Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Vent In Stairs

Apologize, but we are relatively new to fifth wheels.

We have a vent in between the first and second stair in the hallway of our 2020 Columbus 378 MB. Looking in it, I can see a lot of duct work and wiring. A LOT of hot air I coming through there. What happens if we block the slats in the vent? Any way to limit how much hot air come through? Any way to diver it somewhere else?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
More than likely this is the intake for the furnace for winter use. You can most likely close it off for summer use. Just unblock it for winter use.

If yo have a lot of hot air like a small breeze, you will need to check for air sources in the under belly and basement. Also, the pinbox area.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

As I understand the OP he said hot air comes thru the vent , and he can see wiring and duct work behind it. I suspect the heat coming thru is the heat to keep the utility area warm . If that is true it wouldn't be a furnace return. OR, maybe there is a duct that got disconnected and the furnace is dumping hot air into the utility area and it's getting forced out thru the vent. OP should dig into the issue and determine the source.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:37 PM   #4

Nice floor plan. I took a look at the 360 camera view on their website. I could not see another furnace intake so it might be. However, I would not expect air to be reverse flowing through it if was a furnace intake. Is their any other grill like that maybe up in the loft? Can you see the back side of that area from storage?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 AM   #5

Ours has this same feature that actually was spotted by the dealer mechanic.
Its didn't have it when we looked at it, then he found out Keystone forgot to add it when they made it.
Its a cold air return, Usually on 5th wheels behind the pass through storage is the furnace, water heater and water pump is, hence all the wires.
Ducting is to the basement,heat always goes into the belly area, no need for heat in this compartment due to the furnace, water heater being in this area.
Sun heating the sides of the unit will create heat in this compartment and since heat rises and your floor is colder, well.
We block ours for the warm months so this doesn't happen. But you still might want to check to see if the ducts are connected right and no air infiltration's from other sources exist.
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
As I understand the OP he said hot air comes thru the vent , and he can see wiring and duct work behind it. I suspect the heat coming thru is the heat to keep the utility area warm . If that is true it wouldn't be a furnace return. OR, maybe there is a duct that got disconnected and the furnace is dumping hot air into the utility area and it's getting forced out thru the vent. OP should dig into the issue and determine the source.

CLIFFORD

Clifford, it isn’t blowing hot air. Also, to clarify, it only happens when it’s hot outside and we are not running our furnace (it’s in the mid to high 80’s here).

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Nice floor plan. I took a look at the 360 camera view on their website. I could not see another furnace intake so it might be. However, I would not expect air to be reverse flowing through it if was a furnace intake. Is their any other grill like that maybe up in the loft? Can you see the back side of that area from storage?

I can see the wall of the storage area at the back of that space.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
Ours has this same feature that actually was spotted by the dealer mechanic.
Its didn't have it when we looked at it, then he found out Keystone forgot to add it when they made it.
Its a cold air return, Usually on 5th wheels behind the pass through storage is the furnace, water heater and water pump is, hence all the wires.
Ducting is to the basement,heat always goes into the belly area, no need for heat in this compartment due to the furnace, water heater being in this area.
Sun heating the sides of the unit will create heat in this compartment and since heat rises and your floor is colder, well.
We block ours for the warm months so this doesn't happen. But you still might want to check to see if the ducts are connected right and no air infiltration's from other sources exist.

Thank you! We’ll plan to block it off for the summer. We will need all the help we can get down here!

What do you block your’s with? I’m just thinking tape behind it?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Just a question - would blocking off this vent be potentially harmful to any electronics due to excess heat build up? If this trailer has a similar set up to ours, I was thinking converter.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Just a question - would blocking off this vent be potentially harmful to any electronics due to excess heat build up? If this trailer has a similar set up to ours, I was thinking converter.

My converter is mounted in the hallway with its own fan.

I can see any actual components, just duct work and wires.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #11

I had a piece of Blue Board. Took the grill off and added Blue Board behind it. We don't use the furnace anymore to heat. Our season at camp I can get away with a oil filled heater.

You could use tape.
But I would possibly suggest buying a roll of Velcro and Velcro a thin piece of wood or something.
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #12

Hi Hambone,,, I now understand your installation , I have something similar , not in the steps but along side in a wall. My louvers are wood with long horizontal slots. Behind the panel is a rat's nest of wires and the side of my propane furnace. My wood panel is attached with the same latches used on my cabinet doors, ya, the plastic ones that break. My bottom step has a central vac port for sweeping dirt into the vac system. My steps were covered with carpeting , I replaced the carpeting with wood treads and kept the carpeting on the risers and sides. Absolutely a great improvement.
Enjoy RV'ing. Keep asking questions

Forgot to mention, ya, good duct tape would seal off the hot air , cheap effective solution.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #13

Vent seal

5 minute fix. Remove vent, cover back with Glad " PressnSeal" replace. Easy on/easy off. Works well also to cover furnace floor vents to keep dirt out all summer.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 AM   #14

First I would want to know what's back there before covering or altering the vent. You SHOULD be able to access the area by removing the basement aft wall. Don't be surprised at the mess you encounter from construction debris, pieces & parts, and a rat's nest of wiring and plumbing. It's a good chance to get a vacuum and clean up after the manufacturer. With the wall off you should be able to see the area under the steps and find if perhaps a ducting became dislodged or something.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, vent