Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #1

Vortex in truck bed - bye bye wheel chocks

I was towing a 5th wheel at 68mph on the freeway and had two wheel chocks get sucked out of the truck bed. These wheel chocks were medium heavy and I would have never guessed they would get sucked out of the truck bed. They were the bigger sized yellow wheel chocks.

Makes me think that a bed camera could have shown me what was going on with items in the truck bed.

Yep, I usually carry the wheel chocks in the bed of the truck but not any longer....ugh.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

Lost a few items myself.
Nothing that heavy though.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #3

I lost a 20' section of waste water hose. After leaving the dump station and not having fresh water to flush the 3" hose I didnt put it back in the basement , just tossed it in the bed of the truck.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #4

I would not have thought that a 20' section of 3" hose would get sucked out of the bed of the truck. That is as bad as my big plastic wheel chocks. I lost 2 on one trip. I saw a yellow streak in my rearview mirror then in another 50 miles I saw #2 fly out of the bed.

But to suck out 20' of 3" drainage hose??? Must have been a super vortex.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #5

I only carry really heavy stuff in the back now.

A few years ago I had a tow strap in the bed. The end of it got sucked between the cab and bed of the truck, the end got wrapped around my drive shaft. The metal end of the strap came up and hit my cab and back window breaking it out. It made quite the noise......
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

I am always shocked at what people just throw back there. I assume whatever I put back there is coming out unless I fasten it.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

I had a heavy rubber door mat that I normally store inside, but last year moving to a new location, it was dirty and wet so I dropped it in the truck bed and when we got to the next stop, it was gone. I was very surprised at that.
JK
Old 10-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #8

What has amazed me over the years is the things that WON'T blow out of the back of a pickup!
I worked for the Highway Department in my home state for several years. One of the ultra fun jobs was picking up trash off the right of way. RV sewer hoses was a regular item to find....and usually not in one piece, usually unravelled and 100' long! Also, it seems like we would pick up an RV awning about every 6 months. Recliners, an actual complete pickup tailgate, trailer ramps...this list goes on.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #9

I put an empty 5-gallon bucket in my truck bed after loading some cattle. Forgot it was in there and when I got to highway speed it sounded like the trailer was coming apart with the bucket bouncing between the truck and the bottom of my aluminum gooseneck trailer.

Also helped my grandma bring some flower bulbs home from a neighbor’s laying on a sheet of newspaper in the back of Dad’s truck. Put the bulbs in a bucket in her garage and headed home with the tailgate down. Newspaper stayed in place until I slowed to turn off the highway almost 17 miles later.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

One of the reasons I went to a flow thru tail gate. Was freaking me out catching glimpse of stuff floating up to the fifth then down again. Haven't lost anything since the louvered tailgate.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 AM   #11

Ive had one 10 ft sewer hose sucked out, pop cans are always getting sucked out, and ive seen a ton of coveralls sucked out when were moving trailers at work. I run the sewer hose around the hitch and connect it all to itself now and i try not to leave trash in the bed, but, sometimes ill miss something or someone will sneak the trash into the bed to drop off at the dumpster and never mention it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #12

Agree, if you get something in the right spot of the bed it will stay put. But the wrong area...or it vibrates to the wrong area out it goes. Depends on that darn vortex.

The only 2 things I have lost out of the truck bed is the 2 big yellow heavy plastic wheel chocks and a lid off of a tote that must of come un-snapped. I saw all three items go bye bye. I never considered going back because I was towing.

I never lost a wooded pad I use to put under the landing gear. Those 12"×12"×1.5" pads must be too heavy...or I was not going fast enough...
Old 10-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #13

Loose stuff in the bed with a 5th wheel can be dangerous. As Nwcid posted above, I have read horror stories on this.

I remember a fellow shop owner getting a tow in. A bungie cord and tow straps were loose in the truck bed and got sucked in the void between the cab and bed. As in Nwcid's experience it got wrapped around the driveshaft but destroyed a wiring harness, shredded the plastic fuel tank and something like 4k to 5k worth of damage.

I've also read about the rear window getting blown out.

I keep two 6"x6" pieces of lumber for the landing gear near the louvered gate, but even they move back a wee bit.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
IC2

It all depends on the 5ers nose shape and where the king pin box is on the RV. Our current Montana wont 'levitate' anything in the truck bed. The last one, a Glendale Titanium with a very aero nose and bedroom overhang would levitate about anything under 10 pounds. Way back, the Newmar Kountry Aire would just bounce thing around a bit.

It's all part the learning curve of RV life with a 5th wheel
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote