RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #1

Warranty Work at the Factory-HELP

Good morning. I will try to make this as brief as possible, but was hoping for some insight or experience from some of you.

We have a 2020 Palomino Columbus. The unit has a water leak somewhere that I nor the dealer have been able to identify the source. Forest River has offered to complete the warranty work at the factory. Below are my questions and concerns.

1. The water has gotten in between the linoleum and sub floor all over the trailer. If they replace all flooring and sub floor, isnít the possibility for mold still there?

2. How long does the factory normally take to complete major repairs?

3. What recourse, other than to go with the flow, do I have? We are in the unit 6-10 months a year (I am military) and need the camper back as soon as possible. While they pay for a loaner or for temporary housing?

4. Is it possible they will open the unit up and decide to put us in a new one? How much damage would have to be done for that to happen?

5. We are at the end of our warranty period (expires in November). Will Forest River grant is a warranty on these repairs?

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. We love our camper, but are quickly losing confidence in it. The dealership asked if we would want to trade, but Iím not in the business of accepting tremendous negative equity due to a problem that should have never been a problem.

Thank you all in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #2

I'd call them with your concerns....
Old 09-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #3

So I spoke with them. Their original date to get us in was February (not going to work for us). She worked with her manager and the unit will be getting worked on in October.

Does anyone have experience with work being completed at the factory? Good repairs? Recurring issues?

I am hopeful they are able to quickly find where the water is coming in and that the damage isnít too significant. Shipping the family off and crashing on a couch for the last two weeks hasnít been fun, but itís looking like another 4-5 weeks of that...
Old 09-23-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

I can't speak for Palomino trailers but I can say those that have dealt with Forest River Cedar Creek division have had great experience working with them. In fact the Cedar Creek division has authorized a local Amish repair company in IN. to preform warranty work for them.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I can't speak for Palomino trailers but I can say those that have dealt with Forest River Cedar Creek division have had great experience working with them. In fact the Cedar Creek division has authorized a local Amish repair company in IN. to preform warranty work for them.

Thanks for that. Iím hopeful for a timely repair that is done right, and most importantly that they thoroughly investigate all of the sub floor and repair everything.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #6

you understand that on most trailers the floor is laid down and than the walls are built on top of the walls.... if you have damage at the walls with water in the floor, there is a good chance that the water has soaked under the walls..... if so I would think that the trailer at this point is a total loss.... can you imagine that water damage where the wall meets the floor means that the walls are no longer correctly secured to the floor...

Like a semi trailer... part of the strength of a trailer is the strength of the box.... the floor, walls, and roof... that box adds lots to the rigidity of the unit.... failure at the wall/floor connection would worry me....

I would contact your insurance company even though the unit is under warranty.... they might a provision to provide other housing while the repair takes place....

I'd guess.... 3 to 4 weeks at the factory for this major work, regardless of what they say...
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
you understand that on most trailers the floor is laid down and than the walls are built on top of the walls.... if you have damage at the walls with water in the floor, there is a good chance that the water has soaked under the walls..... if so I would think that the trailer at this point is a total loss.... can you imagine that water damage where the wall meets the floor means that the walls are no longer correctly secured to the floor...

Like a semi trailer... part of the strength of a trailer is the strength of the box.... the floor, walls, and roof... that box adds lots to the rigidity of the unit.... failure at the wall/floor connection would worry me....

I would contact your insurance company even though the unit is under warranty.... they might a provision to provide other housing while the repair takes place....

I'd guess.... 3 to 4 weeks at the factory for this major work, regardless of what they say...

The wall supports are metal, as well as the frame support. We havenít seen any long lasting effects on the walls, even looking underneath the stairs. The way the water came in, it never flooded or stood. It would run the trailer and found an inlet underneath the linoleum flooring, getting trapped in between the flooring and subfloor.

I was hoping for a week to get there and be diagnosed, 2 weeks worth of fixes and a week back. We live in it, so definitely need it back. When I spoke with them, they didnít give any estimate, stating they needed to get it there first.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
We had friends that were recommended to this shop for repair on their Columbus, they said that this shop is like the one for Cedar Creek, the owner might have come from the Columbus line.

https://allegiantrv.com/
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We had friends that were recommended to this shop for repair on their Columbus, they said that this shop is like the one for Cedar Creek, the owner might have come from the Columbus line.

https://allegiantrv.com/

Unfortunately, they arenít giving me a choice of shop up there. The factory said they want it back.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

My experience was also at Forest River Cedar Creek in 2015. They picked up my rv in Texas, did the work in their factory. I picked the unit up so I could inspect the work. They would have brought it back to Texas if I asked.
My rv had a broken frame in the pin box area, looked very serious to me. They removed the front cap, had Libert repair the frame. They then replace every thing and made it all look like new. They even installed a new Trail Air pin box for no charge.
Once they actually started work I think it only took 2 - 3 days.
They would use one of the local transport companies that deliver rv all over the country to pick your unit up and bring it back. I worked for one of those companies for a while and we normally covered 500 - 600 mile a day when moving a rv.
I hope all goes well for you.Thank you for your service in the military.
Tex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex50 View Post
My experience was also at Forest River Cedar Creek in 2015. They picked up my rv in Texas, did the work in their factory. I picked the unit up so I could inspect the work. They would have brought it back to Texas if I asked.
My rv had a broken frame in the pin box area, looked very serious to me. They removed the front cap, had Libert repair the frame. They then replace every thing and made it all look like new. They even installed a new Trail Air pin box for no charge.
Once they actually started work I think it only took 2 - 3 days.
They would use one of the local transport companies that deliver rv all over the country to pick your unit up and bring it back. I worked for one of those companies for a while and we normally covered 500 - 600 mile a day when moving a rv.
I hope all goes well for you.Thank you for your service in the military.

Thanks for this. These positive experiences give me hope that they will do right and fix everything fully and the correct way.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Unfortunately, they arenít giving me a choice of shop up there. The factory said they want it back.
You will be better off having the factory repair
Old 09-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
You will be better off having the factory repair
I would agree, just letting you know there are other options but hey if the factory will fix it let them, good luck and let us know how it ends up.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #14

So I was able to see some of the damage this afternoon (I started to pack up). Itís bad, with a lot of mold already forming in insulation under the subfloor and in the insulation.

My wants have changed in light of this. I donít want to be in an environment with mold and I certainly donít want my 3 year old in it.

I am going to propose that they either put me in a new unit or buy it back. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Do I have any chance of success with either of those proposals? Should I already be talking to a lawyer?

We bought a new, higher end unit and expected a new unit, not a refurbished one. I donít see how they can guarantee no mold in a repair like this. Sub floor has water damage all the way through.

Thanks in advance.

Tags
warranty