Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Was the residential fridge a mistake?

A friend bought a 2019 Grand Design Solitude 375 RES. He got it with the residential all electric fridge. He thought he could keep his fridge on all the time while he is driving on a long trip because he has batteries. But...he only has 2 batteries. He has a 6500 Onan Generator. He does not have autogen start to automatically keep the batteries charged if they get too low. He doesn't know where his inverter is. (Where is it?) I told him that without autogen start, his batteries will run down and be ruined (and his food will go bad) unless he runs his generator most of the time. How long will 2 batteries run a residential fridge before they go bad if he's not plugged in or running his generator? Can he add 2 or 4 more batteries in the series and can he add an autogen start? Or should he trade in the residential fridge for a propane/electric? I believe that without 4 to 6 batteries and an autogen start, the residential fridge was a mistake. Thoughts?
ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

He should be fine, the truck pulling the Grand Design will keep the batteries charged. Don't leave the inverter on and plugged into truck and go into Walmart for a few hours. The truck Batteries may be dead.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #3

Setup properly, the truck will maintain the batteries while driving and disconnect the " charge line " when the engine is shut off.

If the charge line is directly connected to the battery, a simple 40 amp relay, controlled by the key fixs that.

The fridge is only going to draw 10 to 20 amps, while its running, and the only run about 1/3 of the time. Well under what the charge line can supply.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
What about when boondocking? Without an autogen start, how will he know when he needs to start his generator to recharge his 2 batteries? Don't want him to let them run down but don't want to run the generator all the time.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

I have a Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R with the residential fridge. I can easily drive 10 hours with the fridge on and the batteries (I have 2) are fine when I arrive at my destination.

If your friend wants to boondocks with a residential fridge, I would recommend that he get a battery monitor like the Victron BMV-712 so he can accurately monitor his batteries and know when to start his generator.
bertschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Plenty of reasonable options for boondocking with a residential fridge. As already recommended, a battery monitor that will let him know when he needs to run the generator. Also, replace the OEM batteries (my dealer installed two Interstate deep cycle 12V batteries) with two (or even 4) good 6V golf car batteries wired in series (each pair). Another option is to add one or two 100 watt solar panels and a solar controller to keep the batteries maintained.

The inverter is behind a removable panel in the basement pass thru storage in my Solitude. It is a 1000 watt true sine wave unit. There is a small panel with an on/off button in the galley area.

You could not give me another LP/electric RV fridge after having a residential fridge in our last three RV's.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

You sound like you desperately want us to back you up on this (confirmation bias) when actually it's really no big deal....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
He says he doesn’t even know if he has an inverter and may need to have one installed. Does it not come standard with the Solitude? I can’t imagine a dealer giving him a residential fridge and two batteries and no inverter.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #9

He already has an inverter. The residential fridge needs 120V AC current to run and that's supplied by the inverter. He couldn't run the fridge directly off his batteries.
DJ55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How dues one know when the generatir needs to be run? Monitor battery voltage. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1550645345227.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	253170
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Setup properly, the truck will maintain the batteries while driving and disconnect the " charge line " when the engine is shut off.

If the charge line is directly connected to the battery, a simple 40 amp relay, controlled by the key fixs that.

The fridge is only going to draw 10 to 20 amps, while its running, and the only run about 1/3 of the time. Well under what the charge line can supply.
My Samsung double door residential refrigerator only draws 2 amps. I can hardly believe it myself but according to a Spartan SP-PM 120 power meter left on for 12 hours that's the average.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #12
JDT

I am not familiar with the Solitude but does it automatically switch between the shore and inverter power? Mine has a transfer switch that changes to inverter when I unplug from shore power and vice versa. I assume he has checked to be sure it is working when not on shore power.

We have traveled all day long without any issues with our Samsung fridge. We have 2 6 volt batteries that do the work. It draws very little power, especially it you don't open it up much. We don't boondock so no comments there. I have been down the Norcold road and never again.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #13

I don't think the tow vehicle will typically keep the RV batteries charged unless you specifically wire that way.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I don't think the tow vehicle will typically keep the RV batteries charged unless you specifically wire that way.
Most trucks have a hot charge line in the seven pin plug. The trailer should be wired so that the charge line from the truck ill keep the battery in the trailer charged.

If he is seriously intending to boondock, he will need about 6 or more 6 volt batteries and 6 or more solar panels. He will also at times need to run a generator to keep the battery charge up.

I would suggest this person get a person familiar with solar systems to evaluate the the RV and instruct him on the proper use of the battery system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge