Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Warranty Companies

Hello All,

Have any of you ever used a warranty company? What do you think about them. I am in the process of buying a new to me fifth wheel and think I would like to buy a warranty. What are the pros and cons?
ddozier234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #2

Following
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
JDT

My only experience was with a Route 66 policy for a diesel motorhome. The first claim was rather small and they paid up. My second claim was for replacement of the microwave oven. I would have had to pay to have it shipped halfway across the country to a repair center and pay return shipping. It was cheaper to buy a new one. The fine print has a lot of protections for the company built in to it, not you. Some swear by them, some don't. I'm in the don't category.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #4

We have purchased two Cornerstone policies on our last two fivers. I believe we paid about 3k for three years of coverage most recently. That was for their “premium” protection and includes audio/video, plumbing, tanks, appliances, ect.

It does not cover any roof, structural, or fabric issues. It does cover basically anything mechanical or electronic including suspension but not brakes.

We use our coach quite a bit. So things break quite a bit as well. For us, it has been invaluable. We have had over $5000 of repairs covered after our $200 deductibles in just over a year. Zero issues getting work done and our servicing dealer says they love dealing with Cornerstone.

It is important to have a dealer that knows how to work with them. How they present the claim is important. For example, a dealer submits a claim for some outdoor speakers that the cones have deteriorated prematurely. A claim submitted for “speakers rotted” will not be covered as it is considered “wear”. Speakers submitted as “Broken” or “blown” will be covered. Details are important.

We pay a $200 deductible for repairs. That’s per visit so when possible we stack issues. 5 items fixed in one visit equals one deductible.

Cornerstone has covered leaky drain valves, a leaking fresh water tank, hydraulic rams, our Schwintek slide motors and controller, AC unit, 43 inch TV, converter, transfer switch, generator fuel pump, and several other items. These are the same products used across all RV brands and they all have a likelihood to fail. Even though our lightly used purchase appeared to be well taken care of some of these issues were from the prior owners misuse or lack of maintenance (the transfer switch was burnt up from “hot” switching).

We would absolutely purchase a warranty again. I believe towables can have more issues than quality motorhomes. But if your trailer will sit most of the year and get used rarely it may not be as good of an investment
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddozier234 View Post
Hello All,

Have any of you ever used a warranty company? What do you think about them. I am in the process of buying a new to me fifth wheel and think I would like to buy a warranty. What are the pros and cons?
I had route 66 on my last rig but never used it so when I bought my new rig I opted not to purhase the warranty at this point but may change my mind as I get closer to my factory warranty being done. Wholesale Warranties is who I would choose if I move forward with it.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #6

Its not really a warrantee, its an insurance policy.

They are betting you don't use it and your betting that you will.

If you can't afford a major breakdown, like drive train failure, it may make sense.

I wouldn't gamble on the small stuff, instead keep a few thousand in a rainy day fund.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #7

...what Twin boat said…..tons of reading on this forum about this issue--few if any conclusions.....if buying an "insurance policy" will make you feel better--then go for it!!!!!.....the E/W company is betting against you--and they have probably been at the "fine print" game longer than you have....if you are a DIYer, "self-insurance" in a rainy-day fund might be a better "bet!"....good news with a 5-er is no drive train issues--this is often where the big $$$$$/fine print challenges can/will get you.....good luck with your decision.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

It mainly depends on what type of person you are and how mechanically inclined you are.
I for one would never file a claim or take my rig to a dealer or any repair shop for "Blown speakers". Not many would.
I do go farther than that though as I can not find a reason I would go to a repair shop for anything. Even if my rig would require structural welding. I will do that myself. Brake replacement, axle replacement, refer, furnace, electrical, There is nothing I would take it to an rv dealer for.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
It mainly depends on what type of person you are and how mechanically inclined you are.
I for one would never file a claim or take my rig to a dealer or any repair shop for "Blown speakers". Not many would.
I do go farther than that though as I can not find a reason I would go to a repair shop for anything. Even if my rig would require structural welding. I will do that myself. Brake replacement, axle replacement, refer, furnace, electrical, There is nothing I would take it to an rv dealer for.
X2....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #10

twinboat is RIGHT :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its not really a warrantee, its an insurance policy.

They are betting you don't use it and your betting that you will.

If you can't afford a major breakdown, like drive train failure, it may make sense.

I wouldn't gamble on the small stuff, instead keep a few thousand in a rainy day fund.
I work with the idea that the average person pays more into it then they get out of it, its the way it works. They have to make money.

So like twinboat said take the same money you would pay each month or year and put in a savings account. The odds are you will come out ahead and if you have no problems you have a nice nestegg to use how ever you want.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #11

By far the best company out there is Wholesale Warranties. We purchased a four year 48000 mile warranty, policy, whatever you choose to call it on a nine year old Country Coach we purchased. It cost $4400.00 and was exclusionary which spells out what is NOT covered. In three years they paid out just under $18000.00, which is why I now own towables. Didn't have to fight them on anything. All that said, I didn't buy one for the new fifth wheel we purchased. On a motorcoach it makes sense, not so much on a fifth wheel.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddozier234 View Post
Hello All,

Since it sounds like you're buying used, it =might= make sense.

Most extended warranties purchased through a dealer, =start= the day you buy a new rig and run concurrent with the factory warranty and most dealers/sellers downplay this, or "forget" to mention it. So, you get a rig like Jayco or KZ, with a 2-year factory warranty, and you buy a 3-year extended warranty, you only end up with an extra year's coverage. Frankly, on other fora that I read, the general opinion is that you take that $3-4k and bank it and use that as your repair fund instead of dealing with insurance companies, which is what these really are, =and= paying deductibles on top.

Lyle

Tags
warranty