Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2023, 05:30 AM   #1

Vanleigh Roofs

A heads up about Vanleigh Roofs:

I purchased my 2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41 LKB this spring at a nearby consignment shop. The consignment shop had an agreement with a nearby RV repair facility to deliver and repair their RV’s. The RV repair facility delivered my Beacon to my house in Florida, about 50 miles away and also agreed to deliver the Beacon to a lot I own in Michigan later in the summer.

After delivery to my house I noticed a leak in the roof around the skylight after a heavy rain fall. Upon further examination I noticed the skylight was cracked in several places. I had not noticed this when I inspected the unit pre-purchase, however it’s possible I missed this.

I immediately contacted Vanleigh and they said there is a recall on that skylight along with the emergency escape window in the back of the RV. Additionally they had issued a required inspection of the water heater. I contacted the RV repair facility and they agreed to contact Vanleigh and do the repairs and inspection before delivering the unit to Michigan.

The RV repair facility received the skylight and escape window from Vanleigh in a timely manner and preformed the necessary water heater inspection. However upon replacing the skylight the tech noticed that the plywood surrounding the skylight and for about 4 feet around it had de-laminated due to water intrusion because of the cracked skylight. The tech further noticed that the screws holding the flange of the skylight to the roof were counter sunk screws not round head screws. The tech explained the counter sunk screws if over tighten can more likely crack the screw holes in the flange of the skylight due to their wedge shape than the round head screws that should have been used. These cracks will propagate up the window causing even more water intrusion. The tech contacted Vanleigh with his observations and sent pictures. He stated to me that the proper fix is to replace the entire roof. It is however not leaking now but the plywood delamination damage is already done. The tech said they are too busy to repair the roof before I contacted to have the RV delivered to Michigan and suggested I contact Vanleigh for further assistance. The RV repair facility did deliver the RV to Michigan this week.

So here I am about to travel to Michigan and spend the summer in my Beacon with a damaged but not at the moment, leaking roof. I have not contacted Vanleigh yet but as mentioned above they are aware of my situation and have started a file on this. Being the second owner I am concerned they may wash their hands of me except for the fact they knew they had installed an improper skylight (as evidenced by the recall) and installed it improperly per the RV tech.

So anyone have any comments they want to share or have a similar experience?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2023, 06:40 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Sounds like a nightmare and I hope you can get it sorted out. My Beacon 41 FLB was built in August of 2022 and the roof is tight, well sealed and all 3 Fantastic covers are good. I did install Maxxair ll covers on all fans.

There are reported roof issues and the service center in Tishomingo is replacing roofs under warranty.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #3

I’m considering a purchase of a 2022 Beacon 41LKB, sure of the build date or the brand of skylight. Any ideas or thoughts about what to check very carefully before purchasing?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Ralph
Old 06-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #4

I’m not sure of the build date of the RV. Also what to look for with the Emergency Exit window.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:42 PM   #5

I would consider two approaches on this:

1) If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…Minor delam that is not a structural problem AND will not get any worse since it has been properly repaired.

2) Nearly new trailer needs to be restored to factory…..Its nearly a new trailer and you want to make it right. Schedule a time with the factory and deliver it to them to do the work (its not too far out of the way to Michigan). I have done this before. I prioritized the repair timing over the warranty coverage in order to ensure the most expedient outcome. I had to pay out of pocket (much less than the local shops) AND the factory guys put it back to factory condition.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I would consider two approaches on this:

1) If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…Minor delam that is not a structural problem AND will not get any worse since it has been properly repaired.

2) Nearly new trailer needs to be restored to factory…..Its nearly a new trailer and you want to make it right. Schedule a time with the factory and deliver it to them to do the work (its not too far out of the way to Michigan). I have done this before. I prioritized the repair timing over the warranty coverage in order to ensure the most expedient outcome. I had to pay out of pocket (much less than the local shops) AND the factory guys put it back to factory condition.
Problem is as of March 1st, 2023, VanLeigh is out of business. The warranty issues is supposed to be covered by Tiffin. But being second owner, the owner may be facing an uphill fight. Good Luck.
There have been other threads on here about the closure of the company.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:48 PM   #7

while these are newer units
it is SIMPLE caveat emptor folks
it's why I pay $$$ for what I get
currently running 2007 unit(newmar)
still have to perform when needed
fischer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:30 AM   #8

Thanks guys for your replies. I won't know yet what I'm going to do until I contact Vanleigh. As mentioned the tech that replaced the skylight said I need a complete new roof. That sounds a little overboard but I don't know how these roofs are made. He said about 4 ft around the skylight is de-laminated. I would think that is all that would need to be repaired. Right now I don't suspect any structural problems but again I'm not an expert.

I'm going to have a more in-depth discussion with the RV tech that did the repair who is also the guy that delivered the unit to Michigan when he gets back to Florida. Once I know everything he does I'll contact Vanleigh.

My hope is since the skylight was recalled and it caused the delamination that they will step up to the plate and fix this.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:57 PM   #9

You would do well to contact the Tishamingo Tiffin facility and ask for an appointment.

Van Tiffin and his family are running the New Tiffin companies even though they recently sold the business. Bob Tiffin, his son and grandsons are first class individuals and they'll shoot you straight.

Tishamingo is about 150 miles southwest of Nashville--down the Natchez Trace scenic highway.
JoeJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Thanks guys for your replies. I won't know yet what I'm going to do until I contact Vanleigh. As mentioned the tech that replaced the skylight said I need a complete new roof. That sounds a little overboard but I don't know how these roofs are made.
The reason the roof needs to be replaced is the decking is compromised around the skylight and they will have to replace it. I recently spent a bit of time in Redbay and watched several roofs being replaced due to leaky sky lights. You best approach at this point is to contact Tiffin (previous Vanleigh support - Shawn) to see what their approach will be. If your roof needs replaced the Tiffin Service Center are truly experts with the Alpha Systems membrane. They have a bay dedicated to roofing units and it almost always has a Vanleigh in it.

Feel free to PM me as I have a firm understanding of Vanleighs roofs.
r3842id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:22 PM   #11

2nd owners do not get any warranty coverage…. At least that’s what I was told as being some one who bought a Vanleigh beacon
From the 1st owner.. this beacon has been problematic..
I had 2019 beacon that was more put together and I changed to a 2021 for a different floor plan.. when they built this 2021 I think they knew they were closing shop…
Personally I am bailing from the beacon.. just made a deal on a
Drv mobile suites…. Leaps above in everything in my opinion
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:02 AM   #12

I have another brand of fifth wheel, but upon using mine for the first time in a year we found our Icon brand skylight leaking. My wife had numerous surgeries.

The OSB board in the roof has rotted 4x4' and must be replaced. I can replace the defective board and skylight without too much problem. I will be redoing all the seams around vents on the roof and adding a full coat of Silicone to the roof while I'm at it.

My man other problem is the water intrusion in the kitchen and the floor and flooring is going to be cut out and replaced. Some cabinetry will also have to come up.

The moral of the story is climb on the roof and keep a close eye on all seams--and especially skylights. A leak can be very expensive to fix.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof