Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Washer vibrates 5er when in the spin cycle

Is there anyway to reduce the overall vibration? We have the 6 point leveling system. I am thinking I raise the 5er a bit more off the axles. Right now the 5er is at the lowest level position. Meaning I unhooked the 5er, moved the truck, and hit level. It takes 45 seconds or so and the 5er is level.

I am thinking if I raise it 2 more inches that may stabilize the unit. I do not use a hitch pin tripod support - at least not yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
JDT

If you have the Splendide combo you may have to live with it. We had one in our diesel motorhome and now in our Excel and they both shook pretty good on the spin cycle. I finally decided to just sit in the recliner and enjoy the message. Seriously not sure anything you can do. We have pretty much learned to ignore it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Splendid combo here - shakes the coach pretty good.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

Oh Splendide, not so splendid.

They elevated the unit in my fifth so that they could do all the plumbing, hot cold and overflow, under the unit behind that louvered, removable panel.
The unit sat on a piece of particle board, which in turn set on top of 3/4 x 1 luan strips stapled to the 1/4 inch plywood walls on the cabinet, idiots!
200 pounds machine, whacking around, supported by 1/4 inch wall. Everything was shaking.
Oh, they also had this cheap plastic tub under it for overflow, all cracked and broken.
Ripped out the "supporting structure?" and started all over.

Started with "real" half inch plywood. Glued and screwed to it supporting and stiffening perimeter fence. Fiberglassed the whole thing, so now it was strong, stiff and waterproff (no need for overflow tub).

On the bottom glued and screwed couple more stiffening ribs. Supported the whole pan off the floor with short pieces of 2 x 4s in the corners of the cabinet. Now the shaking is transferred into the floor instead of into 1/4 inch walls. Life is lot more "splendid" now when the machine goes into the spin cycle.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #5

We get our landing gear set / level and then run "All Up" to lift some of the weight off the springs and the shake from the W/D is minimal
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

Rib_Fla - thanks, that is what I am thinking. It will be a few weeks before I can try it.

I will let everyone know how it works for me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 6-point leveling system is basically setting the RV up on stilts. A system to cross brace the levelers will hep, both side to side and front to rear. I don't know if the JT Strongarm system will work on the hydraulic levelers. They do help on the regular leveling system.
JT's Strong Arms Fifth Wheel and Travel Trailer stabilizers from tweetys.com

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So what good would it do to raise the trailer two more inches? The weight of the trailer is still on the levelers.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
2" more will make the trailer box set taller and be more prone to shaking. The braces make a triangle at the legs and this is a basic structural member used to stiffen all sorts of structures.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #10

Once we get more weight on the leveling system and less weight on the axle springs the 5er gets more solid.
We do not have a hydraulic leveling system, we have the Reico Titan Electric system.
I level the 5er front to rear, then side to side then run all 4 legs up 1 to 2 inches.
I then lower there original rear levelers (the Reico Titan rear legs are next to the rear axle), we are very solid.
We also have the "Plug it Right" Stabilizer's on the front landing legs.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
YC1

If you can tie the top of the washer to the sides of a cabinet or the back to a rear cabinet it will reduce the shaking a lot. Ours is in a cabinet and I placed a 3/4 inch by 12 inch board across the top with some anti skid material between. Installing some boards along the edge so the board looks like a book shelf but the supports are on the top edge holds the board down tight onto the top of the washer that was previously only screwed to the floor on the front.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #12

We got a combo w/d for the sticks & bricks a few years ago. It was called a "Eurotech" and looks a lot like the Splendide. It shook the laundry-room floor so badly that pictures fell off the wall in the adjacent bedroom and sheet-rock nails were shaken loose.

We gave up on it in the end and went with a conventional Whirlpool pair. I was thinking, before we got rid of it, of making a support base (3/4" plywood mounted on springs and friction shock absorbers) to isolate the vibrations from the house. There's nothing you can do to stop it vibrating, as the wet clothes are all at the bottom of the tub when the spin cycle starts, giving the tub a major out-of-balance load.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A quick and cheap cure is very easy. Go to your nearest Industrial Distributor or one of the mail order places. Ask for some 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick gasket material. Do not get Red Rubber material aS IT WILL NOT HOLD UP. preferable NEOPREME with or without cloth or wire material.They usually have bits and scraps from cutting gaskets for flanges. get 4 pieces at least 2 inches each in diameter, doesn't matter if round or square. Here is the hard part. You set one piece of this material under each foot of the washer. it is just enough to absorb the vibration. I tried it first with pieces cut from old truck mud flaps, it worked but not as well as the thicker rubber material.
safe travels....ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #14

Tractor Supply sells the 1/2 inch stuff in good size sheets, for lining up horse stalls. If it's good enough for horses it should be good enough for Splendide.
Building up a solid base is what my needed, but this machine has been a pain in the *** from the get go. I fixed it twice, my RV tech fixed it once, he refuses to work on them. He mumbles something about Italian engineers and Italian production workers.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote