Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #1

Washer Dryer

Are the stackable washer dryer's worth it? I can't see spending any amount of time in public laundries just waiting around with a pile of quarters.
I realize they are small load units. But I've even heard that some camp grounds don't allow them because of the large water draw.
Right now we have our sites on the Reflections 337RLS vs the 303RLS just because the 337 has the W/D option. Thx.
Silv34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

I had a stackable washer dryer in the 5th wheel I sold. Yes, they are worth it. I used the dryer to dry damp towels after using the RV Parks swimming pool. Also used the dryer if I got caught in the rain to dry clothes. This RV Park had 3 small laundry buildings that I could have used but the easy use of the stackables was better.

I used this 5th wheel to snowbird in. So I was in Florida thru out the winter. There were some chilly days but more nice days when I could wear shorts and a tee shirt. Shorts and tee shirts and underware are easier to fit into the washer than jeans and sweatshirts.

The down side was the washer would vibrate the 5th wheel when on the spin cycle and the dryer with drier balls would make noise.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #3

Stackables are definitely worth having. Ours runs nearly everyday. We are full time and the convenience is great. You may have to change your normal way of doing things, like wash more often and smaller loads but who cares. You are in your own house on your own time. The dryer rocking the house a bit is not real noticeable if you have good jacks.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

There is a difference. Stacked pairs allow you to wash and dry at the same time. The downside they require you to be around to move wet clothes. Combo units allow you to start a load and come back 3 hours later to clean dry clothes. When we were camp hosting we could start a load, go work in the park. Come back for lunch to clean dry clothes. Have lunch, start another load and go back out to work in the park. We just found the combo more convenient for us.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
JDT

Ditto on the combined models. We have room for a stack but the wife likes to hang dry most of her clothes. The area above the washer has a clothes rod she uses to hang her wet stuff. Works very well. I've never been to an rv park that said anything about restrictions for using them.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #6

We have a GE. Spacemaker dryer on top. Ariston, washer on the bottom. Both 4 years old. Not a issue with either one. They both work fantastic. Spendy yes. Found both at Home Depot.
Name:   PB_1491603614106.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  3.7 KB
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I've never been to an rv park that said anything about restrictions for using them.

x2. Also chose the vented combo because wanted to keep the extra storage space. Would rather have stackables if space wasn't an issue, but hey, it is.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a Splindide 2100XC for about 9 years and full time for over 6 years. The combo does a great job. You have to read the instruction manual and follow it. I did not want to waste the space or weight for a stackable.

The biggest problem with the combo units is people do not read the manuals and follow the instructions. They expect them to perform like a full sized home unit.

Yes, the loads are smaller, but we can load it with dry and dirty clothes, go off for some sight seeing and come back to dry and CLEAN clothes. On a laundry day, we can do 5 loads easily in a day. Sure beats sitting in a grungy laundry room.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Have a Splindide 2100XC for about 9 years and full time for over 6 years. The combo does a great job. You have to read the instruction manual and follow it. I did not want to waste the space or weight for a stackable.

The biggest problem with the combo units is people do not read the manuals and follow the instructions. They expect them to perform like a full sized home unit.

Yes, the loads are smaller, but we can load it with dry and dirty clothes, go off for some sight seeing and come back to dry and CLEAN clothes. On a laundry day, we can do 5 loads easily in a day. Sure beats sitting in a grungy laundry room.

Ken
Never knew there was a single combo unit. Definitely going on the list. Thx.
Silv34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #10

Whatever you decide to use make sure it is vented outside.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never again, NO washer/dryer.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #12

samsung front load and whirlpool dryer. work great wouldnt be without them. can do decent sized loads and dry them.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Another vote for onward W/D. Had stacked units in last RV, have combo in this one. Would prefer the stacked for convenience/speed (can do 2 things at once) but it's a space trade-off. And - absolutely get a vented dryer.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #14

If you have room for the stackable That is what I would definitely get. I have replaced both of ours over the 10 years we have been full timing (they do not wear out at the same time). And to address the argument that the space is needed for storage my wife will look you in the eye and tell you if you need it for storage 'you have to much crap'