on the A/C issues below.
__________________
2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD gas 6.0 dually
1994 K1500 Suburban shop mule and plow truck
2006 Lakota 29RKT 5th wheel
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanleigh :: 2021 Vanleigh Beacon 42RKB VentureUSA iRV2 Owners Registry 0 01-02-2021 07:12 AM
2021 Vanleigh Vilano 320 GK :: 2021 Vanleigh Vilano 320 GK beerdude iRV2 Owners Registry 0 12-15-2020 05:10 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.