Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #1

Water heater wont light (Gas but no spark)

I have a 2013 Open range 5th wheel with an atwood dometic gas hot water heater with electric ignition. When i go to light it with the button it will turn the gas on and i hear what sounds like a ignition noise (click) with no flame then the gas turns off a few seconds later, this will repeat 3 times before the red light comes on showing ignition fault. I can put a lighter in there and get it to fire but will go out a few seconds later when the gas shuts off. Now i do not see a spark from the igniter when it clicks but shouldn't it still stay lit if i use a lighter? Do i have an ignition problem, injector problem, circuit problem, or something else? I just bought the camper, i love surprises.
kthoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
That sounds like spider webs. blow out the tubing going to going to the pilot
Old 08-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

The igniter serves not only to spark for lighting the burner, but also to sense the presence of the burner flame. If there is no "proof of flame" sent to the control board by the igniter, the system will shut down after three attempts, as you've witnessed.

From your description, it appears that the igniter itself, it's connection to the control board, or the control bord is faulty. The igniter should "tick-tick-tick" at the same time you hear the click of the gas valve opening, and also maintain the flame if lit manually. Since this is not happening, the major suspect is the igniter and its connections. If that is not the remedy, the control board is the next suspect.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #4

Try cleaning the igniter / senser with steel wool be careful don't crack the porcelain or bend the rods. Make sure the igniter is positioned the proper distance from the burner for the spark to jump, check that the wire is not leaking electricity ( sparking some where else)
fleetwood ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

What is ACTUAL Model of your Atwood WH??

G6AA-10E
G10A-4E

Look in outside compartment for Model on the Sticker

You can Light flame via BBQ Lighter.........so Gas Valve is getting DC from Circuit Board
You state you hear CLICK CLICK so spark electrode is getting DC from circuit board

Flame Proving signal (Flame Ionization generates milliamp current circuit board senses to prove flame lit) not returning so DC gets dropped from gas valve

Replace the Spark Electrode
position new on so electrode is engulfed in flame when it lights off
gap should be 1/8' - 3/16' for good strong spark
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

Perfect, we'll try that. the model is the GC10A-4e
kthoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoman View Post
Perfect, we'll try that. the model is the GC10A-4e

That is a combo electric/gas that uses 12VDC as control circuit for BOTH electric and gas

As stated above..........Spark Electrode is vital for gas operation
High Voltage spark AND flame proving signal

Replace the spark electrode assembly
Item #5...electrode/new style
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...tune-up-kit%20

Wiring Diagram
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat, heater, light, water, water heater