Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Venting Enclosed Battery Box in Closed Compartment

I'm switching from 12v to 6v batteries. I didn't like the individual battery boxes for the two 12v batteries although each box had a 1 3/4" hose going from the enclosed box to a vent in the front side of the RV wall. The box I'm purchasing for the 6v batteries is a single enclosure https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Box...329-HM426.html which says that there are vents allowing the gases to escape the box. But the box sits in the front storage compartment where the batteries and generator go. I believe this is a common design for 5th wheels. There aren't any large holes to connect the hoses to the new box to use the exterior venting. Any suggestions on how I should set this up?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 08:41 PM   #2

Buy a PVC bushing
Cut hole in center of top for that 6V Dual Battery Box
Glue bushing into hole....push it thru opening from bottom of lid
Connect the vent hose to the bushing

Just like your OEM boxes/vents

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

You have to vent it OUTSIDE the trailer

You should already know this but I feel I should state it anyway.

When batteries are being recharged, they generate hydrogen gas that is explosive. You must vent it OUTSIDE the trailer, think of the Hindenburg.

As an engineer for 45 years I found that its the little things that you assume everyone should know that cause the problems
Old 01-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varago View Post
You should already know this but I feel I should state it anyway.

When batteries are being recharged, they generate hydrogen gas that is explosive. You must vent it OUTSIDE the trailer, think of the Hindenburg.

As an engineer for 45 years I found that its the little things that you assume everyone should know that cause the problems

THAT is EXACTLY what the OP is wanting to do.......hence OPs question ".....connect the hoses to the new box to use the exterior venting. Any suggestions on how I should set this up?"
Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #5

battery vent

Took out single 12 volt and installed 2-6 volt in battery boxes.

Made cover and attached vent from old battery box cover.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I'm switching from 12v to 6v batteries. I didn't like the individual battery boxes for the two 12v batteries although each box had a 1 3/4" hose going from the enclosed box to a vent in the front side of the RV wall. The box I'm purchasing for the 6v batteries is a single enclosure https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Box...329-HM426.html which says that there are vents allowing the gases to escape the box. But the box sits in the front storage compartment where the batteries and generator go. I believe this is a common design for 5th wheels. There aren't any large holes to connect the hoses to the new box to use the exterior venting. Any suggestions on how I should set this up?
Good advice posted above.

Vented means it is not sealed, not that is has fittings for a hose. For indoor use, you need a sealed box.

Since you are using flooded cell vented batteries, you need to cut a hole in or near the top of the sealed box for a hose and outside wall vent as well as a drain line hole in the bottom. Of course holes in the RV wall and floor are also required.

The hole cut into the top of the sealed box is to vent lighter than air hydrogen generated when the batteries are charged. The hole in the bottom serves dual purpose of draining acid and allowing fresh air into the bottom to flush hydrogen out the top.

I too had to build my own box for a pair of group 31 batteries.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Good advice posted above.

Vented means it is not sealed, not that is has fittings for a hose. For indoor use, you need a sealed box.

Since you are using flooded cell vented batteries, you need to cut a hole in or near the top of the sealed box for a hose and outside wall vent as well as a drain line hole in the bottom. Of course holes in the RV wall and floor are also required.

The hole cut into the top of the sealed box is to vent lighter than air hydrogen generated when the batteries are charged. The hole in the bottom serves dual purpose of draining acid and allowing fresh air into the bottom to flush hydrogen out the top.

I too had to build my own box for a pair of group 31 batteries.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
I'm going to cut holes in the top and connect the bushings and hoses to vent outside. Fresh air can enter the box through the holes in the side for the wire routing. I've decided I'm not going to cut holes in the bottom. Any spilt acid water will be contained in the bottom of the box. I'll wait and see how much this happens. Not sure what problem it can cause. I believe the hydrogen gas is mostly a by-product of the charging process. Idle acid water in small quantities in the bottom of the box I wouldn't think will produce much gas. If I'm wrong, I can always drill a drain hole in the bottom.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I'm going to cut holes in the top and connect the bushings and hoses to vent outside. Fresh air can enter the box through the holes in the side for the wire routing. I've decided I'm not going to cut holes in the bottom. Any spilt acid water will be contained in the bottom of the box. I'll wait and see how much this happens. Not sure what problem it can cause. I believe the hydrogen gas is mostly a by-product of the charging process. Idle acid water in small quantities in the bottom of the box I wouldn't think will produce much gas. If I'm wrong, I can always drill a drain hole in the bottom.

I use battery acid absorbing mats in our battery boxes.

Inexpensive and easy to cut and install .

Funny thing , now that I've upgraded to a Smart Converter / 4 Stage Battery Charger the batteries aren't over charging and not producing any noticeable gases so the mats are staying dry . Going to keep using the mats.

Nothing wrong with a "Belt and Suspenders" approach to a problem.
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I use battery acid absorbing mats in our battery boxes.

Inexpensive and easy to cut and install .

Funny thing , now that I've upgraded to a Smart Converter / 4 Stage Battery Charger the batteries aren't over charging and not producing any noticeable gases so the mats are staying dry . Going to keep using the mats.

Nothing wrong with a "Belt and Suspenders" approach to a problem.
Nice to know. I'll check into the absorbing mats. I think my Progressive Dynamics PD4500 is a 4 stage charger. Anyway, I installed the box today and 2 new Trojan T-105 6v batteries along with the Trojan watering system to simplify keeping them wet.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
THAT is EXACTLY what the OP is wanting to do.......hence OPs question ".....connect the hoses to the new box to use the exterior venting. Any suggestions on how I should set this up?"
Yes, I might say something like, "as a technical and operations manager for many many years spent managing engineers, I found that they often solve a problem they think exists, not the problem that does exist".

My some what related question: Do fifth wheel front/battery compartments typically have more than one vent hole installed? Most I have looked at only have one. Do larger ones have additional built in vents (for the rare occurrence of installing another separate battery BANK?)
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Yes, I might say something like, "as a technical and operations manager for many many years spent managing engineers, I found that they often solve a problem they think exists, not the problem that does exist".

My some what related question: Do fifth wheel front/battery compartments typically have more than one vent hole installed? Most I have looked at only have one. Do larger ones have additional built in vents (for the rare occurrence of installing another separate battery BANK?)
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but, my front compartment (5th wheel) has two vent hoses going from the battery box to the exterior wall of the compartment
Old 01-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #12

My 5th wheel has 2 batteries......each in separate boxes and with their own vent lines to outside

I have seen some with just 1 large box/2 batteries and 1 vent line to outside

I have seen 1 battery/1 box/1 vent line

All depends on number of batteries/location if batteries and if 1 or 2 boxes
Old 02-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I had two separate boxes with two hoses, but I replaced them with a single box. I had to install two bushings in the top to connect the two hoses. One box, two vent holes, two vent hoses.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

We have 2 batteries that "y" connect and exit out a single vent.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, vent