Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Water Heater on Fire!

My son had our trailer this weekend and the second night his neighbor came over and told him he should turn off his gas as the water heater was blazing up the side of the trailer. He shut it down and when he got it back home I checked it out, expecting something in the heat tube, but found nothing and it ran fine all day. Any one have any ideas what could cause that? I have had flame back out at the burner, but this fire was out the exhaust and up the side of the trailer.

TIA!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	66156  
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine looked just like that back from a trip a couple of years ago.

The burner tube/air adjustment needed adjusting and needed all the cruddy stuff cleaned out and serviced.

Whem2Fish serviced it and no more soot/smoke!!

I can't imagine what would have caused yours, but something is sure not right. Sorry I can't help more...
Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

It's soot from unburned propane; too little air. It needs a proper cleaning.

Could have been some nest in the exhaust too.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

Check your water heater manual. It should describe the color of a correct flame. The burner tube has a feature that allows the amount of air to be adjusted and this should correct your "rich" mixture.

Or, if like mine, your water heater doesn't have an adjustable burner tube, buying a new tube, with a new gas orifice, should solve your problem. It did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
My son had our trailer this weekend and the second night his neighbor came over and told him he should turn off his gas as the water heater was blazing up the side of the trailer. He shut it down and when he got it back home I checked it out, expecting something in the heat tube, but found nothing and it ran fine all day. Any one have any ideas what could cause that? I have had flame back out at the burner, but this fire was out the exhaust and up the side of the trailer.

TIA!

Tim
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #5

Don't all of them have that diode that cuts gas off if the diode gets too hot (fire)?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Don't all of them have that diode that cuts gas off if the diode gets too hot (fire)?
I don't know about a "diode" but an orange SOOTY LP flame is NOT as hot as a properly operating LP flame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
My son had our trailer this weekend and the second night his neighbor came over and told him he should turn off his gas as the water heater was blazing up the side of the trailer. He shut it down and when he got it back home I checked it out, expecting something in the heat tube, but found nothing and it ran fine all day. Any one have any ideas what could cause that?
Tim
Tim
See: The RV Doctor: Sooty Sidewall
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Atwood's do, but it may not have been hot enough.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies! I took the burner assembly off and blew out the heat exchanger with a compressor...nothing in there except soot. Took the orifice off and was gonna clean it but it was fine...put it all back together and adjusted the flame and it ran fine. I shut the door of the water heater and shortly after the roar of the flame changed, like it was running too lean. Got it as best as I could and it has been running all day and all night - no more soot.

Oh - the 'diode' is really a thermal switch, just a fuse that melts when it gets hot. Mine went on one of the first trips I took with the rig and I bought 5 for about 5 bux and now have spares. Seems like if this thing is blowing the over-heat devices and sooting, something is amiss! Just finding what it is can be tough!

Tim
Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Mine did that. A spider set up housekeeping in the burner tube. Glad it was an easy fix...
SteveB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest getting a couple new fire extinguishers.

The one that came with the RV is tiny and old.

Looks to me like you are going to need it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd suggest getting a couple new fire extinguishers.

The one that came with the RV is tiny and old.

Looks to me like you are going to need it.
LOL! I have a new one and it is bigger...I sure would rather not need it!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #12

Mud daubers got into mine, took out the circuit board, solenoid valve and wiring. I had the big cover over the louvers, but now I have the other vent cover on also.
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJKansas View Post
Mud daubers got into mine, took out the circuit board, solenoid valve and wiring. I had the big cover over the louvers, but now I have the other vent cover on also.
Wow, did they eat wires?

Tags
heater, water heater, water