Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Washer dryer shaking

Was wondering if any one can suggest slowing the RV shakes when washing drying? Have a 5th wheel and I have big foot I though about getting stabilizers for front legs.
Any one think this would help?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don, it all depends on how well balanced the load is. One thing you can do is to stop the machine and move the load around a bit and see if it helps. Problem is there will generally be a certain amount of shake when spinning.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
X2 on balance and shakes on spin. Always comes down to this - will wash more than capable of drying - so most loads are overloaded at spin and dry. So first tip is start with a smaller load.

Second tip - use recommended fabric softener. Without it, things tend to cling and clump together. The fabric softener allows them to separate and not be thrown around the tub like size 14 tennis shoes.

As stated - you can pull and readjust items - but this must be done routinely. Get the load size right first - smaller than you think - and use the liquid fabric softener. You will eventually get used to the load size - time etc and the shake on spin and dry won't bother you.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #4

Have you tried running the washer without a load? Maybe the drum itself is unbalanced. We cannot feel ours except at the initial spin-dry start.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Don, I am thinking here this subject is based on what the washer is sitting on, Maybe a 3/4" piece of plywood under the feet would help(glued and fastened to the flooring). Think of this, first floor washing machine, can hear it and feel it running put it in the basement on concrete and run it.......I am not sure how Newmar mounted my Kenmore or what kind of flooring under it, but you can't even tell its running, even in the spin cycle, very quite.
Just a thought......
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wingnut60
I'll try that!
See what it does.
Thanks every one..
Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Some front load type machines have a large cement block in the machine for counter balance. These are prone to fracture causing excessive shacking. Not saying this is it but something to eliminate as a possibility.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

If your machine is a front-loader combination washer/dryer, then it will shake. We bought a Eurotech machine for the sticks & bricks a few years ago. The Splendide is essentially the same machine.

It shook so bad that pictures on the wall of the bedroom next to the laundry room fell off the wall and wallboard nails popped out. I was planning to build a shock-absorber platform for it, but decided to trade it back to the appliance store for a conventional washer/drier pair.

My platform would have been two sheets of 3/4" plywood, the size of the machine's base, with 2" long coil springs between them, attached to both sheets. The lower sheet would have been fastened to the floor, the machine bolted to the upper one. The intention was to let the machine bounce around on the springs without transferring its vibrations to the floor.

I don't know if it would have worked like I expected, since it never got tried out.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
Some front load type machines have a large cement block in the machine for counter balance. These are prone to fracture causing excessive shacking. Not saying this is it but something to eliminate as a possibility.
No wonder my washer weighs a ton!!
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
JDT

We had a Splendide in our motorhome and it shook. We have one in our Excel and it shakes. I finally decided it was a cheap way to get a massage while sitting in my recliner.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shaking is a complaint many RV owners complain about. There are a couple of things one can do to minimize. I got some 1/2 inch thick rubber and cut it into 4 pads about 4 inch by 4 inch. Place one under each foot of the machine. you can stop by most any industrial distributor and ask for a couple of pieces of scrap rubber. don't get the red rubber as it will just fall apart from the vibration. #2. Put a board across the top of the machine to hold it in place. These two fixes have worked for me. Safe travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I called Splendide and did what they suggested, make sure machine was level and lighter loads. After making sure it was really close to being level it was actually worse.
So thanks for every ones help..
Don
Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #13

I used JT Strongarms to brace the front legs, eliminating most of the shaking. They also keep the trailer from shaking when we get "frisky" !!
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have stacked Whirlpools that sit on a rubber mat. Every once in a while if we are washing heavy towels or jeans and the washer gets out of balance on the spin cycle you can feel it. It gets amplified by the air suspension. You haven't lived until you've been sitting on the loo (right next door) when this occurs.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote